tunaplanet

Fake Moon Landing

If the president can’t get a blowjob in the white house without us finding out, how could they fake a moon landing? :|

There are 2 types of people in this world: those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't. --Bill Murray

Plus, no other country has been there or seems to care about going.

I've curiously looked at some of the evidence on these websites before, but like some people have mentioned there's a rebuttal and counter rebuttal for every point. Besides, who knows what's been photoshopped. What ccowden pointed out is what I have always found interesting. In the time of the cold war there was this race to be the first. Since then we don't go back and no one else has bothered going yet we have this incredible technology that blows the other out of the water. Just interesting, that's all.
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

That's because there is a profound lack of will.

There are whiners who bitch about the amount of money being "wasted" on the space program, when "IT COULD BE USED TO FEED THE POOR!" - yadda, yadda, yadda.

What they're so conveniently not telling you is this:

The NASA budget from its establishment by JFK in 1961 up through and including Apollo 11, was about 25 Billion dollars.

The amount of money spent on LBJ's "Great Society" programs was about 250 Billion for roughly the same period. These numbers are of course rounded and anectdotal, but with a little research, you can find the facts this remark is based on. I first read it in Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins' autobiography, "Carrying the Fire". I have no reason to doubt his observation was dead-on.

mh

Mods, this thread is starting to look like it might get on the ol' wagon train and mosey on over to Speaker's Corner...:D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I think that the kid who wrote the report started out very unscientifically right from the beginning, by deciding what he wanted to prove and then going about collecting "evidence."

Wouldn't the proper scientific investigative method be to simply say, "I want to answer the question, 'Did we really go to the moon'" instead of saying, "I'm going to prove we didn't"? The facts that are found should dictate what one believes: one should not pick something to believe and then look for the reasons why it could be claimed to be correct.

One thing stood out in his claims, and that was about the thrust generated by the landing of the LEM. I don't have a photo of the lunar surface under the LEM to analyze, but I don't recall having seen a dimple underneath it where thrusters would likely have blown away a lot of the "sand" of the lunar surface there. I wonder...

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

The area that Eagle landed in was blanketed in fine dust, but which covered an extremely hard surface; so much so that Aldrin had to use the side of a hammer with both hands in order to drive a core sample tube in far enough to collect some material.

While doing his initial walk-around inspection of the LEM, Armstrong remarked that "...the engine did not leave a crater in the ground..."

When they were landing, Armstrong and Aldrin (who were at the time working madly to save their asses - heh) noticed that although some dust flew up and obscured the surface, most of it shot away at high speed horizontally.

As for the kook, I honestly can't tell if he's just deluded somehow (which seems likely, given his abysmal grasp of grade-school scientific principles) or is just "crazy like a fox", and putting on an elaborate act to fleece the rubes who, in addition to being gullible about nutcase conspiracy theories like the so-called "moon-landing hoax", also swear that there is a face on Mars....:D

mh

The area that Eagle landed in was blanketed in fine dust, but which covered an extremely hard surface; so much so that Aldrin had to use the side of a hammer with both hands in order to drive a core sample tube in far enough to collect some material.

While doing his initial walk-around inspection of the LEM, Armstrong remarked that "...the engine did not leave a crater in the ground..."

Those fraudsters -- they think of everything, cover all bases...

No, seriously, glad you came out with that info. I certainly don't count myself among those who believe it was all faked. Like I said, it's not scientific to form a belief before facts are gathered. To convince yourself that something is true and then go looking for the reasons for believing is backward. It amounts to a deliberate effort to not find the reasons for believing a contrary conclusion.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Very interesting I have read all of the post and haven't seen it mentioned yet.

To the best of my knowledge we landed (each time)on the backside of the moon. So that the LEM and Astronauts wouldn't be in the direct sunlight and any radiation from the sun.

The Astronauts set up lights and used flashes/strobes to take the pictures. This helps in explaining different light sources, shadows and the way the surface fades off in the background of some photos.

You will never see the base of the LEM's or the rover (still there) or the US Flag for that matter though a telescope as they are all on the back side of the moon

The one question that comes to mind is
Why the moon does not rotate on it's own axis.
It rotates around Earth, however it doesn't spin as Earth does.

Nick

Nick D

The key to Immortality is- first living a life worth remembering”

To the best of my knowledge we landed (each time)on the backside of the moon. So that the LEM and Astronauts wouldn't be in the direct sunlight and any radiation from the sun.

The Astronauts set up lights and used flashes/strobes to take the pictures. This helps in explaining different light sources, shadows and the way the surface fades off in the background of some photos.

You will never see the base of the LEM's or the rover (still there) or the US Flag for that matter though a telescope as they are all on the back side of the moon

Nick

WTF?! :D

mh

Read here...
http://www.nineplanets.org/luna.html

" As the Moon orbits around the Earth once per month, the angle between the Earth, the Moon and the Sun changes; we see this as the cycle of the Moon's phases. The time between successive new moons is 29.5 days (709 hours), slightly different from the Moon's orbital period (measured against the stars) since the Earth moves a significant distance in its orbit around the Sun in that time.

The asymmetric nature of this gravitational interaction is also responsible for the fact that the Moon rotates synchronously, i.e. it is locked in phase with its orbit so that the same side is always facing toward the Earth.

Nick D

The key to Immortality is- first living a life worth remembering”

I belive.

I belive i can fly
I believe i can touch the skyyy
I think about it ev'ry night and day.....Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar.....See me running through that open door
I believe I can fly....I believe I can fly.....I believe I can fly

oh.. uhhh :S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I belive.

I belive i can fly
I believe i can touch the skyyy
I think about it ev'ry night and day.....Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar.....See me running through that open door
I believe I can fly....I believe I can fly.....I believe I can fly

<>And IIIIII-YIIIIIII-YIIIII.....will always......sniff gluuuueeeeuuuuuuueeeeeuuuuuuuu!!!!!

sorry, what were we talking about? oh yeah: mooning.

so is a moon landing one where you try to land standing up & you land on your ass?
:S
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

The first landing was in the Sea of Tranquility. That's on the light side of the moon.

In (partial) answer to Ron's question. Why can't we just take a picture of the landing site?

It comes down to resolution. Being able to image such a small thing.

When the landers took off from the surface, they left behind the actuall landing bit (name?). If you assume that this is about 10 m across, and that the Earth-Moon distance is 385000 km, then we are trying to look at something that subtends an angle at the Earth of ~1.5 x 10^-6 degrees. That is small.

Assuming that you could image at the diffraction limit, through the atmosphere, you would need an optical telescope with a collecting diameter of 33 m to image the moon.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

uhhhh. nah, we landed on the light side of the moon.
did anyone see the movie they made over it. basically, they had to fly around the dark side of the moon during the mission, and everyone back at NASA was freaked out since it ment losing communications for a while.

and one thing most people don't know is that the russians sent a probe to the moon right before the landings... they hoped to bring back some space rocks and so they could at least say they beat us to that... but the probe crashed, and they think because it didn't have a skilled astronaut pilot landing it.

and the reason we don't go back to the moon now is because there is really no reason to... theres nothing of value there, and we have enough moon rocks to study. of course, soon we might be building a base there in order to go to mars :S

MB 3528, RB 1182

A good point that was made (as to why the landing was fake) was that there was no way that the US government or NASA would have shown the thing live on world wide TV when they had no idea what would happen. The presenter bloke suggested that the possibility of the astronauts getting killed as they stepped off the lander didn't go down well with NASA etc. It was also stated that NASA did do dummy runs in the desert.

So. What about the possibility that all the stuff we (well not me, I'm too young) saw live, and the "One small step for man" thing was pre-made and fake, to make sure that nothing nasty was seen? Once the mission was known to be successful the other photos (like the colour ones) were releaed.

Before you ask, yes I do think that NASA has landed on the moon, just questioning if the grainy black and white photos that are most often complained about real (including the originaly video footage). Sorry, like stirring the pot

OK, this ones easy.
Of course they made practice runs in the desert, they weren't going to send men all the way to the moon for them to get there and think 'Huh, what do we do now?' As for not wanting to show astronauts dying, Apollo one was pretty public, as have been the two shuttle disasters.

On to the quality of the images. The grainy black and white images are from the electronic video cameras designed to video the astronauts and beam footage back to the earth as it was happening.
The reason it was so crap is weight. How much do you think a TV quality camera would have weighed in 1969 and do you think they would have had space for it in the lunar module. No. The live pictures were purely for dramatic effect and in no way intended to be detailed images.
The reason that the sharp colour photos were only released after the mission was over is they were taken on film! How could we possibly see film images when they were still on the moon?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Nick

The moon does in fact rotate on its axis, it just rotates at the same rate at which it revolves around the Earth. Because of this, the same side is always facing the Earth.

A question for those who suggest we photograph the landing area with Hubble: Why would you believe that photo any more than the thousands of other photos taken?

Aside from this, I have read that things like an American flag or the lunar lander are far too small to be seen by Hubble from this distance.

"Aside from this, I have read that things like an American flag or the lunar lander are far too small to be seen by Hubble from this distance."

And besides, the flag, when seen from above would look like

o--------------

kinda hard to detect really.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

(answering a few at once here)

>Can you tell me why we have not been back to the moon is 30 years?

Cause it's expensive.

>To the best of my knowledge we landed (each time)on the backside
> of the moon. So that the LEM and Astronauts wouldn't be in the
>direct sunlight and any radiation from the sun.

The 'backside' of the moon is not the same as the dark side of the moon. The moon rotates every 28 days. Landing on the far side of the moon is a big problem because you can't communicate line-of-sight with the earth. Also, landing, walking and driving around in the dark was considered more dangerous than the additional exposure to radiation incurred from operating in daylight.

>You will never see the base of the LEM's or the rover (still there) or
> the US Flag for that matter though a telescope as they are all on
> the back side of the moon.

All moon landings were on the side of the moon that faces us. We left a laser reflector there at one site; with a good enough laser and a decent telescope you can still see it.

>Why the moon does not rotate on it's own axis.

It rotates every 28 days.

>It rotates around Earth, however it doesn't spin as Earth does.

You may be referring to the fact that the moon is tide-locked to earth; one side always faces the earth. When a planet or moon does NOT do this, there are tides that result in movement in both the oceans (which move a lot) and the land (which moves very little.) This motion produces friction, and this friction gradually slows the body until it 'stops' in relation to the body it's orbiting around. The earth, BTW, will eventually tide-lock to the moon, and the same side of the earth and the moon will always face each other.

The 'backside' of the moon is not the same as the dark side of the moon.

"....thump-thump...thump-thump...thump-thump....

"...There's no Dark Side of the Moon, really....actually, it's all dark..."

....thump-thump...thump-thump...thump-thump...."

B|;):D

mh