blkhwk91b

Sabre2: Your experience

I have put about 800 jumps on a Sabre 2 150 and currently have a Sabre 2 135 that I have over 800 jumps on now.

The bucking is not a property of the canopy it's a result of having the brake lines too short to make use of the front risers. This would happen on any canopy if the brake lines were short enough that pulling down on the front risers would cause the brake lines to pull down on the tail. I lengthened my brakes so that I wouldn't have this problem on each Sabre 2.

Ian, I have asked if others have had the same issue with their canopies, not what causes the bucking. So it's not really answered.
j.

I bought a Sabre2 120 that bucked. I lengthened the brake lines. It stopped bucking.

I'm not sure what more you're after here?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I really really don't understand why people get their undies in a twist on end cell's

Because sometimes it's not just the two actual end cells that aren't fully open. Sometimes it's the whole end cell and some of the next cell closed resulting in a less controllable canopy. I'm not concerned when you get the closures like you see on the PD videos where it's really just the nose of the end cells not quite fully inflated.

I don't watch my canopy open, feet and knees together and looking at the horizon. My theory is that at lighter loadings, the S2 is inclined to have larger end cell closures and will hunt more due to this and will subsequently be more likely to open off heading. I had really serious end cell closure on the 170 I used to own, off heading and hunting all the time. The 150 I owned was much better. The 135 was a bit better again.

Sorry for being late. I have used the front risers on my Sabre 2 only few times. But you shouldn't pull the front risers by more than 3".
OTOH a friend of mine with a Sabre 2-120 is doing beautiful carving turns at landing (see picture in attachment)
WARNING : this picture is to show how versatile is a Sabre 2. This canopy can be flown very conservatively or flown and getting a lot of performance depending on the wing loading and the level of experience of the pilot. Ask experts before attempting this kind of turn.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I'm just going to put this out there and see how it compares with other people experience. To me it seems that S2 characteristics (open, fly and landing) are less affected by out of trim.
For instance, I had a Spectre that was out of trim (8 cm difference between the outer A4 lines) and was opening in a stall and had a small build it turn. A friend of mine has a higher difference between the A5 lines on a S2-150 and it seems to work fine. Any thoughts?

And another thing that me, personally, I would be interested to know is: how sensitive is S2 to turbulence, compared with the other canopies from the same class (Safire, Safire2, Sabre1)?

Regards,
Jean-Arthur Deda.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

There seems to be an ongoing trend in the older reviews that the Sabre2 consistently suffered(s) from long snivels, end cell closures, and off-headings. Not a deal breaker really, but I think I would simply get irritated having to deal with a line twist or hard end-cell closure turns on every opening.

The problems seem to transcend experience, wing loading, packing styles, and body position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJLfhB9akJI&feature=related

Is that video yours? Have you ever thought that a canopy might open without kiting? :S

It isnt my video, just thought it a nice one to relay here.

I've stopped looking up during opening and only push all de risers outwards a bit and get way better openings than when i was trying to steer the opening. (this is on a katana btw)

But aside from that sidestep, I posted it because i find statements such as but I think I would simply get irritated having to deal with a line twist or hard end-cell closure turns on every opening.""

way too harsh for such a gentle opening canopy as the s2

But aside from that sidestep, I posted it because i find statements such as but I think I would simply get irritated having to deal with a line twist or hard end-cell closure turns on every opening.""

Well you can expect high performance opening from a high performance canopy. B|

What is the big deal of having closed end-cells? On low WL it would not make canopy turn fast, on high WL you may balance it with harness.

Just a point of interest.

I have two Katana 120s.

My last 50 jumps on one of them has been with Scott Roberts' bandless deployment bag.

The openings with that bag have been incredible.

They are much smoother with no hunting noticed.

I will be getting another one for my other Katana.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Great picture. thnx for your answer.
I presume that on lower WL the input necessary to get decent dive similar to the smaller/heavier loaded canopies needs to be much greater. 3'' pull on fronts might not be enough for 150 @ 1.25 or lower WL.
As a side note on my Cobalt 120 I can experiment and learn a lot during approach and flare time including some gentle curve landings (not so deep as on your pic though).
j.
Back to Poland... back home.

demo a Safire2... I'm pretty sure you will really like it.

I had 120 jumps on Safire, more than 350 on Sabre 2 210/190 my current one being a 150.
I liked both, I didn't found that the Safire has a significantly better opening, I like the flare and recovery arc better on the Sabre 2. I concur that the smaller sizes are better behaved than their bigger sisters (one or two very hard opening on 210/190, absolutely none on the 150)

Where I live the Sabre2 is much easier to find second hand.

Either would be a good choice, always better to try if you can...