chrishansen

Anyone know if this can be used as reserve

I don't see a TSO on it to begin with and it has a 100 jumps on it...I wouldn't want it as my last chance. Not to mention a brand new reserve of this size would not cost $1500.

What rigger do you know that would lay a canopy of any type out on a drive way with oil and dirt? He may be a rigger but I wouldn't want my canopy laid in the drive way with oil and dirt.

That appears to be a gray carpet, rather than a driveway. It looks to me like the picture was taken on a packing mat in a hangar.

Not that I would buy a 30 yr old chute off of Ebay . . .
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

This canopy is not certified as an emergency canopy and cannot be used for a pilot emergency rig or skydiver reserve parachute. It is Illegal in the U.S.

And shouldn't be for all of the reasons give above.

See classifieds here under reserves.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I jumped a Merlin in 1983, that should give you some idea of the age and usefulness.

It was a bad parachute then and is a bad parachute now.

Do you really want 40 year old parachutes in your gear? I will spring for the nice new one, thanks

I jumped a Merlin in 1983, that should give you some idea of the age and usefulness.

It was a bad parachute then and is a bad parachute now.

Do you really want 40 year old parachutes in your gear? I will spring for the nice new one, thanks

When you say bad, what do your mean? The way it flies?, lands?, opens?
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I'm not kidding. I just asked a simple question, either answer it or don't>:(

I'm pretty sure Sparky was responding to the OP, Cap. Unless your C license # is 10602. ;) The implication is that with 35 years in the sport, even one who is not a rigger should know what is or is not acceptable and/or legal for a reserve. :)
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I'm not kidding. I just asked a simple question, either answer it or don't>:(

I'm pretty sure Sparky was responding to the OP, Cap. Unless your C license # is 10602. ;) The implication is that with 35 years in the sport, even one who is not a rigger should know what is or is not acceptable and/or legal for a reserve. :)

Your right, that was for someone else, my error.

I agree about the age thing with some exception. Like some of the new/old stock that is in brand new
condition.
The main/reserve thing is a great question. The only one I familiar with that has the TSO for both is the Raven's
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

"

I agree about the age thing with some exception. Like some of the new/old stock that is in brand new
condition. ...

"

Yes, sometimes pristine old gear can be found in closets many decades after its last jump. The gear may still be in "near new" condition, HOWEVER it is tough to convince modern skydivers to operate the old gear within its original placarded limits.

When ever I tried to tell them that no-one was loading mains more than 1/1 back when Ravens were designed, so why should you expect them to land softly when loaded at 1.6/1??????

For example, several of our younger jumpers ignored my advice and loaded Micro Raven reserves waaaaaaay over one pound per square foot.
Then one of broke more bones than I can count ...and suddenly Micro Ravens fell out of fashion.
I maintain that there is nothing wrong with old Ravens .... as long as you load them less than 1/1.

Heck! I just helped a school buy a pair of Raven 3 reserves (249 square feet) for their student gear.

Yes and no.

Yes, that Merlin is a fat, seven-cell, with huge, vented stabilizers.

No, because it's aspect ratio is slightly too high (2.2 versus the 1.9 more fashionable for accuracy competition). And it lacks the large flares or keels on the bottom skin to fine-tune air-flow near the stall.

Also the Merlin is too small for all but the lightest of accuracy competitors. Merlin was originally intended to be a small-packing, fast-flying canopy for freefall photographers.

The other peculiarity of Merlins is that they lack D lines.

In the end, Merlins were never very popular as mains and were never certified as reserves, so cannot (legally) be installed in pilot emergency parachutes.

Why does a pilot even need a TSO'd rig? If it's not something that's required to be worn to begin with then why not just wear something like a base canopy packed into a comfortable rig. Hell, if pilot bailed out on a bedsheet I doubt the FAA would go after him about it.

Hypothetically let's say you're a pilot/rigger/base jumper and you're flying loads in a 182 and you make your own rig/canopy combination. The FAA walks up for a ramp check as you're walking to the plane and asks about the rig. You say, "That's not a TSO'd rig. No comment about it being worn since I don't have to wear a rig to begin with so as far as you're concerned that's just sitting in the plane."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Why does a pilot even need a TSO'd rig? If it's not something that's required to be worn to begin with then why not just wear something like a base canopy packed into a comfortable rig. Hell, if pilot bailed out on a bedsheet I doubt the FAA would go after him about it.

Hypothetically let's say you're a pilot/rigger/base jumper and you're flying loads in a 182 and you make your own rig/canopy combination. The FAA walks up for a ramp check as you're walking to the plane and asks about the rig. You say, "That's not a TSO'd rig. No comment about it being worn since I don't have to wear a rig to begin with so as far as you're concerned that's just sitting in the plane."

Yeah good luck with that.

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe you are over simplifying the situation.

You clearly have not read the Federal Air Regulations that pertain to pilot emergency parachutes.
Remember that Technical Standard Order-C23B was originally written about pilot emergency parachutes, but skydivers have "cluttered" the concept over the years.

According to FARs, any parachute carried in the cabin of an airplane must have been recently inspected and repacked by an FAA rigger.
FAA riggers will only sign off TSOed parachutes.

Furthermore, your BASE Rig/bedsheet will probably work at the low-speed edge of the envelope, but will shred if deployed at the 180 miles per hour the pilot will be falling at after he tears the wings off his airplane.

Oh! and the primary reason most jump pilots (of single-engined airplanes) wear PEPs is that they are required by the Supplementary Type Certificate (for the jump door) because of the fear that a skydiver will deploy a canopy in the door and rip off the tail.
... like happened to a Pilatus Porter flying over Chilliwack, BC about 20 years ago.
We can also show you photos of several King Airs - with badly bent tails - after premature deployments in the door.

I'm going to quote you on this part: "Furthermore, your bed sheet will probably work at the low-speed edge of the envelope".

Oh, I've had the joy of successfully closing a KA door at the request of a screaming pilot before the CRWDOG behind me tried to exit with his canopy draped across everything from copilot seat to the door. I'm aware of the regs and reasons, just wondering if there's any rigger/pilot who would make their own since the off the shelf models seem to be both uncomfortable and unswoopworthy.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Hi Rob,

NOTE: I am not trying to put words into DJl's mouth.

What I take as to what he is saying is that since no TSO'd rig is req'd then why not just wear what you want.

The pilot could always just tell the FAA guy that it is not a parachute since it does not have any TSO markings on it.

The FAA's authority is over pilots who must wear a TSO'd parachute & over TSO'd parachutes. They have no authority over something else. They have no authority over some 'bag' that you thrown over your shoulder with some nylon in it. :P

While you and I may 'know' that it is a parachute, to the FAA a parachute is one with TSO markings. Everything else is whatever you or I might wish to call it.

Back in the late '60's - early '70's this happened with the rigs being built by the Altitude Shop. They were ( at that time ) building non-TSO'd rigs and selling them; a lot of them were on the local dzs in this area. One day a FAA guy shows up and says that they cannot build parachutes because they do not have a TSO-authorization. Jerry Myers told the FAA guy that they were not building parachutes, nothing that they built was marked as a 'parachute.'

The FAA guy just left their shop. :S

Not long after that the FAA began their crackdown on non-TSO'd gear. B|

JerryBaumchen

PS) This should generate some interesting discussion. :ph34r:

(US Law, of course. DJL asks the question from the USA, so the USA answer is given.)

FAR 91.307(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger—...

So, whether required or not, if it is available for emergency use, it must be approved.

We certainly can discuss the regulation and/or question the appropriateness if you like.

But for now, the regulation stands that any parachute available for emergency use must be an approved type.

That's why a pilot's rig must be TSO'd.

"

Hi Rob,

Not long after that the FAA began their crackdown on non-TSO'd gear. B|

JerryBaumchen

PS) This should generate some interesting discussion. :ph34r:

"

Like ... "Hi, I'm from the FAA and I am here to help. What would you like help with?"
Hah!
Hah!