RozeAY

Lake Wales Destroyed - Jumping again!

I believe that hangar was built by Roger Nelson and crew back in the early/mid 90s when he owned it.

I dunno. I think the hangar was there already when Roger set up the World Skydiving Center there. It looked a little older then new when I was there for the 222 attempts. I may be worng... but either way, it was a kick ass facility.
Remster

I sell a fair amount of stuff on eBay and have decided that 10% of my auction sales will go to Lake Wales to help aid in recovery. It isn't a lot, but it's all I can think to do right now. I can physically go out to to help clean up and I don't have the money in my own pocket to send to them. Hopefully I will be able to make at least some kind of donation to them through other means. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone effected by Charley and especially with our extended family at the dz.

I'll be tossing some money their direction shortly. Now, an item of concern that all DZs should take a look at is their insurance. Elsinore was underinsured for their losses (nada for staff unless they had their own insurance) and one of the articles said Lake Wales had no insurance. Not sure it's beneficial for us to keep tossing money at DZs when they don't make business plans for natural disasters. Hopefully, other DZs that have no insurance will take this as a hint to review their own.
-----
~~~Michael

You forgot Goshen in your list! :P

I'll try to contact a few of my friends in commercial lines pricing to find out how expensive it is/what the procedure is since this has become a problem this year. [:/]
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

one of the articles said Lake Wales had no insurance

I heard they did have insurance and I've heard they did not. I'm guessing they might have had insurance, but not hurricane insurance ... maybe?
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Human needs are food, clothing and shelter so contributions to that part of the effort will be heartwarming and most appreciated

For the last couple of days, from my window at work, I have been watching hundreds of trucks like electric power repair trucks, trucks loaded with portapotties, disaster cleanup vehicles, etc

Everyone, I understand the desire to send $$ to help out a dropzone, but it is a business, and like any business, should have insurance and contingency plans.

I just donated to my local Red Cross, since they are now out on the streets bringing water, food, medicines, even diapers and baby food, and finding shelter to those of my neighbors who have lost so much.

Please consider donations to disaster relief funds such as the red cross.
They even accept frequent flier miles!
https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

Marc

All means of showing support is special and you are correct, business should but often can't have all their bases covered.

The Red Cross is a great place to send help of all kinds, I support their efforts also. What I think the group working so hard to help FSC is also focused on is some truly directed benefits for the now homeless /jobless (temporarily) employees that they see as "family". We have all been told that a few of them were in an area closeby that was as devastated as the hanger was and all contents /belongings were lost as well.

If we all could, I'm sure many of us would do more but even pennies count when it's needed by PEOPLE and not just the business that employs them. Main thing is, GIVE FROM THE HEART WHAT YOUR WALLET CAN ACCOMODATE. Pick your channel to give through as it is a truly personal and special choice.

Take Care All,
Frank

In addition to the Red Cross Information that has been provided by the posting DZ.com member.

The information again is --

If you can help, there are a few ways to send your support.

1. Check or MO via USPS --
Please specify on your check or money order, the Disaster Fund you are contributing to and send your donation to:

Florida Skydiving Center
c/o Betty Kabeller-Hill
400 El Camino Drive #203
Winter Haven, FL 33884

2. Bank to Bank Wire Transfer --
If you want to use a bank wire transfer, Florida Skydiving Center already had an account set up for registrations that you can use. Just specify in the Special Instructions that it is for the Disaster Fund.

The account for bank wire transfers is:
Wachovia Bank
Routing # 063000021
Acct. # 2090002569803
Acct. name: Phoenix Air, Inc.

3. PayPal - Easy Online Service

For easy online PayPal contributions to assist the "FSC Employee Disaster Fund"

-- ESPECIALLY FOR THE NEEDS OF THE EMPLOYEES

1. Go to http://www.paypal.com
2. Select "Send Money"
3. Use [email protected] as the receipient.
4. Select "Quasai-cash" or "Other" as type.
5. Write any message or note that you'd like shared with them, all sentiments and kind words will be of great comfort in addition to your generous contributions.

If you would like a portion of your generosity to go the "Florida Skydiving Disaster Fund"
TO REBUILD
--Please include how you'd like the funds shared in the "Message" section.

If unable to contribute via PayPal, please refer to the bank transfer information and mailing address for checks/MO's as shown.

Thank You All....

Thanks for the info. I have never been to Lake Wales, but many of us here in Dallas are sending money to help our fellow skydivers out. I am going to organize a canned food drive as well. I figure what they can't use, they will give to the local Red Cross.

Thank you and yes, it is very hard to get insurance for dropzones and their content and especially in Florida. The moment you mention, skydiving equipment, for your business they immediately back off. Individuals can get insurance for personal property {equipment,etc.) but for businesses it is very hard. I have been in this business for 35 years and believe I have tried to get coverage of any kind for many years and have been declined time after time. If you know of a company please let me know.

Thank you, Betty Hill xo Owner,Florida Skydiving Center

If you know of a company please let me know.

I know Lloyds of London insures just about anything! ;)

I have contacted a few of my friends who are in Commercial Pricing. My guess is that they won't be able to answer my questions, but they should be able to direct me towards people who can. I work in property and casualty insurance, so there are lots of people here who have priced all sorts of different crazy insurance! It's easy and reasonbly cheap for individual skydivers to get their own gear insured as an add on to their homeowners or renters policy, so I'm not sure why dropzones have such a tough time with it. Hopefully, my friends on the commercial side can fill me in!

I've got my father tracking it down as well. His insurance business deals with primarily property coverage (construction firms and the such, usually), so he's seeing what he can find.

I have a feeling that if there was a coverage out there that was reasonable that provided a reasonable amount of coverage for a DZ, DZOs would be interested.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i'd imagine it the exceptions that will kill you... they know what the risks are of hurricane, fire, flood etc, but how do they put a number on knuckleheads burning in thru the roof of the hanger?? easy, jack up the price so noone will want to pay for coverage that is difficult to quantify...:S

Well, it won't help on this time, but perhaps a group of DZs could get together and form a pool to insure themselves. After all, that is all insurance really is. Except that in this case, the pool would be smaller and the middleman would be taken out. I don't know exactly how it would work, but I trust there are people in skydiving who could put such a pool together and would be glad to help out. Just my 2 cents worth. Oh yeah, still working on a food drive, but it will probably go straight to the red cross. Postage would be a killer to do one just for the Drop Zone. I will find out if we can do one for the hurricane relief.

After all, that is all insurance really is

Not quite. Insurance actually invests that premium mostly into bonds and other various places. So, that money isn't actually stagnant. Also, since there aren't many dzs, one catastrophe could wipe that out. Plus, the legal regulations with it would be tricky since every dz is in different states (duh), and each state has its own insurance regulations. Trying to start your own insurance company strictly for dzs would be a very tough thing to do.

Please consider donations to disaster relief funds such as the red cross.
They even accept frequent flier miles!
https://www.redcross.org/...te/donation-form.asp

I just heard on the radio that Progess Energy (the electric company around here) is matching any donations made to the Red Cross up to a total of $500,000. All you have to do is put "Progress Energy" on the subject line of a check made out to Red Cross.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I understand the basics of insurance as I used to sell it. Naturally the money wouldn't be stagnant, that's what money managers are for. But, it isn't impossible, as insurance companies are in business. Just difficult as there are numerous state regulations as well as federal. I didn't write down all the details because I don't know them, nor was it necessary for a general idea such as that when I do know that I don't have the skills or knowledge to actually put such a plan into action. However, I am confident that someone in our community could do such a thing. Most that are done are cooperatives. I just don't know the nuts and bolts as to how they work. Only that they exist.

However, I am confident that someone in our community could do such a thing. Most that are done are cooperatives. I just don't know the nuts and bolts as to how they work. Only that they exist.

Not only would you need money managers, but you would need attorneys who understand insurance and compliance, actuaries (ones that are better than me and get paid a whole lot more) or other extremely talented statisticians, and you would also need claims analysts (because otherwise it would be WAY too easy for a dz to take others cash.) To top that off, you would need to start with a large amount of money so that when someone has a claim almost immediately, you can pay it off. I'm officially done with arguing about how dzs pooling their money together is not going to work. This thread is about Lake Wales, so I apologize to all for hijacking it...although, dzs and insurance does seem to be a good thing to look into. I will do my best with my contacts.

Good. I am glad you are looking into it. I understand all of those people that would be involved in it. The actuarial tables alone would be a nightmare. But, it is not impossible. And there are 298 dz's listed in the U.S. on this site alone. It is do-able, but it may not be practical. But anymore details than all of this would be insane on this posting, especially as it is for Lake Wales. I am only trying to help. Thanks.

Listed on this site alone. That is not all of the dz's. But, if you are so dead set against the possibility, that would be up to you, and is your decision. It is my opinion that this is not the correct forum to post all of the details that are relevant to such an idea. There are those who believe in solutions, while others choose to see problems. Either way, I don't wish to take up anymore space on a subject that would be best taken elsewhere. I only offered the suggestion as there were already so many opinions on the subject of insurance. I didn't realize I would have to put on a suit of armor to defend every word of a general statement. I apologize for taking up this space. This is really all I have to say on the subject.