Evelyn

Hubby says I can't jump this weekend

My hubby is not a skydiver, his passion is golf, but he's been pretty supportive of my skydiving. We have a kind of agreement that I can jump once a week (due to expense and need to spend time with family), and once a month I get to jump twice a week (I visit my parents and the DZ is on the way so I jump, visit parents, then jump the next day on the way home). This has worked out well, but I recently attended a 5 day RW camp so told hubby I would only jump every other week for 10 weeks to make up for jumping 5 days in a row. He was okay with it. But the following weekend was my weekend to visit my parents so I jumped 2 days. He grumbled a little but was okay with it since that is the usual plan. But now the weekend is coming and I wanna jump and he says "no". I pointed out that we have 5 weekend events coming up in the next couple months where I won't be able to skydive, but he says "no, that wasn't the agreement" I'd be okay with it except the following week we'll be out of town which means I won't get to jump for 3 weeks. I don't think I'm being unreasonable, am I?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Hi Evelyn!

I really don't think you're being unreasonable at all. Since you're in the position of negotiating, you should being up the fact that going for 3 whole weeks without jumping could be detrimental to all the progress you've made recently. You've spent a shit load of money lately, and staying ultra current to keep hammering in those newly acquired skills is essential.

If I were you, I'd use sex as leverage to get what I want, not skydiving... ;):ph34r:
Good luck girl! Hope to see you out there this weekend... I'll be rooting for you

The joys of not having a skydiving spouse. My first wife (who also use to jump) thought I would give it all up after my son was born. Well, that is why the marriage didn't last. My present wife (who also jumps) doesn't jump anywhere near as much as she use to, but she is also very understanding of my skydiving. Hell, we worked it out so I was able to retire early and just skydive now!

So, as for your dilema, restrict his golf as much as he restricts your skydiving, don't play the sex trick, it gets real ugly then. Need to get him in the air also, that or, maybe it is time to find a new husband.
blue skies,

art

You had an agreement. He kept his side of the bargain.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Hi Evelyn!

I really don't think you're being unreasonable at all. Since you're in the position of negotiating, you should being up the fact that going for 3 whole weeks without jumping could be detrimental to all the progress you've made recently. You've spent a shit load of money lately, and staying ultra current to keep hammering in those newly acquired skills is essential.

Yeah, I pointed that out to him and he said "oh, it's like learning to ride a bike, it'll come back to you." But I do have a plan, he said we were going to spend the weekend doing stuff around the house, so instead of going to the gym every night, I'm going to come home and do stuff around the house so then I can say "I already did my stuff around the house so guess I'll go jump".

It's only one weekend and it sounds like you've had a pretty good month so far. You have a husband who wants to spend some time with you. Be grateful that you have him and for the fact that he is so supportive of you. Stay home and have some quality time together. He'll know that he comes before skydiving in your life (at least I hope he does) and maybe it will be easier down the road if a boogie or something comes up that you want to attend.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So, as for your dilema, restrict his golf as much as he restricts your skydiving, don't play the sex trick, it gets real ugly then. Need to get him in the air also, that or, maybe it is time to find a new husband.

I can't really restrict his golf because we belong to a country club where you pay monthly dues and have unlimited golf, so the more golf he plays the more he gets his monies worth. And I doubt that I will be looking for a new husband cuz we've been married 26 years. As far as getting him in the air, he is on a diet to lose 35 pounds and when he does he says he'll do a tandem (he wouldn't do one before cuz they charge extra for people over 200 lbs. and I think he was embarrassed about his weight).

It's only one weekend and it sounds like you've had a pretty good month so far. You have a husband who wants to spend some time with you. Be grateful that you have him and for the fact that he is so supportive of you. Stay home and have some quality time together. He'll know that he comes before skydiving in your life (at least I hope he does) and maybe it will be easier down the road if a boogie or something comes up that you want to attend.

That's the problem Andrea, is that it's not only one weekend, we're out of town the following weekend. And I just learned all these new skills in RW camp that I want to practice while they are still fresh. And he's not saying no to skydiving for the quality time, he just thinks I've skydived enough lately. But yes, he does come first and if I can't work it out I just won't skydive this weekend. But I really hope I can work it out and skydive. I've got some plans in mind.

Did the out of town thing just come up? I mean, you are the one who suggested that you jump every other weekend for 10 weeks. Were you not looking ahead at your schedule when you agreed to that, or did it just come up?

I've agreed to make some huge sacrifices to get things that I want, like not going to a good friend's wedding, and even though I really wanted to do both, I am the one who said that this is what I'm willing to give up, so I had to stick to it. If something came up to screw up the schedule after you agreed to it, I guess that's something else that has to be figured. My opinion is that you should keep your agreement, otherwise, what assurance does he have that you will ever stick to any agreements that you make with him, and therefore, why will he be willing to even make agreements like that in the future?

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

Did the out of town thing just come up? I mean, you are the one who suggested that you jump every other weekend for 10 weeks. Were you not looking ahead at your schedule when you agreed to that, or did it just come up?

No, I wasn't looking ahead at our schedule when I said I would jump every other weekend for 10 weeks. At the time I just wanted him to agree to me going to the RW camp, it wasn't until after that I realized we had all these weekend committments. Then once I realized I couldn't jump during those times I figured they could be part of the times I wouldn't be jumping. So yeah, that wasn't our original agreement, but the way I see it, it works out the same.

Hi EV,
Grab right, grab left, pull right, pull left!!!!!!!!!! There is only a brief moment of uncertainty between the main risers leaving and opening shock on your reserve. 'Amazing how a reserve ride gives you a fresh perspective on things.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi EV,
Grab right, grab left, pull right, pull left!!!!!!!!!! There is only a brief moment of uncertainty between the main risers leaving and opening shock on your reserve. 'Amazing how a reserve ride gives you a fresh perspective on things.

LOL. Sounds like my practice drills, but I've yet to have a reserve ride. I kind of think I'd like to go through life getting the perspective without the reserve ride.

Ahhh...marriage dispute.

*AggieDave looks at the 10-foot polls laying next to the computer and decides to not even pick one of them up to poke with*

You're a wise man Dave. Well in this instance anyway...you're not always wise but thats a whole 'nother story. :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

ooh man,. that stinks...that's why I am only gonna marry a skydiver! :D Anyways, hope everything works out. I know marriage can be tough sometimes and you have to compromise a lot, but at least you have a wonderful man to share your life with. That's all I'm gonna say...:)
Sarah

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

reply]I can't really restrict his golf because we belong to a country club where you pay monthly dues and have unlimited golf, so the more golf he plays the more he gets his monies worth.

If your "hubby" didn't restrict your jumping, exactly how often would you jump per month? And two, ya'll can afford a country club membership, but you can't afford some jumps??? And finally, you really call him "hubby"!!?B|

reply]I can't really restrict his golf because we belong to a country club where you pay monthly dues and have unlimited golf, so the more golf he plays the more he gets his monies worth.

If your "hubby" didn't restrict your jumping, exactly how often would you jump per month? And two, ya'll can afford a country club membership, but you can't afford some jumps??? And finally, you really call him "hubby"!!?B|

Hell, if he didn't restrict my jumping I would quit my job and jump everyday! Since we are paying for a country club membership that is why I have to limit my jumps. No, I don't call him hubby, but can't repeat what I do sometimes call him.

Evelyn Sweetie, your situation would have made Ann Landers scratch her head.
We can't answer this for you. But there is a helpful post or two in another thread "Not quitting skydiving."

Hope it all works out. (wispers).. Glad you're a skydiver ....and not a golfer.

Hi EV,
Picture if you will a cartoon showing a couple of golfers looking up at a plane load of jumpers and the jumpers looking down at the golfers. The thought bubble is in the middle with arrows pointing at both groups, "Look at those nuts just ruining a perfectly good day!!!!" Somewhere in my archves in an old Parachutist mag resides this cartoon. Some things just don't change. Have fun!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Evelyn Sweetie, your situation would have made Ann Landers scratch her head.

We can't answer this for you. But there is a helpful post or two in another thread "Not quitting skydiving."

Hope it all works out. (wispers).. Glad you're a skydiver ....and not a golfer.

LOL. I am so glad I am a skydiver and not a golfer. I tried for years to be a golfer and hated it. I think that is why I am so happy to be a skydiver, cuz I know how much golfing sucks.