That_KS_Girl

My Dad's mad.....I think I'm grounded

The first time I went skydiving I told my dad and he wasn't too excited about it. He asked me to never do it again. About 6 months later I couldn't help it, I started jumping again. I am now on my 19th jump and finally told him yesterday that I have been skydiving again. He said, "okay twice is enough already!"

"Umm I've jumped 19 times Dad and it's still not enough." After a long silence in which I thought my Dad might lose it, he says "if you have to do something like that try something safer like motorcycle riding" and then offered to pay for a motorcycle class so I would stop jumping. He really wants me to stop but of course I can't. He'll come around I am sure. Anyone else have problems with their parents worrying? (Funny thing is my mom is fine with it.)

Also, motorcycle riding can't be safer, right??

What is your age and do you live at home still?

Edited to add:

I see your profile says you are a grad student. Who pays for college?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

when i told my mom i wanted to jump she was all "NO" for 3 hours straight until she said "fine if you pay for it" haha yep!!! so i went jumping and have been to the DZ since.
at first she didn't want me to jump but now she's open to it and loves to come watch whenever she can. same with dad.

if you have to do something like that try something safer like motorcycle riding" and then offered to pay for a motorcycle class so I would stop jumping

Heh...I feel safer tossing a phat hook turn then I do on my motorcycle sometimes...I had 2 different cars within a minute of each other pull directly infront of me on my way home from classes today. Since I saw them coming a little before it happened, I was able to move out of the way, hit the horn and flip them off instead of having to do a full on full break stop.

I'll put money on it that your dad won't change his mind. Has he ever been jumping? Has he been to the DZ? Invite him to the DZ to meet folks and watch, that's what did it for my mom.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Also, motorcycle riding can't be safer, right??

Personally I feel that if you are riding a motorcycle in traffic, then it is more dangerous than skydiving. But some motorcyclists have been formally trained (MSF style of safety course) and have an idea as to how to protect themselves out there. And some haven't been trained and have no idea as to what counter-steering is.

Dang ... I need to take up lawn bowling or something, as I like to:

1) BASE jump
2) Ride my motorcycle
3) Skydive (Swoop)
4) Skydive (Freefly)
5) Climb mountains
6) Ride mountain bikes
7) Ski Black and Double Black Diamond runs.

You'd think I could find some safer hobbies. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

And some haven't been trained and have no idea as to what counter-steering is.

Bah, you know what this is, since you most likely do it and don't even realize it. Some folks call it push steering.

Basically if you have a bit of speed, you push the handlebar in the direction of the turn. i.e. if I'm going to turn right, I push with my right hand, leaning the bike over to the right and carving through the turn.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Heck, I'm 41 years old, and I was afraid to tell my Dad. ;)

I finally figured I had better tell him since he was wondering why he was always having trouble calling me on weekends. He didn't try to ground me, :)
I'm just glad he didn't ask for his money back on the college education he bought me. :)

My dad would love to hate that I've just started skydiving, but really can't since it was his idea (after a few years of prodding) to go do a tandem with me a couple months ago! He does hate the financial aspect of it. He has a right to voice his opinion considering I am temporarily living under his roof while looking for a volunteer position with AmeriCorps (that won't pay any money). He just can't understand how I would rather spend every cent I have on doing something like this and just get by as opposed to saving my money.

Gotta love mom though. Her response the last time he was whining was "listen, it's something he'll never forget. What the fuck do you have to remember from this point in your life?" Turns out he had the birth of his third child, but regardless, way to go mom!

I get a little relief now and then as I have a brother out in California working with the National Forrest Service that has recently decided he wants to be a forrest fire fighter. Thanks Bro for taking some of the heat (no pun intended) off of me!
Killing threads since 2004.

Well, as a parent who is still supporting my children, one with college now, there are rules they have to follow. It's not a free ride.

I have offered them the proper training for AFF, but once they are off AFF, they are on their own. Both my boys know that it takes a great deal of money to stay current and safe, so they have both said they will wait till they are able to afford it.

Sit down with dad and talk. If you have to bring someone that is more experienced with skydiving into the conversation to educate him, then do so.

Might have to start making your own car payments and paying your cell phone bill to show dad that you are an adult and are responsible for your own actions.

Good luck.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Skydiving is IMHO the safest sport there is. No other sport requires your gear to be checked by a certified Rigger ever 120 days.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/crash.htm

Per the above website:
Single vehicle motorcycle crashes account for about 45 percent of all motorcyclist fatalities. More than 38,000 motorcyclists have died in single vehicle motorcycle crashes between 1975 and 1999

There are Approx. 36,500 active skydivers in the United States. So do the math.

And If anyone is wondering I ride a Honda 954 sport bike as well as skydive

Nick D

The key to Immortality is- first living a life worth remembering”

My parents don't help me with any of my bills. So, I can spend my money as I want without having to explain to them what I'm doing.

Is there a reason you don't pay for your car and cell phone?

Cause she's lucky? My parents help me out with some bills too.

I wasn't trying to make a snide remark ( not sure if you took it that way ), I was just wondering because if he is paying for her bills ( or some ) and he doesn't want her skydiving, he can threaten to take away what he pays for unless she stops ( if he's really that concerned with it ) and there's nothing she can do about it. Now, if she paid for all her own bills, there's not a damn thing he can say to her about what she does.

My parents don't help me with any of my bills. So, I can spend my money as I want without having to explain to them what I'm doing.

My parents never used to help me. But after my ankle injury and the mounting medical bills, they've really come through for me. I'm lucky and i know it. I thank them on a regular basis for helping me out. Sometimes parents really do rock. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I guess i really dont have that problem seeing that my stepdad is a tandem master, and my mom is a tandem videographer. I guess they would have said sumthin after 180 jumps.:D

But im still payin for my own jumps. I edit tandem video to afford it.

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

So they are only helping to get you back on your feet. I as a parent would do the same thing. But after a point, I pull the plug.

I wasn't trying to make a snide remark ( not sure if you took it that way ),

Yes i did take it a snide comment. I'm sorry for jumping to that conclusion. I admit when i'm wrong, and in this case i get the big dumbass award. [:/]

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I wasn't trying to make a snide remark ( not sure if you took it that way ),

Yes i did take it a snide comment. I'm sorry for jumping to that conclusion. I admit when i'm wrong, and in this case i get the big dumbass award. [:/]

No big, just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't trying to be snotty to her about it. :)

Skydiving is IMHO the safest sport there is. No other sport requires your gear to be checked by a certified Rigger ever 120 days.

:S Here we go again....If you think skydiving is safe in any way, shape, or form...I have a bridge to sell you.B|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Dad pays for car and cell phone

Is there a reason you don't pay for your car and cell phone?

My dad just started paying for those things in high school and he has just continued to pay for it as long as I am in college. I have always had at least one job and usually two or three while going to school so I do my share. (I am a GTA now and have another job.) In a year and a half when I am done with grad school I will be on my own though even if I go to law school which I have thought about.

***I was just wondering because if he is paying for her bills ( or some ) and he doesn't want her skydiving, he can threaten to take away what he pays for unless she stops ( if he's really that concerned with it ) and there's nothing she can do about it. Now, if she paid for all her own bills, there's not a damn thing he can say to her about what she does.

My dad is cool enough that he wouldn't threaten me like that. Honestly he will come around. If I were worried about it though, yes, I would start paying for those things.

It may not have anything to do with age or dependency (well the grounded part would but I think that was a joke).
I'm very close to my dad and his opinion means a lot to me. Fortunately for me, he sees how much I love jumping and is quite supportive. That doesnt mean it doesn't make him hella nervous though.

I think that if she has shown thats shes responsible and sensible (instead of running around doing things willy nilly and her dad always having to bail her out.. (( I have a brother like that.. [:/])) ... that her dad will come around when he gets used to the idea..
If he doesn't.. she will have to decide who's feelings are more important. Personally.. if my jumping upset my parents to an extreme.. I'd quit. They've been too good to me.

"if you have to do something like that try something safer like motorcycle riding" and then offered to pay for a motorcycle class so I would stop jumping.

when i had my motorcycle my mom would always ask me not to ride it, she said she prefered me to skydive...... i always thought that was cool though....