KermieCorleone

Copyright issue for the Custom Dial Face ...

I had a friend of mine make up this custom design for my galaxy dial face. The design was denied by Alti-2 because "Apu" is copyrighted. I dont understand what the problem is because there is no for profit sale of the artwork. My friend has suggested that we laser print it on glossy paper and since the lens comes off we can just cut along the red or yellow line and stick it on the face making it sit flush against the backing ...

are there any opinions or other suggestions as to how I can use this design on my galaxy dial face? or some way to convince Alti-2 into doing it?
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

if the wrong person at Fox saw that then there would be lots of issues if they knew that the company sold it like that, they are making money off of a trademarked image. i would say find someone who can adjust them and have them put it on, its doable though.
IHYD

if the wrong person at Fox saw that then there would be lots of issues if they knew that the company sold it like that, they are making money off of a trademarked image. i would say find someone who can adjust them and have them put it on, its doable though.

thats the thing, Alti-2 sold me a plain dial face alti, they will be putting on the custom dial face for free, and I will be using it for personal use. no money is changing hands and nobody is making any money off a copyrighted image. but Alti-2 still wont do it :( ... BTW I didnt think anyone other than Alti-2 could work on them?
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

thats the thing, Alti-2 sold me a plain dial face alti, they will be putting on the custom dial face for free, and I will be using it for personal use. no money is changing hands and nobody is making any money off a copyrighted image. but Alti-2 still wont do it

I am not a copyright lawyer.

But two potential issues:

1. I believe that regardless of profit, the creator of a work still has the right to decide what it's used for, at least unless there is a "fair use" defense (which I don't think there is, here). Otherwise, non-profits all over the world could have Mickey Mouse promoting their cause, etc.

2. There IS a potential profit for Alti-2 -- some people might be more likely to buy an Alti-2 because Alti-2 will customize the dial face. Even though Alti-2 says that the Alti-2 price is the same, and the customization is free, really they're just making you pre-pay the customization charge, whether you're going to use it or not. So, if Alti-2 agrees to do this, they are, in a sense, making money off of Apu.

And it's just not worth the potential lawsuit from Fox.

My $0.02. Again, I am not a copyright lawyer.

thats the thing, Alti-2 sold me a plain dial face alti, they will be putting on the custom dial face for free, and I will be using it for personal use. no money is changing hands and nobody is making any money off a copyrighted image. but Alti-2 still wont do it

I am not a copyright lawyer.

But two potential issues:

1. I believe that regardless of profit, the creator of a work still has the right to decide what it's used for, at least unless there is a "fair use" defense (which I don't think there is, here). Otherwise, non-profits all over the world could have Mickey Mouse promoting their cause, etc.

2. There IS a potential profit for Alti-2 -- some people might be more likely to buy an Alti-2 because Alti-2 will customize the dial face. Even though Alti-2 says that the Alti-2 price is the same, and the customization is free, really they're just making you pre-pay the customization charge, whether you're going to use it or not. So, if Alti-2 agrees to do this, they are, in a sense, making money off of Apu.

And it's just not worth the potential lawsuit from Fox.

My $0.02. Again, I am not a copyright lawyer.

fo1led ...
- Neil

exchange of monies, goods, services are not required for a copyright claim/violation of copyright.
If you can do it on your own, fine. But just like it is illegal for a DZ to use copyrighted music, copyrighted images in their tandem videos, DZ's do it all the time, sure. Alti is simply smarter than most DZO's. Alti2 cannot manufacture nor assist in the manufacturing of a device containing a copyrighted work.
Take the face off and be real careful with that paintbrush.;)

Be VERY CAREFUL taking the face off. I once unscrewed my scratched-up Altimaster lens to replace it with a new one, slipped, and broke off the altimeter needle. I sent it to the factory for repair, and it came back looking like this (see the attached image). That was a non-repairable item, which cost me an otherwise perfectly good altimeter...

Be VERY CAREFUL taking the face off. I once unscrewed my scratched-up Altimaster lens to replace it with a new one, slipped, and broke off the altimeter needle. I sent it to the factory for repair, and it came back looking like this (see the attached image). That was a non-repairable item, which cost me an otherwise perfectly good altimeter...

I was joking, but I can see how it didn't come across that way.
Handpainting the face probably isn't a good idea.

I'd jump it like that (with a second alti somewhere) just for the reactions from other jumpers! :D
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Looks like I got my custom dial done before they started worrying about copyright infringement.

See attached.

I think its Mickey Mouse is white LMAO !!!! j/k ... this an excerpt from one of the emails she sent, I guess they dont do that anymore ...

Nope, I am sorry, we cannot print copyrighted materials on our faceplates, we could get in trouble for it.

We also won’t do any Mickey Mouses or Donald Ducks …

- Neil

I was joking, but I can see how it didn't come across that way.
Handpainting the face probably isn't a good idea.

I am considering getting it printed on glossy paper and then sticking it on the face ... good idea?
- Neil

kermie, I'm the wrong person to ask. The needle is relatively fragile (I broke one replacing a scratched face) and it seems you could do more damage than it's worth.
maybe the folks at Alti can tive you some direction even if they can't do the work for you. Maybe a watchmaker could help. Keep in mind that it's a precision instrument that you depend on for good information...

[replyI am considering getting it printed on glossy paper and then sticking it on the face ... good idea?

That could work, but you will have to watch out over time to make sure the edges of the attachment don't start curling up and interfering with the movement of the needle.

Ask permission? Might be in the "too hard to do" category but the owner of a copyright can give permission to anyone to use their work.

It's common in photography so should be the same thing here. Send in a copy of the release to Alti-2 and see if they'll do the work. Just make sure that you specify in the request letter what you'll use the image for, who's doing the work, that it's not for profit and how many copies you'll make. The worst they can do is say no and I'm sure they have gotten stranger requests.

It could open the door to a whole new line of Simpson's goods. Think Audibles with the Nelson "Ha-Ha" laugh.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Like DSE said.
Copyright does not mean 'making profit."

It means the right to copy. The only people who have the right to copy the image or work is the creator or those who have consent from the creator to make copies.

So in the legal sense you do not have the right to copy Abu's image and Alti-2 won't touch it with a ten foot pole because if they get sued you won't cover the cost of the lawyers etc...That's just the way it is.
My photos

My Videos

BTW- I wouldn't bother attempting to put the sticker on the face.

Those needles are very fragile. Is it really that important to you?
If it is, try the sticker technique but my opinion is...

This is a back up mechanical safety device. Why would you want to take the chance that one day the sticker would get in the way and cause it to give a false reading...while you are skydiving?

Put the sticker on your helmet where it belongs.:D

My photos

My Videos

You know what I always say, "Die for fashion!"

actually I am all about function rather than form but somethings are too awesome to overlook, simply on principle LOL

You have so many pieces of equipment that you can customize. I'd rather keep those things working I depend my life on.

Ask permission? Might be in the "too hard to do" category but the owner of a copyright can give permission to anyone to use their work.

It's common in photography so should be the same thing here. Send in a copy of the release to Alti-2 and see if they'll do the work. Just make sure that you specify in the request letter what you'll use the image for, who's doing the work, that it's not for profit and how many copies you'll make. The worst they can do is say no and I'm sure they have gotten stranger requests.

My wife has an alti-2 custom face with a copy writed image. I sent in a letter from the owner giving me permision and alti had no problem doing the work. Of course the copy write owner was bill booth so it was no where near the "too hard to do" catergory

Why not contact a small local FAA certified repair shop that handles altimeter /testing. A simple Altimaster is a joke to them.

You'd have to go down in person, request politely, pay cash and not expect a receipt. They don't give a hoot about copyrights. They'd probably get a kick out of it. In worst case, one of the technicians might do it on the side for fun and profit.

Worth a try! ;)