lewmonst

Is this bonus question too hard for 6th graders?

not too tough, with the diagrams they could actually just count the triangles to get the answer. they'd have to be able to visualize a little to do it that way though, but hey, it's a bonus question!
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Well it IS for extra credit and therefore should be slightly advanced, but yes a 6th grader can do this.
figuring out the answer to this is not about how smart you are, but rather it tests your logical reasoning ability.
6th graders are just as capable of this type of thought as anyone.
__

My mighty steed

My son just finished up the 7th grade and math is his best subject (he's in the 99th percentile on the state test.) He said it's too hard for a regular test question, but not for an extra credit question. As he said, "it's extra credit. It's supposed to be hard."
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

As a bonus question covering material they know I think it is fine. Your really good mathematicians will get it and those who either have no love/skill/brain for math won't. Totally fair.

I think I'll use it on my kids since we homeschool. Sounds like a good test question, hehehehe.

I think that it is an excellent question. Stage 1 is being able to work problems. Stage 2 is being able to translate something real-world into an abstract (math problem).

The crux of the problem is not doing (1/4) to the n power. The problem is realizing what power. The first series has been done already. There are 4 triangles in the first picture. That is what makes it a good problem. The triangles in the first pic are already 1/4 of the total size of the large one.

The 3rd picture is actually the 4th iteration. Nice thinking puzzle. [:) Even if they don't get it, it exercises their tiny brains. :D

(1/4) 4th = 1/256 ;)

L=16
A=256

nit - the question is ratio of smallest to largest of the 4th iteration, not largest to smallest: 1/16, and 1/256 then :P

Also, if you look, the red triangle across the bottom are end to end, so just count them in a row. The answer is visible for length. That's a good one for the math kids or the observant kid.

My kid is only in the second grade and she figured out the first part. (She scores high in verbal standards, less so in math, but still quite a bit above average). She doesn't yet have the multiplication skills to multiply past the 16 X 4 yet, but they are giving her a decent start at multiplying and division. I don't remember starting that until 3rd grade when I was little.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You have to be able to stip the garbage and as noted above you can count is for length. Otherwise it's just mulitplying fractions. They just made it look hard. It just as eaily could be a singe triangle that is smaller that the previous, with out the fractal stuff.

Seems like a good excersis for extra credit in simplifing the problem to the real question.

Of course I haven't been in the sixth grade for 33 years.:S
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I like it. Pretty easy IF you are intuitive and know the basic formulas for area

That pie R square.

Mmmmm, pie

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I felt and heard a "popping" sound, then everything went black and the world started to fade into view again....

...yep, you short-circuited my brain, and there's a burning smell in the air. Oh my... :o:):P:D:ph34r:;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!