AndyMan

Would you hire me?

Honestly, I would remove the skydiving references. And put commas in the "Toronto Ontario Canada" part for Molson.

It's illegal for people to discriminate based on outside activities, but if they never call you for an interview because you have skydiving on your resume, then you'll never know that's why they didn't call.

Kelly

I would remove the skydiving references

I disagree, skydiving is an eyecatcher. People don't read resumes, they scan them. Who knows if that might be what gets you the call back? Besides, it shows you can handle stressful situations. And that you are a really neat interesting person, which in your field can't be a drawback. :ph34r:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I have to agree with Kel.. Many people view it as dangerous.. and well.. us that don't know how much of a lifestyle it is..

Both views make a candidate less likely to be longterm and consistent. :)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

And put commas in the "Toronto Ontario Canada" part for Molson.

The locations are autogenerated by Hotjobs. I can't put commas there on the online version. Hotjobs seems to do a better job with US cities and states.

It's illegal for people to discriminate based on outside activities, but if they never call you for an interview because you have skydiving on your resume, then you'll never know that's why they didn't call.

A similar statement has been there for 3 previous sucessful interviews, and in all honesty I've found it a good conversation starter, which is why its there. I've never heard any negative comments from any interviewer. In all honesty, I would rather work at a company that understands who I am, and supports me in that.

My current (former) employers at one point offered to buy me a custom canopy if I were to jump off the Sears tower. I declined because a: I don't do BASE, and b: I'm sure the logistics of getting to the Sears roofdeck would be nearly impossible these days.

Thanks for the comments...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'd put the last sentence of your "objective" as the first sentence, but other than that, it looks good!

1 - Also, an objective statement should be "looking to (contribute, add value, work projects, provide leadership, etc) ...." rather than 'seeking a position in......'

It should be about what you will do for a company, not what you are seeking from the company.

2 - In your achievements section, it is always great to quantify the achievements where possible - Completed project X, (resulting in a $500,000 savings, two weeks savings in schedule, creating a new product line worth $30,000 profit the first quarter, etc). Where possible. If you demonstrate you understand the big picture impact of your work, they'll peg you as an independent worker who knows how to prioritize and will be a candidate for big responsibility sooner than most. This one is huge.

Knowing what you brought to the company in tangible benefits is much more powerful than 'completing the project'.

3 - delete other activities, what you think is cool and an icebreaker is likely a negative to almost everybody else

nice structure though, good luck, hope that helps.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's illegal for people to discriminate based on outside activities

Its not illegal to discriminate because of outside activities, it is only illegal to discriminate because of race, gender, religion, national origin, handicap, and in some circumstances age and sexual orientation.

Discrimination for almost any other reason is legal! For example you can usually discriminate against smelly people, obnoxious people, untalented people, dangerous people, orphans, fat people, cat owners, and people under 40.

I underline usually because some lawyer out there will cite some screwed up case where a obnoxious, fat, smelly, cat owner who killed both of his parents at the age of 20 was awarded some obscene about of money because he could not get a job.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

Ok, well then I guess I'll share this little anecdote-- a person applied for a job with my company, and he was an excellent candidate. My boss asked him what he does on the weekends, and the candidate responded that he was in a band. And my boss didn't hire him SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THAT.

Now, Andy, when you say three successful interviews, do you mean interviews that got you a job, or that you got a phone call from? Because who knows . . . when it comes down to you and one other well-qualified candidate . . . I think they're gonna go with the more "stable" option.

Just a thought.

Kelly

Despite being a "conversation starter" and not having three prospective employers actually make negative comments, I would strongly suggest removing skydiving from your resume, and not mentioning in your interview. Plenty of time later to let them know how wonderful you are away from work as well. Many people would just have a nagging feeling that you might not be around to finish a project, might make the group insurance go up, or whatever.

I would also fix minor mistakes, such as the missing apostrophe in "Children's," and would not capitalize "building." Unless they are some sort of software package and not just the words, I would not capitalize "Application and Database" either, and maybe not capitalize a few other words.

I agree with Nightingale that your Objective paragraphs should be swapped.

You've done a nice job of showing actions in your work experience. "Contributed to" sounds a bit weak, but you have a lot to go with it.

Now, Andy, when you say three successful interviews, do you mean interviews that got you a job, or that you got a phone call from?

I mean my last 3 employers all knew about it before they hired me, and all thought it was really cool.

Maybe its because I'm a geek, and its specific to the high tech industry. I've always had very positive responses.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Just my two cts, I would leave the skydiving part out, a couple years ago I was also looking for a job and I also had the skydiving part in it, after talking to a friend about it he recommended to leave it out since we don't have that much of a good reputatition, anyway I got two jobs inteviews with resumes that I had not mentioned about skydive.

Two weeks ago I had an interview with 5 of my bosses one of them told me that when I first started and somebody told him I jump out planes for fun, he did not had much faith in my work but after two years working toghether he changed he's mind, exact words were " skydive is your only pitfall" I also got the highest review possible.

Peace
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I like the "Professional Aerial Photographer and Videographer", because it makes it sound like jumping out of an airplane is a classy thing B|

While being a DBA, what OSes were you working under? I'd assume Windows, but NT or 2000 or both? Any Unix/Linux experience? List all of that so an employer will know you understand the server operating system he's running.

Honestly:

Either focus your resume on your management skills and less on the technical or change your objective to a technical position.

you have one line relating to a management task, like someone said in a previous post, management positions are going to have more stuff like " saved dept 50 gazillion dollars by restructuring the project "

Really strong developer's resume on the other hand
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

A similar statement has been there for 3 previous sucessful interviews, and in all honesty I've found it a good conversation starter, which is why its there. I've never heard any negative comments from any interviewer. In all honesty, I would rather work at a company that understands who I am, and supports me in that.

My current (former) employers at one point offered to buy me a custom canopy if I were to jump off the Sears tower. I declined because a: I don't do BASE, and b: I'm sure the logistics of getting to the Sears roofdeck would be nearly impossible these days.

Thanks for the comments...

_Am

I agree. I've just been hired by a company where the very first thing I saw entering the office was the attachment to this message only it was framed and hanging on the wall in the main office lobby.

Of course I laughed and told my interviewer that I was a skydiver. He proceeded to ask me some standard whuffo questions about it but didnt seem put off.

They hired me today.
__

My mighty steed