jerdahl

Motorcyclist cited for going 205 mph

I agree - It's by no means a very accurate way to measure a speeder - there's all kind of variables that factor in.

A good lawyer might be able to get his goofy ass off since he apparently didn't try to out run the cops. And if I'm not mistaken, there is a certain degree of accuracy required for it to hold up in court. On the other hand, the vapor trail behind the scooter would be a pretty good indication that he was exceeding the speed limit by just a tingeB|

Then again, I'm neither a cop or a lawyer - I'm sure they'll nail him with something that will fuck up his insurance premiums for a few decades to come.:D

Keep the shiny side up,
Z

Action©Sports

what if they mug an old lady then do 205 mph which one would they drop in court. Thats why i left the uk. F!@#ing queer judges..lol nah left because jumping over here is much better and cheaper

Here in Oz with the new "Hoon Laws" they'll confiscate your bike for the speed.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've seen a VERY large handful of sportbikes exceed 200mph with ease. (Hondas, not to mention R1's, Gixxers, and the almighty 'busa..)

The Busa is the only one that has done it without modification, in a good testing environment. Planned, on a good surface, etc. That's why I question it here. 180+, sure. 200+...sounds like the cops spicing it up a bit.

And remember, just because the speedo says so doesn't mean it happened. Bike speedos read high at legal speeds.

That's not THAT fast. It's only 328kmph.

There were street legal bikes here doing over 360kmph (225mph) 20 years ago. Admittedly, 1000cc Eddie Lawson replicas bored to 1475cc with Pops Yosh heads running nitro or twin turbo and using methanol.. but they were featured in Bike SA in the early 80's. Interesting thing was the speed variance was as high as 25mph between different riders on the same bike. Speeds were measured over a 1km run in opposite directions and the times averaged. The event was monitored and measured by the traffic department.

Incidently, for metric types, 360kmph has special allure. It means a kilometer every 10 seconds.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Anyone else a bit dubious that a "honda 1000" went 205?

Not at all. Those Honda engineers are something else! Damn, I can't tell you how many times I, uh, I mean, someone I know has topped out my unmodified Honda Civic EX 4 cyl at 135mph. Yeah it takes a bit of warming up, but that's a hell of a ride in an economy car! I can't freakin' imagine what the bikes are capable of! :o

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

Street legal bikes doing 225mph 20 years ago you say? Bullshit. I doubt very highly that any of the bikes running the flying K were street legal by any stretch of the imagination.

And no matter how you look at it, 205mph on a public street is pretty damned fast.

Action©Sports

to all thouse of you guys/gals that this is cool,rember that when you die or get hurt in an acsident in the trafic...
Not that i dont find it impressive but racing dont belong on traffic roads.perriod>:(

edit to add http://www.ghostridermovie.net chek out his trailers...
and www.getawayinstockholm.com trailers aswell

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Bullshit? That's a strong word.

I think you may be confusing "Production" with "Street legal."

Street legal (Here in South Africa) requires an engine no, frame no, a headlight, a tail light, a speedometer, a working brake, licence plate and a stand, and there is a VERY loose silencer requirement.

Speed has never been a secret.

140mph had been exceeded WELL before the 1st World War, in 1911.

On the 11th of March 1929, Henry Segrave exceeded 360 kmph in his Golden Arrow with a World land speed record of 231.45 mph. (370.32 kmph)

Do you really beleive that in the following 50+ years (While the land speed record had climbed to 995kmph) that speed could not be matched? Remember that this was a competition run for street legal bikes. These were purpose built bikes made street legal to fulfill requirements. The fact that they get 40l per 100km, can get only 8km on a tank and require an engine rebuild every 300km is incidental.

Your bullshit detector is WAY too sensitive.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

yeah right i hear about motorcycles killing people all the time. those damn bikes killing those innocent cars that pull out in front of ya As a motorcycle rider. the chances of these riders doing 205 anywhere near a sizzler is probably none. It was probably on a highway some staright away. Is it a smart thing to do..Hell no is it cool going that speed on a bike. Don't know only ever hit 181 but F!@# yeah it was cool....lol

When I was in hospital, a guy was bought in after his father (driving a car) was hit by a speeding, overtaking motorbike, the rider smashed through the car's windscreen, killing the father and fracturing the guys head. The motorbike rider walked away...
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

The Busa is the only one that has done it without modification, in a good testing environment.

I thought the Busa just missed it, and the ZX-12 actually broke 200 bone stock. It might have been the other way around... I'd have to find the articles again
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

The Busa is the only one that has done it without modification, in a good testing environment.

I thought the Busa just missed it, and the ZX-12 actually broke 200 bone stock. It might have been the other way around... I'd have to find the articles again

That is accurate. The Busa topped 197, the ZX12 hit 202 in stock form.

Seen any of the aftermarket turbo kits for these bikes? Try riding something with 300+rwhp that only weighs about 450lbs.

There used to be a car here (in Austin) that could beat a stock busa in a roll from 80mph-180mph, and he put down just under 1000rwhp.

Anybody can make a bike/car top 200mph. The faster you want to go, the more it costs. The only thing stopping you is how thick your wallet is.

. . .or halt skydiving ops. Out here in Otay, there's a lot of winding roads that they like to race on. A couple times they had to be life-flighted out. It's easier to fly them out here.

Back in 1982 I had a 1980 Sportster that spent most of it's time in the shop. Freaking AMF crap. Anyways my bike was down so I was on a friends Suzuki 1100 and we went to Otay to run hard on those kickass bank turns. Leaning into a turn at 70 to 80 mph I hit a squirrel. The front end turned right and threw me nearly 100'. Totaled out the bike as one fork went through the engine. I was ambulanced to Balboa hospital as I was Navy. Major face abrassions, ripped lip, concussion, back damage and a hell of a lot of road rash. Spent a month in a wheel chair and two months rehab in the hospital. Inspite of all of that I still loved running Otay. Also due to this the Navy base began requiring that all military personnel take a rider safety course. Side note on the squirrel: he did not survive.

I got a 142mph ticket on my 91 Fatboy in 1994. This bike was anything but stock. I blew away a GS1100 at Sturgis in 1993. We hit over 160mph. I have a suicide shift on my bike and apehangers.
My 1972 Norton 750 (bored to 1000, big cam, milled crank, oversize intake valves, two Amal MK 5s, belt primary, andrew shaved race gears) on a low slung rigid will do 150mph. This bike also has apehangers and a suicide shift.

Top speed in skydiving: 198mph-pro-track

Live Fast or Die Slow
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Could've been the RC51 - a 1000cc Honda sportbike - and incredibly fast...

I guess I'll be the one to take their side... At least they were on a small highway in the middle of nowhere (or so I'm speculating...)

I've seen a VERY large handful of sportbikes exceed 200mph with ease. (Hondas, not to mention R1's, Gixxers, and the almighty 'busa..)

The RC51 is not nearly as fast as hondas cbr1000. Most likely a 1000rr or a honda blackbird.

Have to say if I saw someone doing that and then passed them on the side of the road a mile up after they had crashed....I'm not sure I am gonna stop to help em out...

Same could be said for the young punk under a fast canopy...But I am still going to try and hold him together...Like I have several times before.

Have compassion. Stupid people deserve some.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hey, how about the HRD VINCENT BLACK SHADOW 1000. Early 1970's the Black Shadow was probally the meanest bike ever built.
Anyone remember Sonny Angel? He had a shop in National City, Ca. (San Diego). He rode several Vincents at Bonneville to speeds over 200mph. He had his Black Shadow up on a pedestal in the shop.
Sonny was in his mid sixties when I first met him. He did alot of work on my Norton back in 83 when I first bought it for $100.00 as a wrecked basket case. This old timer would tell some hair raising stories about chasing speed records and 200mph slides on the salt. Old guy was fucking tough!
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

The only thing stopping you is how thick your wallet is.

And the size of your balls...

t

Rephrase to the size of their brain not the balls, if he had any sense, his balls would have been shrunk up and hiding up his own ass.

Stupid doing this on a public road. Take his bike away and his license.

No problem if someone wants to go that fast. But on a track used for the purpose of going fast - not on any public road. Someone's kid could be riding a bicycle, people could be walking.

This guy is selfish and stupid and too lazy to get training and go to a track.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants