Pammi

Laptop recommendations?

I've been asked to do some research into a 'good reliable laptop' for our office. Right now we have a POS Hewlett Packard they bought a couple years ago that the motherboard has already went out of and it freezes up on them constantly.

It looks like the Dell 9100 has good reviews. I know it will make a difference what it's used for, but I don't know specifics yet of what they'll want. Right now they only use the HP one sporadically when there are meetings or depositions out-of-town to work on documents, print them and get on the internet some. So nothing too intensive (so maybe the 9100 is too much for that.)

Any thoughts from the more hardware knowledgable computer geeks out there?

Pammi

Dell laptops, are, in my very limited opinon, pieces of complete crap.:)
Keyboards fall apart like crazy, screen problems, heavy, flimsy... shall I go on?;)

I've had a bout 3 dells and 2 IBMs and I spend quite a bit of time on the road and in planes and by far, IBMs are much sturdier machines.
Remster

I agree. IBM laptops are built tough. They're a bit heavier, but they're beefy and can take more abuse, which is what they'll get as they're schlepped around. It happens.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I just got a powerbook from Apple and I love it you could get the lower end and still get video editing capabilities is a fun plus over the other ones, I was worry about compatability issues but now they solve most of the problems I think they are a lot better for presentations too, just my two cts
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Go for one that will withstand the rigors of life on the road. You will drop a laptop, count on it. I've always had Toshibas and swear by them. Built like tanks (or at least they were). IBMs are another good model. Try to find one with a pointing stick though. The touch pads can get tempermental after a while.

Im the forth vote for IBM...thinkpad series....we had them at the last place I worked, and they take a beating and work well. I was the third level support geek for them, and well....we had excellent reliabilty out of them. Now having that said, they are not cheep, but you get what you pay for...

add...that I have a toshiba at home that rocks, but that was because i couldnt afford the t40 i wanted :S
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

funny I do my reasearch on everything at dz.com too;)

want a smaller canopy..... dz.com

want a new car.... dz.com

which gun to buy.... dz.com

the hip new religion dz.com

with that said.... I bought my first laptop... a dell cheapo model 1100:S
but it does everything I want it to.... I just wish I spent the extra to get a p-4.... only regret...
they do weigh alittle more than there counterpart...
but laptops like phones i like the weight... light makes me think I am going to break it....
that's all i got

EVERY manufacturer out there has had issues. IMO, it's not what issues the piece of hardware is going to have, it's how the problem will be rectified. All hardware will have issues at one point.

Again, my vote is for Toshiba.

and if you want to dig up issues, Dell had a major notebook battery problem in 01 - batteries were getting hot and catching on fire. CPQ later issued a release with the same problem. HP had faulty LCD's in 2000. Gateway had bad memory at one point.

I just got a powerbook from Apple and I love it you could get the lower end and still get video editing capabilities is a fun plus over the other ones, I was worry about compatability issues but now they solve most of the problems I think they are a lot better for presentations too, just my two cts

My view follows:
http://members.cox.net/clyqz/macs.html

I'll repeat what's been said. Dell's quality has gone way down and their customer service sucks big time. A few years ago, I'd have recommended them, but no longer. You wouldn't believe the problems we've had with the few we bought here before we learned our lesson. :P

Personally, I think Apple makes the best laptop hardware out there today and they're very price-competitive (at least on the laptops).

If you _must_ have a PC, my vote would probably be IBM or a Panasonic Toughbook. Toshiba is OK but they've always had poor battery life, in my experience (it's been a few years since I had one though).

Last time I had to make this call, I ended up with a Powerbook and I'll never go back. B|
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I've never used a Mac, but that was SO funny!

Personally, I think Apple makes the best laptop hardware out there today and they're very price-competitive (at least on the laptops).

Yeah, it'll have to be a PC because no one at my work can even send an email without screaming for help so there's NO WAY they could learn (or I'd try to teach them) a new system! Trust me, these people frighten me. I had to drive to work (a 40 minute commute) last Saturday because my boss couldn't figure out how to copy a document to a floppy disc, even when I tried to walk her through it!

Pammi

another vote for Mac. I LOVE my ibook.

To be honest i would say Macs were a lot easier to use than PC's, so it might actually be a better idea if they're not computer savvy :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I just bought a new laptop. Acer has a wonderful tablet PC/Laptop.

http://www.acer.com/APP/AKC/INTERNET/AACPubli.nsf/allDocs/RWP0B47DA51C082127C88256DB900697D15?OpenDocument#model

Try this one.

2 free screen replacements per year for 3 years. Full 3 year service plan.

I love this thing. Use it as a tablet or a pc. Type or Write. You choose. 8.5 hour battery life. Worth every penny I sepnt on it.

:PWhat do you know? You don't speak proper English:D.

Actually, for your information, it is protection from dropping it off a car, from an airplane, writing too hard, scratching the screen with your watch band while writing, lean against it with your arm too hard, bang it into the door as carry your computer bag around, etc.

And in case you go to flip and twist it and it does, somehow break :S.

You skeptic.

I have an IBM A31 that I have used constantly 5 days a week for the last 2 years and have had only one problem with the video card. Since then my company has been bought out and now only buy Dell. Dell sucks! Their laptops are flimsy and I have had call them numerous times for warranty work on their laptops. At least their servers are not that bad.

I have to admit, I bought a Dell two years ago and it has never been that great. Not bad, but not great. And now I have to keep the speaker shut off or I get what sounds like alien static coming from my speakers? And the warranty is up so I would have to pay for it and since I hate the damn thing anyway and my wife loves it I decided to buy the Acer for myself.:ph34r:

Read most of the other replies, and here's one more vote for IBM. I've had a T40 through work for the last year, and it's one hardy little machine. The only recommendation I would add is to get a USB mouse to go with it, much easier on your wrists and fingers than trying to use the button.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash