erdnarob

Falling down in your canopy

A recent conversation I had with skydivers was about the possibility of falling in your canopy after a drastic series of manoeuvers. Some thought it was possible after doing a deep stall and letting go the toggles suddenly while some other thought it was impossible due to the centrifugal forces keeping the lines taut. Maybe the first question should be "is it possible to get your own canopy below you while flying it ?"
Anybody having seen (or heard about) this unusual experience or comments about it ?
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

A recent conversation I had with skydivers was about the possibility of falling in your canopy after a drastic series of manoeuvers. Some thought it was possible after doing a deep stall and letting go the toggles suddenly while some other thought it was impossible due to the centrifugal forces keeping the lines taut. Maybe the first question should be "is it possible to get your own canopy below you while flying it ?"
Anybody having seen (or heard about) this unusual experience or comments about it ?

I discussed this with my first instructor long ago.
I was told the the line set on skydiving canopies does not allow to create this kind of deadly warp, although it might be done with paragliding equipment.

Talk to Brian Germaine about this, I am pretty sure that he came close to pulling it off a few years back, too.

isnt that story even in "the parachute and its pilot", or "transcending fear"!? i kinda think i remember reading about it..

anyway, both good books to read.. :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Sure it's possible. I have only seen it done on video of a highly loaded smaller canopy - after a speed inducing dive the pilot made an aggressive move and completed a barrel roll. I can imagine if not donw quickly enough or with enough speed one could fall into the lines.

Sure it's possible. I have only seen it done on video of a highly loaded smaller canopy - after a speed inducing dive the pilot made an aggressive move and completed a barrel roll. I can imagine if not donw quickly enough or with enough speed one could fall into the lines.

*hint*back-risers*hint*

err, cough-cough!? :o

speed is VERY important..

:D:D:D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

There was a fatality October 25th, 1998 in Delaware caused by someone falling through his own canopy. It was the day of my first jump at a nearby DZ. I believe he was trying to loop his canopy. Can't find the incident report right now...

Dave

Talk to Brian Germaine about this, I am pretty sure that he came close to pulling it off a few years back, too.

isnt that story even in "the parachute and its pilot", or "transcending fear"!? i kinda think i remember reading about it..

Yes, it was in "parachute and its pilot". And while I liked that book very much, I really can't say the same about Transcending Fear. Couldn't even finish that one. Haha.

Yes, it was in "parachute and its pilot". And while I liked that book very much, I really can't say the same about Transcending Fear. Couldn't even finish that one. Haha.

fair enough; i'ts kind hard to finish as a skydiver; but int their intentions, and the public they try to answer, both books are very good..

to be honest, i didnt like "transcending fear" much either, but anyway, both were good books for the beginning skydiver.. :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

It most certainly is possible, and I've directly seen the malfunction that resulted and it was UGLY.

It's not so much doing a deep stall and letting up (that can cause line twists), but doing the barrel roll that you saw posted in the youtube video. Not having enough energy to complete the roll can result in you falling onto the canopy.

As a result, no matter how cool the barrel roll looks, it is one thing that I have never attempted, and never will.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Possible or not, it sure scared the hell out of me when I first intentionally stalled my first square canopy followed by the stupid panic that let the toggles back up like they were shot out of a canon.

Seeing the horizon well above the canopy and the slack lines gave me the mental image of a Christmas present.

Yes, I had prior warning about the let-up.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Let me just go on record as saying that it's not possible.

John LeBlanc begs to differ: http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_Disciplines_C3/Swooping_and_Canopy_Control_F4/Canopy_Aerobatics_P112305/#112255

No question, a poorly executed attempt at a barrel roll can end badly.

_Am

What the fuck does that guy know about parachute flight?

In Reply To
In Reply To

John LeBlanc begs to differ: http://www.dropzone.com/...tics_P112305/#112255

_Am

Are you serious or just joking around? You do know who John LeBlanc is?

In Reply To
In Reply To

_Am

He's like, um, the dude who answers the phone for Icarus right? Am I close?

In Reply To
In Reply To

_Am

LOL

In Reply To
In Reply To

_Am

Click here young grass hopper...

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

In Reply To
In Reply To

_Am

that should be so obvious to be sarcasm it doesn't even need a smiley after it imo. :)

John LeBlanc begs to differ: http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_Disciplines_C3/Swooping_and_Canopy_Control_F4/Canopy_Aerobatics_P112305/#112255

_Am

It would seem that your sarcasm was a little too subtle for this crowd. :)