To "riggers"

Every skydiver is a gambler. When we pull the silver handle we are literally betting our lives on hitting a jackpot.

I've won that jackpot twice. I mean what are the chances of hitting two jackpots on two pulls?

They don't call em "riggers" for nothing.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Nahh, just feels like you hit a jackpot when it opens with no problems and flies right.

In fact, it feels better than anything you can get in Vegas, jackpot or otherwise.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Every skydiver is a gambler. When we pull the silver handle we are literally betting our lives on hitting a jackpot.

I've won that jackpot twice. I mean what are the chances of hitting two jackpots on two pulls?

They don't call em "riggers" for nothing.

Imagine... how the rigger feels!:D
The son of the rancher I work for, always brought his rig to me for I&R. One Saturday, he had a reserve ride. I witnessed the whole thing and he did a good job getting material into the air. After that, I could do no wrong, back at the ranch!:D

Chuck

I had my first cut-away on C-1, jump #4. After I did it once I trusted the gear to save me. I have 4 cutaways and one non-cut-away reserve ride in 740 jumps. TRUST THE GEAR! I feel like I have won the jackpot 5 times. All my riggers get their choice of beverages!
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

I don't know about the jackpot thing, but here's another bit of imagery:

Going for the reserve has reminded me of a duel in a Western movie.

You chop, flip to belly, and there you are, face to face with the earth coming at you fast. It's just the two of you, nothing else matters.

You're down to your last shot.

It's the moment of truth that imprints itself on your brain.

"Draw!" Your hand moves, there's a flash of silver, and you stop the earth dead in its tracks...

I don't know about the jackpot thing, but here's another bit of imagery:

Going for the reserve has reminded me of a duel in a Western movie.

You chop, flip to belly, and there you are, face to face with the earth coming at you fast. It's just the two of you, nothing else matters.

You're down to your last shot.

It's the moment of truth that imprints itself on your brain.

"Draw!" Your hand moves, there's a flash of silver, and you stop the earth dead in its tracks...

Waitress, oh waitress, can I have the same thing he is drinking.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I had my first cut-away on C-1, jump #4. After I did it once I trusted the gear to save me. I have 4 cutaways and one non-cut-away reserve ride in 740 jumps. TRUST THE GEAR! I feel like I have won the jackpot 5 times. All my riggers get their choice of beverages!

yikes, how did you manage that? only ~200 jumps / 1 reserve? :S

yikes, how did you manage that? only ~200 jumps / 1 reserve? :S

Actually it is worse than that! it is ~148 jumps / reserve ride (740/5).
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Just unlucky I guess. #2-- Mr. Bill gone wrong, tension knots, spinning canopy slider stuck 2/3 of the way up. #3-- steering line/toggle knotted around guide ring; probably could have landed on rear risers, but felt more comfortable with the cut-away, which worked out real well with my skyhook. #4 -- new, smaller rig, shifted during free fall and I could not reach the hackey in 3 tries-- pulled sliver passing 2500. #5 Slammer after using a different packer at a boogie damaged my canopy (blown cell and broken steering lines; spinning canopy, cut away at 3,000 -- lost the main canopy and freebag in a river.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

More than 4300 emergency parachutes packed and only one customer died while wearing my workmanship.

Mind you, he never climbed high enough to bail out. The last few seconds of his life, he was busy trying to force-land his experimental Reno race plane.

Other than that, I quit counting after more than 20 reserve rides. Most of my reserve rides were after cutting away from first-generation tandem mains that almost opened.

I don't have a clue how many skydivers I have saved because the cheapskates no longer bring me booze.
Oh!
Wait a minute!
I quit drinking booze more than 14 years ago.

Good one Airtwardo

Maybe we should give our riggers an hour with Jasmine instead of a bottle of their favorite liquor when we pull silver and have a good ride.

They should get a good ride too huh?

Mixing hookers and skydiving has caused problems in the past. Remember that Twin Beech jumpship from Yolo CA that crashed at that Nevada "ranch"?