Unstable

My Rant About Boogie Regestration Fees....

WINE?

At a boogie?

WTF...what boogie is this? (I've got to go if I'm getting free wine at a boogie

I am thinking.. the BYRON Boogie.... but have not read the rest of the thread yet... oh and there were tickets fo some other beverages too.. altho that was pretty much a haze...but a DAYUM fine Boogie .... AD.. you outta come on out....

WINE?

At a boogie?

WTF...what boogie is this? (I've got to go if I'm getting free wine at a boogie

I am thinking.. the BYRON Boogie.... but have not read the rest of the thread yet... oh and there were tickets fo some other beverages too.. altho that was pretty much a haze...but a DAYUM fine Boogie .... AD.. you outta come on out....

Yep, it was the Byron boogie. Beer, wine AND mixed drinks. I had like 30 vodka Redbulls. Oh the hangover! This year no Redbull for me...:P

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

As mentioned farther down, boogie fees don't necessarily go to a keg. They go to legitimate overhead to hold the event. However, I have been to boogies where there has been no apparent overhead or incurred costs and there is still a fee. In those cases the DZ is making a profit at the expense of jumpers.
It could be worse, though. I have been to boogies oveseas where you pay a registration fee and then a daily dz charge (for daily services like cleaning up after the party or to have respectable washrooms, etc.). I certainly hope the daily fee never catches on in North America ;-)

I used to look at the WFFC's boogie fee as great when I drank the free beer. (Quincy = Bud/Bud Lite) Now that Miller is the only product you get for free I bring my own. I used to drink way more than the boogie fee in beer. Now I just look at the fee as a price to pay to play with friends.

so Rantaul provides free Miller? Is this MGD, which isn't bad, or is it the crap like miller lite, high life, etc.?

MB 3528, RB 1182

Maybe I should clarify. There's a small profit margin that dz owners may expect. But, there is a fine line between making a modest profit and gouging. If there is a boogie fee when there has been no incurred cost(s) to recover I would tend to believe that gouging has occurred.

We should all realize that when people host a boogie they take a huge risk. What if it rains? What if ...., also, people are in business to make money, why do we think dropzones should be different. If someone was gouging, I'm sure it would be a poorly attended boogie based on proposed charges.

~Chachi

It all comes down to choices. If you don't want to pay a boogie fee, don't go to that particular event.
There are numerous costs associated with hosting a large boogie that attendees may never consider.
I don't mind paying a boogie fee, I understand the additional expense incurred to host such events.
Remember too that drop zones are businesses, and need to cover their expenses. If you think the profit margins are great...think again.

Maybe I should clarify. There's a small profit margin that dz owners may expect. But, there is a fine line between making a modest profit and gouging. If there is a boogie fee when there has been no incurred cost(s) to recover I would tend to believe that gouging has occurred.

Bull - If people are willing to pay, then demand and supply can set the price. Or aren't DZ owners allowed to have nice things too?

Apparently the risks associated with opening a small business in this country are so small that only small profit margins should be allowed.:S

Edit: I've been to DZs that add a surcharge for 'heat' or want a couple bucks for Advil. Another one that even charges for rubber bands. No problem if their customers will pay for it. But the risk is their business can always go somewhere else where that's already calculated into the price of doing business. It's up to us to set expectations, not to begrudge a 'business' making 'profit' on 'serving' their 'customers'.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Never mind that if a DZ is able to turn a profit, then they usually turn that money back to the facilities and aircraft. Everyone wins. I've never seen a DZ run with the sole intention of making someone rich...actually, I don't think it can be done.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This'll turn into a politics thread pretty quick, so let's just say that any DZ that can stay in business also should not be villified for having the opportunity to grow.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I remember one of the first boogies I went to. There was a registration fee which covered load organizing and freefly coaching... probably food and beer too. No special plane or anything like that. Registration was like $25, and I had to buy new jump tickets that day...wasn't allowed to use tickets I already had. Didn't go on any organized loads or get any freefly coaching. I was there because it was a saturday, at my home DZ (don't jump there anymore), and I wanted to jump. I can't remember if I stayed for food and beer that night, but if I did, it was a hell of an expensive meal.

Wasn't too happy about having to pay $25 just for the privilege of paying them $21 per jump or something, especially when I had a couple jump tickets sitting in my wallet already.

I have no problem paying a registration fee when the boogie actually costs the dropzone something. But sometimes boogies just aren't so special.

Dave

We should all realize that when people host a boogie they take a huge risk. What if it rains? What if ...., also, people are in business to make money, why do we think dropzones should be different. If someone was gouging, I'm sure it would be a poorly attended boogie based on proposed charges.

Or it may hurt their success on the next try. If people feel like they've been taken, it will linger. It's not always a rational thing, just something that bugs you.

But if the event is a great success, people will pay. I pay over $200 to do the Alcatraz Triathlon - that's more than double the typical cost of an olympic length triathlon, (although the race director has the added expense of a ferry ride out). Tri-Calfiornia has to make good money on the event. But...there's only 2 tris out there that do that swim, so there's no shortage of people willing to pay. Before the lottery came they sold 1400 slots in 2 hours....7 months prior to the race.

But if the event is a great success, people will pay.

Yup!! I pay the WFFC fee cause it's a fun boogie regardless of the beer. Same with the eloy holiday boogie.

One boogie that stands out in my mind as being the biggest rip off ever was the richmond boogie i went to. I never did find the free soda that was supposed to be provided, and they ran outta food at the free dinner. I was too far back in line and didn't get to eat. It's pretty much because of that i don't plan on going to a richmond boogie again. Way unimpressed with the way they ran things.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

My idea of this thread came about a year ago when I went to a Mullins Boogie. It was a pretty big event, and to boost tandems, the boogie was advertised on the local radio. Well, the Police didn't like the Radio ads boasting about all the Beer, so when we showed up, it was a no-beer boogie. The resestration fee was dropped from $30 to a measley $5. This gave me the idea that beer was more of a factor than it really was...
=========Shaun ==========

Let's face it. DZ owners make their money from students and tandems for the most part. Is a boogie an opportunity for a dz owner to make a far greater profit margin from experienced jumpers than on a weekend to weekend basis?

Is a boogie an opportunity for a dz owner to make a far greater profit margin from experienced jumpers than on a weekend to weekend basis?

Having been involved in the operation of 3 years of annual boogies I can tell you that boogie are far from profit making.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I am so glad that this subject came up. I just returned from SkyFest 04 tonight and I am pretty tired from the 7 days I spent in Houston for a 3 1/2
day event. I am not going to spend alot of time on this one tonight, but I was thinking about posting something before SF04. Only because we were concerned about the $35.00 fee we felt we had to charge. We used to include dinner until skydivers traded wrist bands for the dinner line and the Scholarship fund was charged an extra $500.00 for people that never registered and that hurt the fund quiet a bit. Someone mentioned a Skyvan ferry fee for $1500.00, well try $4700.00, then a $1700.00/hour helicopter, Balloons, Powered parachute, volunteers, staff, hotels, wrist bands, raffle tickets, buckets, posters, banners, advertisements, traveling, rental cars, organizers(especially when you have 21 of them). I can tell you that the SkyFest average cost is $9000.00 BEFORE the event. If it rains........and you don't show up because of some $40,000.00 /year weather man says it will be bad, then SkyFest will never exist again. Ok I want to share more but I have to go. I will be posting stats to everyone soon. A big thank you will be involved with a different post, even though we came up short this year we will survive for our 5th year, (2005). How about a 7 day event?????

I am not trying to be negative, but most people don't understand what is really involved. This thing has consumed my life???[:/]B|:$B|:)Thanks ALL SF05 will exist!