skybytch

What would you do?

You've spent the past four months grounded due to some part of your body giving out - say something along the lines of at least one disc in your neck, which creates pain in your shoulder and tingling down your arm. Over that four months your symptoms have gotten better - they haven't gone away but they've become tolerable. You've been jonesing for a skydive and the symptoms have lessened so you get yourself up in the air. You're happy.

Around twenty four hours after that jump your symptoms return with a vengeance. Even the hard core pain killers that you've got put aside for bad days don't cut it. You don't have medical insurance and you don't make the big bucks so doctor visits are not an option.

You are 20-ish jumps from hitting a milestone - one of those pieable offenses. You've been chasing this milestone jump for several years.

What would you do? Would you say screw the pain and the possibility of doing more damage and get yourself on an airplane a couple dozen more times as soon as possible? Or would you ground yourself until you have medical insurance and can get the problem fixed?

Lisa,
Just me, but those 900 some what jumps aren't going anywhere. Please take care of yourself first. It's more important. I know it's gotta be tough, but hang in there.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Having a similar (although much less serious) issue myself atm. [:/]

I was due to be jumping in the first competition of the season, 1st competition with the team etc. thsi weekend... and I have a horrific head cold. [:/] I know if I jump I will damage my ears and take myself out for much longer than this cold will… [:/] and I too am approaching a milestone (not quite as close, but still approaching)…

My decision has been to ask the team to call in an alternate and to sit it out on the ground. It’s not what I want to do, but I don't want to cause myself unnecessary pain or damage myself and I know it’s the sensible thing for me to do. [:/][:/][:/] That milestone will happen eventually...

Sucks, huh?!

Vicki

Lisa --

I'd ground myself until I had medical insurance and could get the problem fixed. We're talking about your spine. I'm not medical expert, but I'd be worried that damage to your spine could affect you for the rest of your life.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening. [:/] It sucks. But your health is so key to a fulfilling life. I only have 51 jumps and less than a year in the sport, so I may not understand how badly you're jonesing, but nothing is worth more than your health.

Personally, I'd go into debt to get and keep health insurance. What if you had an accident on a jump? :|

OK, enough of the newbie shooting her mouth off. :P Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Vibes,

Jennifer

I think you already have kicked ass with 900 + jumps.

Your health is # 1 just wait till your better. As others have said your jumps aren't going any ware.
Good luck Sky
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Lisa,
How long before you get metal insurance?

Maybe go to a clinic in the area, and explain your situation. Bring papers showing just how little money you make, and see if they can get you set up on some kind of payment plan to see a doctor there.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Take care of yourself now before you do more damage. A healthy spinal column might come in handy in the next 50 years.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Around twenty four hours after that jump your symptoms return with a vengeance. Even the hard core pain killers that you've got put aside for bad days don't cut it.

Now multiply this by twenty. And, if you damage something, multiply it by fifty.

Hope you feel better soon.

Take your time. No hurry! :)
Besides, if you're anxious to get pied, I'm sure you wouldn't find a shortage of willing, helpful, compassionate friends to just do it to you anyway. :D:ph34r:
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think i'm by far the worst patient ever. Doctors hate me cause i never do what i'm supposed to. In my head i know you should wait, but if it was me, i prolly wouldn't. I have a tendency to always do the wrong thing and make bad decisions. Don't be stupid like me!! Take care of yourself girl.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Lisa:

You know the answer. I've always noted and appreciated your canopy nazi "safety first" approach.

For you to keep jumping now is no better than you selling me, a 200 pound, 18 jump uncurrent wonder, a 190 Stiletto. With time I'll be able to jump it safely.

With time, you'll be able to jump safely, too. You can't take care of others without taking care fo yourself. Trust me - you're precautions have worked into my thinking greatly (I'll go back up to that Nav 280 on my next jump).

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Lisa, I know you are anxious girl, but if you do worse damage to your disc you could end up not being able to skydive forever. Jumping should not be an option. Can you afford to be layed up for the rest of your life? Think about it. Back injuries are not to be messed with. While I understand it is frustrating to not have medical insurance at the moment to get this problem taken care of quickly and get back in the air, the irrepairable damage could render you unable to even earn a living for yourself.

Call around to doctors and see if there is one who is willing to "assist" you with some kind of payment arrangements, etc. Or check with your state for some kind of assisted medical insurance. Here in this area there is insurance from the county for small business owners (must have at least 2 employees - yourself and one other). It is possible there is some help available out there for you.
FGF #6
Darcy

You wait until you can resolve the issue with your neck. I know this well; I have almost an identical condition, but thankfully, am blessed with very good health care.

If you don't reach your milestone for a few more months or even a year while you wait for good health care, what's the worst about that? So the 1000 jump milestone doesn't come as soon as you want it to. But you've been patient and have pursued that milestone for some time... it has waited this long. It can wait a little longer.

If, however, while jumping to reach that milestone with your neck in its current condition, you injure your neck further and sustain irreversible damage to it, well, you can see where I'm going with that.

Is chasing that milestone worth the risk to your neck and long term health? I would say absolutely not.

Take care of your health first. The milestone will still be there for you to reach, and you will get there, but don't risk too much on your way.

Cheers -

FunBobby

You've spent the past four months grounded due to some part of your body giving out - say something along the lines of at least one disc in your neck, which creates pain in your shoulder and tingling down your arm. Over that four months your symptoms have gotten better - they haven't gone away but they've become tolerable. You've been jonesing for a skydive and the symptoms have lessened so you get yourself up in the air. You're happy.

Around twenty four hours after that jump your symptoms return with a vengeance. Even the hard core pain killers that you've got put aside for bad days don't cut it. You don't have medical insurance and you don't make the big bucks so doctor visits are not an option.

You are 20-ish jumps from hitting a milestone - one of those pieable offenses. You've been chasing this milestone jump for several years.

What would you do? Would you say screw the pain and the possibility of doing more damage and get yourself on an airplane a couple dozen more times as soon as possible? Or would you ground yourself until you have medical insurance and can get the problem fixed?

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Pain Pain go away never come back any day.

Probably be Wize and due to the Pain and
the afflicting amount would have to say--
(Nope it just dont add up to my own Risk)
Otherwords its not worth creating more
Bad damage that could possibly put me in a Wheelchair at an earlier date..

Sometimes You just gotta say No and
come out ahead while You still have the chance.
[:/]
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

I would also quit smoking (if you haven't done that already.) There are some surgeries that orthopedic surgeons refuse to perform on smokers, because smokers just don't heal as well as nonsmokers

Bill - awesome point.

Last year, I was looking at the possibility of facing some serious orthopedic surgery, part of which involved using a bone graft; for that, the surgeons stated that they would obtain some allograft (tissue) from an outside source, and the chances of my body successfully accepting that tissue were better than 95%.

They also said that in smokers, many of the capillaries in bones get destroyed, making the bones more difficult to heal and reducing the chances of them successfully accepting grafts, especially from outside sources. The ortho surgeon told me that had I smoked, he would not perform the surgery on me without obtaining a graft from a bone somewhere else in my body - in this case, my hip. He said that in that case, I might be trading neck and back pain for the hip pain for the rest of my life. Ugh.

But thankfully, all is well with me now. It's good to have that information, though.

Cheers -

FunBobby

What would you do?

NO jump is so important that it cannot be cancelled or postponed till another time.

If you really screw yourself up...You might not EVER make another jump.

Or would you ground yourself until you have medical insurance and can get the problem fixed?

Bingo...And if you need a few jumps you can have some of mine....;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Lisa,
Take care of yourself. When I was injured and unable to jump I used that "ground time to help out on the dz even if it was motivating a scared student. Yeah I know what your thinking the sky is where you would rather be, but less face it, you dont need to take the uneccesary risk right know. Hang in there babe, you'll pull through. We're pulling for you. Take care
zulu

Well sister, take some advice from someone who doesn't know how to take advice. Hold off a bit, or at least keep them to slow speed openings. You know very short delay.

I tried skydiving this past weekend. Twisted my back a little on the launch. Have hardly been able to walk since then, leg and hip are as bad as five weeks ago. just because I did not want to waste a beautiful weather weekend. Darn nerve is all inflamed again.

Wait if at all possible, I know how you feel. And if you just plain can't...keep em slow;)
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Dayum Brother!

You're still hurting??:S Sorry to hear that!

Lisa, I think you already know the answer, especially since you've already gone through so much with your back. You know what's at stake here. Be patient, the sky will be there for you when you are ready. (If it makes you feel any better, I've been grounded since November!)

maura