unformed

What's the biggest speeding ticket you've ever gotten?

Clocked at 104 in a 75. The cop looked at my rental agreement and the time I actually picked the car up to how far I had gotten and said I'd better damn well use cruise control the rest of the way. :D He was pretty nice about it. I mailed the check out the next day.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Tickets:

1. Passing on right, Unsafe Speed(Interior gauge lights were out), and 45 in a 30.

2. 55 in a 40 (He was looking for me, I pissed him off the day before.)

3. 54 in a 45 (Plain bullshit. He said he wasn't going to give it to me, but I kept going when he was behind me, he thought I was going to take off. I was jamming out and not paying attention, so it took awhile to notice him.)

4. 45 in a School Zone(20 mph). Yea that one sucked, $500 for lawyer, then 8 hours of community service, and random court fees.

Vehicle: Toyota Supra Turbo

Time Span: 3 Years

Top that, suckas!

I didn't get caught. ;) 1970 Camaro...sat about 3 in off the ground. 350 tricked out with every performance part off one of those advertising pages of Hot Rod. IIRC about $4500 just in parts.....not sure how much was spent on all the Machining and building of the motor. Had a 400 tranny. Not really sure how fast it would go. Only had a 150MPH speedo in it. I know I could EASILY dust a friends Trans Am that had been clocked by the GSP at 152. My best guess is 160-170+ top speed. I was young.......really stupid.......and running from cops was something like a sport for me. Thank God I never got caught....or worse killed myself or someone else. Thankfully, I spun a main bearing one day when I was 18 and leaving work. Hit a small spot of oil or something on the road and hit almost 9000 RPM by accident. Got tired of the car then and sold it. Probably the best thing that ever happened to me. :D

Only had one ticket, 70 in a 55, because I was paying attention to somebody coming up behind me FAST after I'd slowed to allow a logging truck to turn off (I was basically stopped in the middle of the road around a turn). Paid for a a lawyer and got it dropped.

However, there was a night I was driving from Raleigh, NC to Ft Bragg, NC at about 2 in the morning, had to be in formation ot 0530, and I blew a fuel line on the carb I had installed that afternoon (the clamp came off). Took me about 45 minutes to get that fixed (I had spares in the trunk). So, trying to make up lost time, I was going about 140-150 down 210 and passed a cop hiding behind a tree. I don't think he even bothered trying, but I wouldn't know, I floored it (probably hit close to 160) and then turned down a side road about a half mile further down the road, waited a few minutes for him to pass, but he never did. Maybe the roar of a 67 Mustang at 4500rpm or so wasn't enough to wake him up.....

Mike

$268 ticket for going 35MPH.

This was in a school zone, outside of MY OWN god damn high school (VBHS, Milan). I was driving this POS Fifth Avenue that had hardly any paint left on it. The cop obviously didn't care that I was some poor high school kid.

I've gotten a lot of tickets since then. One cop recently told me that "a rookie cop would arrest you for this." So I told him that I'm glad I must not be dealing with a rookie cop.

Now, whenever I get pulled over, the first thing I say is "Yeah, I know.. I was speeding. I'm an idiot, I have no excuse." One cop recently told me that I was a lucky idiot, and let me go.

Oh well. I just bought a C5 Corvette last Thursday. No tickets (yet), but I have been up to 145 on I-95 (and sweating the whole time looking for cops).

A week after I graduated Marine Corps bootcamp in San Diego California.

Driving through Nevada in my suped up 280zx... 143 in a 70.... That was after melting off a bit of my brakes... I was traveling down one of those LOOONG downhills with a small bump at the bottom... As I started to hit the uphill side of the bump doing about 155 I noticed a car on the other side of the hill and my radar detector went CRAZY!!! Lit up like a christmas tree.... The brakes really didn't do much but vibrate at that speed. Weird thing is it took him a bit to pull onto the road? Like he didn't believe it or he wanted a little chase? Who knows? I didn't slow down much, kept it floored until his lights went on behind me about 4 minutes later...

Cool thing is, he was a former Marine, upon showing him my Marine ID card along with my drivers license he only gave me a ticket for 14 over.. Said had he not called it in he would have let me go... I guess 15 over would have been wreckless driving...

He didn't mind at all that I didn't slow right down.. I think he had some fun clearing the throat of his yellow Lamborghini.... lol

Rhino

Rented a brand new Mustang 5.0 for spring break in Daytona. 1/2 hour later 135 mph in a 55. 17 miles on the car when we got it. We broke that baby in HARD. 600 miles and 3 days later we took it back. TRASHED. The rental girl came running out, looked at the car and busted out crying. Turned out it was HER car that she had ordered 6 mths. prior. LOL. I did feel bad tho but we had a BLAST
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I've only gotten one speeding ticket for 79 in a 65 on the interstate in indiania.

I have also gotten two warnings for speeding one written one for 62 in a 45. The officer was breaking the laws in ohio by sitting on the side of the road with his lights off during hours of darkness. It was a moonlit night and he scared the shit out of me when he flipped his lights on...

The second warning was the weekened before I went to officer training school... my grandfather got lost on his way home from the family cottage and found himself needing a ride at the police station in the small town of Hicksville, OH (its near Ft Wayne, IN) well my father and I were tasked to rescue him and on our way down State Route 127 (a road that is litterally straight as an arrow north-south) as my father, in the lead car w/my grandpa's toyota was about to pass a semi I observed the car that had just passed us perform a u-turn an the officer pulled both of us over (my father was clocked at 68 I was going 72 it was about 0230)...

fortunately my father explained our situation to the officer and he let us go w/a slow it down and a warning... cause that might have made my next three months a pain...

Scott

AFF level 7 pre-jump briefing: "Be Safe, have fun, don't get killed."

Speed doesn't do it for me - cornering does. Since Manitoba is flat and based on the mile road grid, I'm pretty safe here... I did average 104 mph on the way to Holister from SanFransisco in my sister's DelSol last summer though... (weeeeee:)
-Dave

One of the best cars at cornering that I've ever driven was a 1975 Porsche 914 2.0. It's not exactly what you'd call a sexy pretty car. It was just unique for its time but didn't become popular among collectors until the '90s. It was a hell of a lot of fun driving in the hills and mountains, even flat highways. I could corner at 75 mph in that 914 without crossing over any lane markings, but only 55 mph in my '93 Mustang, which started fishtailing at that point.

There's something to be said about mid-engine cars with a very low center of gravity for the best cornering... The 914 wasn't much on speed though, I topped it out at 114 mph a few times, but that thing could handle curves like no other. I currently have a rear-engine car, a MR2 Spyder, that handles real well and corners well, but I haven't tried it out on the mountains yet. I've taken it up to 120 mph a few times on the highways. It's fun and easy to drive with that sequential transmission, and maintenance is way simpler than most cars. The only drawback is there's hardly enough room in it for my gear... :D

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One of the best cars at cornering that I've ever driven was a 1975 Porsche 914 2.0. It's not exactly what you'd call a sexy pretty car. It was just unique for its time

Amen.

I'm a big Deutchesautophile and I agree (although the 914/6 is more to my taste ...well duhhhh). In the SCCA, the 914/6 is HATED by 911 owners because it can be made to go faster. [Chop the windshield off, blow out the rear glass and you essentially have a low-drag sports racer with a 911 underneath. This modification has never been allowed on the 911 fixed head coupes so they suffer weight and drag penalties].

The even cooler thing about mid-engine cars is how violently they snap when they finally do.... if you're brave enough to find the limit ;).

Mid engine cars with sticky tires remind me of a 2 way formation recently introduced to me ... the 'propellor'. Take a compressed and modify it so that youlock your elbow around your partner's knee. Then, extend your free arm and hang on for dear life. At some point, you're just along for the ride... but it's a lot of fun getting there.

Dave

PS: my worst 'off' in a racing car was piloting a GT-2 Datsun 240Z into a 90 mph double apex left hand corner - the problem was I was in the left lane pasing a nasty RX-3 on steroids, doing 'about' 130 when suddenly he disappeared from my mirrors. Yes, I missed my braking point and made it about 500 ft off-track in a Mr.Toad-ish wild ride. So pissed off was I that I re-entered the track and tried even harder. First weekend on slicks (Beer). First 4 wheels off (Beer). First race win (...and after all that yet.... Beer). Speaking of not getting a ticket... :P:Pneener neener neener

-D

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I'm a big Deutchesautophile and I agree (although the 914/6 is more to my taste ...well duhhhh). In the SCCA, the 914/6 is HATED by 911 owners because it can be made to go faster. [Chop the windshield off, blow out the rear glass and you essentially have a low-drag sports racer with a 911 underneath. This modification has never been allowed on the 911 fixed head coupes so they suffer weight and drag penalties].

The even cooler thing about mid-engine cars is how violently they snap when they finally do.... if you're brave enough to find the limit ;).

Dave

If I had the money and know-how, I could have replaced the 2.0 4 cyl. engine with a V6... there was just enough room to put one in. It would certainly fly off the handle in a stomp-the-pedal move. Heck, it was plenty fast enough for me on the roads. :)
The neat thing though about the 914 was how much protection you had in a frontal or rear impact collision with another car. I don't mean head-on collisions though.

Case in point - I was riding in my friend's 914 (its performance convinced me to go get my own later) late one night, and we were going about 60 mph on a major boulevard and approaching an intersection with flashing yellow lights for our lane and flashing red lights for the crossing road. We were just chatting when all of a sudden a car pulled out right in front of us wanting to make a left turn into the opposite direction of where we were going. My friend didn't even have time to brake, WHAM!! We slammed into the rear door on the driver's side of a 4 door sedan, spinning that car around about 270 degrees and buckling the front end of the 914 only about 6 inches in. The windshield didn't even crack! We didn't even suffer any injuries, not even whiplash! Of course, the 914 just bulled its way through the other car. The impact did shear off the bolts holding the engine or transmission in place and knocked the brakes out, so what happened then is that the engine or transmission dragged the car to a stop a block and a half away. We're like unfuckingbelievable! Luckily the driver of the other car was not hurt either, but hit him about 4 feet to the left and it would have been nasty for him. It was also his fault for not yielding to us.

Those Porsches in the 70's sure were built like a brick shithouse...

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban