Rdutch

Spanish Flamenco guitar. Favorite bands/songs?

Little do people know, especially the ones that deal with the Pantera ect I play in the hanger. Im a huge fan of Spanish style quitar. I have played guitar for over 20 years, and now if I pick up a guitar, the main thing I play is flamenco. Weird being in bands from thrash to speed metal, to rock, weirder that I never play guitar in front of people anymore.
I was a once Yngwie clone but now I like to tone it down, and I really want nothing to do with an amp. MY favorite quitar is a nylon string guitar I love the sound, and the feel.

That said, I have been searching for something new to listen to, for inspiration. I love Al Dimolea, and the acoustic Vinnie Moore stuff, as well as Santana's stuff. Anyone have any recomendations to some real Spanish Flamenco quitar out there, bands, songs ect.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

No suggestions on musicians or anything..I think its great music, though. And I'm really grooving on this cause one of my ESL students is having her first solo recital at Carnegie Hall...and she plays Classical Spanish...how lovely!! keep it up, Rdutch..I look forward to hearing you play one day (specially in a hangar. I can dance on the wing of an Otter).~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Sharon Isbin.

In her youth, she was tutored by Segovia himself!

Give a listen to her album "Dreams of a World" (Grammy Winner). It's not Flamenco, but it's pure classical guitar style (and she's VERY easy on the eyes, too! B|)

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Flamenco has three different elements: dance (baile), song (cante) and, of course, the intense guitar (guitarra). I trained with a Flamenco dance company in Houston for many years.

Contemporary Flamenco, which may irk many Flamenco purist, has been infused with Latin, Salsa, and Western styles. Growing up as a child, my father played the "traditional" Flamenco. As an adult, I enjoy the Contemporary Flamenco. Both to me are beautiful.

Have you heard Jesse Cook (Canadian) and Otmar Liebert (German)?

~g

If you haven't already, you gotta check this guy out. He plays classical guitar but he also does classical versions of rock songs. He does a classical guitar version of Bohemain Rapsody. You would love this.

http://www.edgarcruz.com/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/208679/ref=m_art_dp/002-3574311-4028804

How do ya like it Johnny?

"Anyone have any recomendations to some real Spanish Flamenco quitar out there, bands, songs ect."

Try and check out music by Joaquin Rodrigo, the composer (not renowned as a performer) of the fairly famous Guitar Concertos aka the Concierto de Aranjuez. Its fairly popular so should be easy to find in the 'classical' section of your music store, or as MP3.
I like it and it helps me chill.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Well, Andres Segovia is da man! Also, the gypsy Kings just came out with a new album.

If you want some nice stuff, try Ottmar Liebert. This dude is a cat out of Albuquerque New Mexico who just does some wonderful stuff (nice makeout music - chicks dig it). He's got nice backing and smooth solo spanish guitar that is deceptively easy to play yourself. Brilliant, simple and great.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Well, Andres Segovia is da man! Also, the gypsy Kings just came out with a new album.

If you want some nice stuff, try Ottmar Liebert. This dude is a cat out of Albuquerque New Mexico who just does some wonderful stuff (nice makeout music - chicks dig it). He's got nice backing and smooth solo spanish guitar that is deceptively easy to play yourself. Brilliant, simple and great.

Do check out Ottmar he is Da Man
David

i dunno.. but i took Guitar in college and my teacher, cant remember her name but she was supposedly some very well known classical guitarist, she was always going on concerts all over the world. she had a guitar with the nylon strings and it was like EXTREMELY old, holy shit could she play that thing. I didnt even learn how to play, we spent all of the class time just listening to her play. just amazing.

Azúcar Moreno is a spanish duo, their music is Flamenco.
Maybe some of the shows of Joaquín Cortés (the flamenco dancer) in dvd may have in the credits names of the groups that played in it.
Check out these sites:

http://www.worldmusiccentral.org/staticpages/index.php/flamenco.htm

Or

http://www.flamenco-world.com/indice.htm

¡Éxito!
LiquidSky
@(^_^)@

Cool man. Rock on....dont really know any spanish music. I did find a spanish rap channel out here in denver though.:D

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.