Vallerina

What would you do with time and money?

It seems that I'm one of the many who will be jobless. My job ends in about 10 months, and I will be getting 3 months severance. I know many of you have been in a similar situation, and I'm just wanting to get other's stories/thoughts.

A lot of it comes down to either being responsible or having fun. There are so many things on my "list of stuff to do before I die," and I'm one of the many that always say, "One day..." Is that day March 1, 2005?

Option 1) Take most of that money and go somewhere I've always wanted to go/do. I could fly to Australia and wander about there and New Zealand. I could take a train tour through Europe. These are things I really want to do. However, nobody I know would be able to go with me. I'm not sure how much fun it would be to see something cool and have nobody there to share it with. I'd have to my comments to myself! They'd probably commit me! :D However, I also don't see an opportunity like this happening again any time soon.

Option 2) Pick a place where I've always wanted to live, and live there no matter what. I'd job search, but if I haven't found anything, move somewhere else and take a lower paying job if I have to.

Option 3) Live with my parents until I find another job.

I'm guessing I'll get a lot of, "Live your dreams!" posts. That takes guts, and I don't think I have those. I like my steady income. I like my health benefits. I like "security." It's nice.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Securing a new job needs to be your first priority. Figure out whether or not you want to move to a new city. If so, relocate, and then job hunt. After you find a job, then you can use the rest of the severance money to take a trip somewhere or buy jump tickets or whatnot.

Securing a new job needs to be your first priority.

The only problem with that is that I don't want to do actuarial work anymore. I'm at the same point I was 6 years ago...I don't know what I want to do! :D I'll do it if I have to, though.

I'm to the point I'm like the guy in "Office Space" I would probably do nothing.

Just do nothing.. sit around and do nothing.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I'm to the point I'm like the guy in "Office Space" I would probably do nothing.

So you are saying that you would be like sunshine then??????:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

nobody I know would be able to go with me. I'm not sure how much fun it would be to see something cool and have nobody there to share it with.

I used to think like u till i met a wise man who told me "you ARE the party..."

Where ever u go, u will meet new people, and make new friends. it worked well for me in my travels, it's the most interesting way to travel in my opinion. i've been traveling alone for the past 2 years and i'm so glad i did it by myself, i got to go exactly where i wanted or where synchoronicity took me, and i met just the right people when i needed to most.

so all in all, not having anybody to go with is never an excuse. follow what ur intuition tells u...

So you are saying that you would be like sunshine then??????:D:D

Ouch Brains that's harsh.

Seriously, I've had such a rough ride the last few years I would just like the world to stop and let me off for a breather. Take a time out and do nothing.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Where ever u go, u will meet new people, and make new friends.

But, I'm so shy! :ph34r: I understand what you're saying, though. I'm sure that places that I want to go to, I'd even meet people there and share that experience with others. However, that's not a guarantee.

I envy people like you, though, who think nothing of just travelling wherever by yourself for that long! I would love to do it, but it scares me!

Screw being responsible. Move to Florida, work on a dropzone, live in a tent and be happy. B|

Unfortunately, none of that would make me happy (I don't like FL and I don't want to work on a dz!) I could see myself becoming a hobo, though.

I envy people like you, though, who think nothing of just travelling wherever by yourself for that long! I would love to do it, but it scares me!

I think you already know what you want to do.. just waiting for someone else to tell/convince you that it is ok to do.

So here it is "IT IS OK, GO DO IT GIRL!" :)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

travelling wherever by yourself for that long! I would love to do it, but it scares me!

You can do it. I went to Europe for 6 weeks, camping, bicycling, and using trains, after college. I had a fabulous time. I started out with only the roughest of plans ("see England, France, Scotland") and ended up with a wonderful set of experiences.

I slept in a car once (the campground had delayed its opening, no money for a hotel, so I walked into the police station and asked if I could sleep in the paddy wagon because the train station looked gross), made plans in Cambridge to meet someone in Paris (Paris is a city to see with someone), and did a host of wonderful things, and saw a host of wonderful things.

So travel. Find somewhere cool, and make a plan to travel there in a way that gives you joy.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'll tell you what I'd do:

2 chicks at the same time.

Maybe you'd need money for that, but time? shouldnt last more then 2 minutes! :D

Travel a bit Val. Its easy when you dont have any obligations home (mortgage, kids, spouse - well Sethica doesnt really count;)).
Remster

----------------------------------------------------------
So you are saying that you would be like sunshine then??????
----------------------------------------------------------
Ouch Brains that's harsh.

Things i did at work so far today....i called Sweden from the work phone, went to a lunch thing and had free pizza & cupcakes, and painted my toenails. Man this job sucks!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

"list of stuff to do before I die"; New Zealand. I could take a train tour through Europe; "Live your dreams!"
***My suggestions would be: time is precious, spend everyday as if it's your last. Follow your dreams, put some money aside in the savings....keep some to do your traveling, see the world before starting a family. Opportunity like this only comes knocking once....rarely twice.

Good luck!

"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

well Sethica doesnt really count;)).

That bitch is always taking my money and spending it on crack!

Travelling sounds great, and it's something I've always wanted to do. Maybe I should just take a really cool month long vacation or something. It's not like I would spend all of my severance on it. Actually, I'll probably take a vacation either way....it's just more of a decision whether I take a small one or a life changing one!

After that, I still don't know what to do! Does anybody in a cool city need to hire me? :D

Things i did at work so far today....i called Sweden from the work phone, went to a lunch thing and had free pizza & cupcakes, and painted my toenails. Man this job sucks!!

Do you have any openings available?:D:ph34r:

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Val you're still pretty young and NOW is the time to enjoy your youth ("Youth is wasted on the young")
Travel it's propably the single BEST thing I have ever done.
Work will come when you need it, and you'll be surpised from where.
Come out to Oz, if you get to the West coast theres a spare room for you.
Travel around meet people make friends learn new cutlures, Back-Pack thorugh SE Asia.:)

You're a long time dead, so enjoy it whilst you're alive
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Vallerina, You're an Actuary!!! It shouldn't be hard at all to transfer over to another Insurance Company. Heck, I'm working on my Exams right now, and I see people being offered jobs left and right with just two or three exams knocked off! Is there something about the industry I need to keep my eye out for? Whats going on? :S
=========Shaun ==========

val,

go do something.. worry about life later......... if i had things to do over i wouldn't of got such a restrictive job and i would be a bum!!! well not rally but there are somany things i wouldlike to do but can't cuz i don't have the time or money. and well very rarely do you have both time and money to do something........ and as the song whose namei can't remeber.... the lyrics are something along the lines " it's gona take a lot of time and a lot of money a lot of spending money" and yeah it talking about a girl but well turn it to suit what ever you want....