skydiverek

I need a new job (resume attached) - can you help me?

(overseas communications work) but I'll keep my ear to the ground....

If that's the technology you're using to communicate overseas, I don't predict a long future for your company :D

Shhhhh....new tunneling microwave technology.... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have a lot of experience with resumes, and we're in the same field. Heres a few tips on yours.. take em or leave em..

1. Get rid of the "Senior Admin Asst" and leave it at Business Dev. Mgr.
2. What kind of company are you currently working for? Put the company name on there. We have no idea what youre selling or producing.
3. You have a graduate degree in MIS, but you only listed basic microsoft software applications. Surely you did some programming, SQL, Perl, Java, web development, and on different platforms like as/400.. ? Throw some of that on there. Consolidate word, excel, accces, etc in to "MS Office Applications". If you are an expert in an application, say so. If you are familiar with several different programming languages, but not proficient, just put "familiar with SQL, Javascript, C, ... " .
They dont care how fast you can type unless you are applying for clerical work. They dont really care about your GPA either, but it doenst hurt to leave it on there.
Get rid of netscape/explorer, etc. and put Internet, Intranets, and Networking. A five year old can use Netscape, thats not impressive.

Try your best to keep your resume to one page.

This resume makes it look like your education outweighs your skills. You'll have a hard time getting a job this way because you will expect to be paid for your education when your experience doesnt match up. Think back to projects you did in college and the applications and problem solving tools you used. If you were a project manager for any IT classes, add that.

Ok I may have gotten a little carried away, hope that helps some.

Actually, delete the entire computer skills section. You may as well say that you know how to use scissors. But, I'm going to sleep right now. I have some friend and family in Chi-town. I'll get back to the resume in the morning and when you're done then I'll forward it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Resumes should really only be a page long and you should stray from the bullet points. I think my resume had bullet points on it my freshman year in college. Clean up the resume, get it out and see what may come. Good luck with it
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Resumes should really only be a page long

YES! YES! YES! Can I get an Amen?!

I thought it was something that every college kid had to learn, apply, and live by. I'm amazed at how many lousy resumes there are out there (not making that comment about an resume in this thread- please don't take the wrong way just an observation).
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

A full resume package at IBM is 3 pages long including a cover letter, resume, and Bio. Then longer if you attatch references. The one that most of the managers look at for us is the bio...because it tells them what the individual has accomplished for a client. Then if the attatched references are from the client then you've got a damn good resume package.
--joe
HISPA #69
The Best Band in the WORLD!!!
The new full length album "See What You Can Find"

I tried that........However, I soon realized that there is just NO WAY I could fit all the stuff on one page and have a prospective employer even come CLOSE to understanding what skills I have. Of course.......my situation is a little differen't than most I would guess. If I tell someone my job title of Enlisted Terminal Attack Controller in the Air Force....they have 0% idea of what that is.....hence my resume is 4 pages long now I think. :S

Real good points.

Here are a few more FWIW:
Get rid of the random capitalization.
Why are you outsourced so much?
Your work dates are a bit too hard to find (not all in the same place)
You have an MS degree - get rid of all references to admin/clerical work and computer skills
I hate seeing GPAs on resumes. It tells me you don't have anything else to tell me other than you were a good student, which I don't care about all that much.
If you can't fit it on one page, you are just wasting my time and I won't even read it.

I tried that........However, I soon realized that there is just NO WAY I could fit all the stuff on one page and have a prospective employer even come CLOSE to understanding what skills I have. Of course.......my situation is a little differen't than most I would guess. If I tell someone my job title of Enlisted Terminal Attack Controller in the Air Force....they have 0% idea of what that is.....hence my resume is 4 pages long now I think. :S

Is that like the old "Combat Controllers"? Jump in, set up the radios and act as an FO?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

YES! YES! YES! Can I get an Amen?!

Elvisio "no more resumes that read like War and Peace" Rodriguez

It is not a problem to have a two page resume anymore. Most resume consultants will tell you that. BUT what you should do is make each resume custom for the job you are going for. Don't list an objective, but list Summary of Qualifications stariting with "I have ____ years of experience (total years of all jobs to show you are not a newbie). Then list profesional/functional experience. Try to stay away from using job titles that no one knows or understands (ie Help Desk Super Level III Analyst tells me nothing). Don't just list what you were responsible for, list what you did and how it helped improve the company. Make a list of the things you do the best - whatever you can't rate a 7 or higher on a scale of ten - don't bother with it....and focus on no more than five skills (usually). After you list your Professional Related experience then list Chronologially you positions - and this is not an application so you don't need to list all of them - pick what is most relevant.

Never put references on a resume - a good recruiter will call them and try to hire them.

If you are using Monster or any of those job boards - refresh your resume daily. If you don't you won't even show up on the first page of the 1000 that come up. Spend a few hours searching and find what key words the jobs in your field use and then put them in at "font size 1" or insible text at the bottom of the field...make it a comprehensive list. Why? For the most part it is the little and medium companies that are doing the majority of the hiring right now and they have to pay by keyword when they list a job...they may never see yours if you put just "clerk" instead of "office clerk"

Some additional stuff on job searching: Apply for everything online. Some companies will get a thousand resumes for a position...but I am hearing more and more that companies are getting only dozens. The two people we just hired (I was one of them) was from networking and then from one of five resumes we got from Monster. But since the market place is still slow, you would do better off by finding networking meetings and attending them, posts like this, visiting your chamber of commerce, etc.

If you went to the Job Fair at Soldier Field the other day and got in you were lucky - they had a line that was over 2 hours long to get in to see the 60 companies there and since so many people were there you were only allowed to apply with two companies.

Ok, ramble done....don't have time to read or spell check....so hope it makes sense.

Is that like the old "Combat Controllers"? Jump in, set up the radios and act as an FO?

Whaddya mean "old"? They're still around, doing they thang.

"First There"

B|

-Daughter of Retired Combat Controller

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Whaddya mean "old"? They're still around, doing they thang.

"First There"

B|

-Daughter of Retired Combat Controller

Ok, 'old' may not have been a good choice... :P

To rephrase, so Rebecca doesn't beat me about the head and shoulders with a blunt object -

Is your current AFSC different from (what was called when I was in) Combat Controllers, or was the career field renamed to that?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So what if you don't fit all of the employers requirements but you do fit most of them? Are the requirements set in stone or is there leeway, for example in the # of years of experience.

Can you make it fit? Do you have experience or training that may pair up with it. I'm sure we would have loved to seen more than 5 resumes.

Oh yea, training can fit under "Professional (functional) experience"

You have to realize that when the market is tough like it is now, the job requirements grow and they become more selective on who they are going to choose. I think I have only hired two people in my years as a recruiter that were a 100% match of all the skills demanded. Skills listed as "Must Have" are the exception to that.

Back in 1999 when the market was better I could place someone into a job if they could spell the skill!! (ok, that is a bit of an exageration, but I'm sure you get the point).

If you went to the Job Fair at Soldier Field the other day and got in you were lucky - they had a line that was over 2 hours long to get in to see the 60 companies there and since so many people were there you were only allowed to apply with two companies.

Yes, I went and it was crazy - a line of people I mean. I was there very early, so I got a chance to talk to 10-15 companies.

Thank you all for the inputs on resume :)
Blue Skies,

Bart

The markets still really good if you have the right skill set. I submitted a somewhat subpar (i tossed it together) resume on monster, had an interview the day after, and a job three days later and that was the second resume I had submitted in my search for a new job. I start next wed.

If anyone out there is from or willing to re-locate to dallas and has decent C#, ASP.NET skills, and SQL (oracle, sql server), yadda yadda (.NET web app developer basically), please send me a PM, my new employer is looking for more!

The markets still really good if you have the right skill set. I submitted a somewhat subpar (i tossed it together) resume on monster, had an interview the day after, and a job three days later and that was the second resume I had submitted in my search for a new job. I start next wed.

If anyone out there is from or willing to re-locate to dallas and has decent C#, ASP.NET skills, and SQL (oracle, sql server), yadda yadda (.NET web app developer basically), please send me a PM, my new employer is looking for more!

Dallas seems to be exploding as far as IT jobs go. Lots of Java C# software jobs. I do have expert knowledge in that stuff since I used to code in Delphi (which is what the new .NET architecture is mimicking). But... I am more interested in healthcare (HIPAA Transaction) since it pays SO much more money.

Once you get into an IT job, LEARN THE BUSINESS that you're writing your software for. It will help you stay in your current position and also put you up for raises quicker. You'll also be less likely to be laid off or be replaced with outsourced workers if you have more internal company knowledge in your brain.

My field is in insurance and healthcare, so I spent a lot of years racking myself with the complexities of medical billing (seems harder than income tax). But now its paying off. Good luck! :)