rapaz

Racer counts as chest ? in a rigger exam

Not anymore.

An original (not copy) manual that I have dated jan 1, 1990 says on page 11 of 36" Only a currently FAA licensed rigger may assempble, inspect, pack and certify the reserve of an SST as airworthy. Riggers are required to have this manual available to them while servicing this system. The may be certificated for chest of back reserve to pack the SST. They may record th pack job in their log as either chest or back type." This manual is the one with a four way on the cover.

An May 1985 version with an sst exiting a DC3 state on page 23 "You must possess a current FAA rigger's certificate for chest or back reserve to pack the SST. You may record the pack job in your log as either chest or back type."

Both of these statements are well hidden and there are serveral places you'd expect to see them and don't.

By the 2003 manual these statements were gone. Not sure when they went away. Now considered only back.

Non-US certified rigs don't count, according to my DPRE seminar.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If you want your Masters you might try doing seat packs. We get those coming in pretty regularly to our loft from pilots. Do them a few times each one comes in and you will have your packs..

And to be fair: most pilot rigs have been packed... 3, 4 times within the past 20 years? They could stand a few pack jobs and be fine. ;)
Not again!

So if you have a pre-1990 DOM SST and the matching manual, could you still count it as chest even though the newer models are back only?

Taking that one step further. As a back-rated rigger, could you pack the SST 20 times and then apply for your chest rating since it coutns as both?

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

As a back-rated rigger, could you pack the SST 20 times and then apply for your chest rating since it coutns as both?

The FAA considers it a chest type, therefore you can pack it 20 times under supervision and it will count. You'll have to find a chest rated rigger who'll work with you on that. I don't know how that will work out.

I don't think it's a good idea and it's not very practical, in terms of what you're going to see IRL. For most actual chest packs you're going to need experience with rounds.

But I don't think the chest rating is very practical anyway - unless you're going for a Master rating. And even then, I think the seat is a better rating.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

For most actual chest packs you're going to need experience with rounds.

Hmm, I always thought that my experience was fairly representative ie. learn to pack rounds because you had to pack both a round and a square to pass the practical. Didn't realize there were some riggers earning their tickets w/ zero round experience.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I didn't have to pack a round for my test, although the DPRE could have given me one.

I know how to pack rounds because the pilot rigs at my DZ are round.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

" ... Didn't realize there were some riggers earning their tickets w/ zero round experience.

-Blind

It depends upon the DPRE's attitude.

Most DPRE's try to be practical and only test candidates on modern skydiving gear that they are likely to encounter on a typical DZ.

For example, the last time I sent a Senior Rigger candidate for testing, the DPRE told me to focus his training on modern skydiving gear and Softies. The practical packing test included stuffing a PD reserve into an Infinity.

But if the candidate lipped off the DPRE, he could tell the candidate to repack the worst, faded, frayed and filthy military-surplus antique PEP from the attic.