Michele

Oops...NASA Chute failed to deploy

What would "YOU" rather be jumping, your Hotsy Totsy Eliptical 104 or a T-10????

I've never jumped a round myself. But from what I have heard they a good for this type of deployment (if it wasn't for the contaminition
issue

and for he record i am still jumping my sabre 170 with my swift reserve at 220 (reserve only used once by me)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

I gotta say, while it's funny in an ironic sort of way, the disappointment is immense from those involved. But I still giggled about it all day (and for those it upsets, I really am sorry).

Does anyone know how "hot" it was/is? Any update? I've been running all day, and haven't heard any news about it.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

The latest from my girlfriend at JPL is there wasn't enough juice in the batteries to fire the pyros that would have released the drogue.

I'm curious how she could know so soon. During the press conference, the Lockheed Martin guy said dead batteries could be a root cause, but it wasn't stated it was the root cause. By design there was no telemetry from the craft since the time it was released by the bus. As of 1pm PDT it was still in the ground. Even if the batteries are dead upon removal, it doesn't necessarily mean they were dead upon entry - it was a hell of an impact.

The inquiry will be interesting.

Bob

What would "YOU" rather be jumping, your Hotsy Totsy Eliptical 104 or a T-10????

I've never jumped a round myself. But from what I have heard they a good for this type of deployment (if it wasn't for the contaminition
issue

and for he record i am still jumping my sabre 170 with my swift reserve at 220 (reserve only used once by me)

Rounds have been used with success in the past for aerial retrieval using airplanes, but they're poorly suited for use with helicopters. First, there is a low pressure turbulent area immediately above a round one would not want to fly a helicopter into, though that could be avoided with a long line. Second, and more importantly, rounds have little forward speed and a significant descent rate. Matching this with a helicopter would put it in perfect conditions for settling with power - definitely not good. Ram air canopies have enough forward speed that SWP can be avoided and the capture can be made.

Bob

It's not gospel but I just spoke to a friend of mine that works at NASA and he said it actually has a version of the SSK Cypress installed in it.
Then he showed me the last paragraph of the SSK disclaimer letter and it states that no matter what the batteries should be replaced every two years.
Guess how long that thing has been in outer space.:$

Chauncey Harrison, NASA Engineer: "The problem was that goddam toaster Eldridge installed. Real smuckin fart! Take credit for that Sparky! Bif gave it a thumbs up and Tad agreed and I got shut out of the design. Damn thing short-circuited on re-entry! So here you are doing your "Smarty Pants Dance" celebrating final entry on national tv and [makes farting sound] oh, my! You really stunk up the great outdoors with that one sweetpea!"

You're always the starter in your own life!

Eh, it's no big deal. $260 million mistakes, sound about right for NASA. This definately isn't going to be a selling point for them at the budget meeting though... hehe...

I had a patient who helped design the mirror for the Hubble Space Telescope. He kept telling them they were grinding it incorrectly, but they wouldn't listen.

Guess who they came back to to fix the snaffu after it was already in space?!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon