SarahC07

Ever locked your keys in your car?

Well, Have you?

I did (just recently). doh! Yes, I know... I'm a *distracted* idiot. :P

But, the point of this thread....

I called my automobile insurance company today and they are going to reimburse me for what I paid to have my vehicle unlocked. That ROCKS!

And apparently, a lot of insurance companies will do the same...

Just thought I'd share.

P.S. I bet you're all wondering why I don't have a spare key. I do. Unfortunately, It's in Houston (yes, I know, it won't do me any good there :P). Next time I'm in Houston, I will be sure to grab it. :)

Ever locked your keys in your car?

Nope, must be an aggie thing.:P:D

Next time I'm in Houston, I will be sure to grab it.

How about you go to wally world today and have a copy made of the one you have, If you need time off from work, just tell Kathy i said it was ok.;):D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

How about you go to wally world today and have a copy made of the one you have, If you need time off from work, just tell Kathy i said it was ok.;):D

Unfortunately, I have one of those smart chip keys... and I would have to go to a Ford Dealership and pay $100 to have it duplicated. :)

AAA baby! Plus I get really cool maps for free from them for my road trips, and a free tow up to 100 miles, will bring me fuel if I run out, and come change my flat. I also get some kick ass discounts on hotels using the card while out on the road.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Unfortunately, I have one of those smart chip keys... and I would have to go to a Ford Dealership and pay $100 to have it duplicated.

Ahh, i didn't think of that.:D Oh well, take a day off anyway and tell her i said it was ok.:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

At least you didn't do this: :)

I recenty saw a distraught blond was weeping beside her car.

"Do you need some help?" I asked.

She replied, "I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote door unlocker. Now I can't get into my car. Do you think they (pointing to a distant convenient store) would have a battery to fit this?"

"Hmmm, I dunno. Do you have an alarm too?" I asked.

"No, just this remote thingy," she answered, handing it and the car keys to me.

As I took the key and manually unlocked the door, I replied,

"Why don't you drive over there and check about the batteries it's a long walk."

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

first time locked key in self service car wash on a saturday. People behinf us weren't very happy.

2nd time locked key in car at airport parking garage in seatlle. Reimbursed for locksmith:)

Running out of gas is worse, outside of a prison, no cell phone. Long walk hot day. Wife said cops did stop bye but i already went for more go go juice. good news it was a womens prison.

R.I.P.

Unfortunately, I have one of those smart chip keys... and I would have to go to a Ford Dealership and pay $100 to have it duplicated. :)

BZZZZZ!

"Johnny, do we have a nice consolation prize for the young lady?"

"Why yes, Bob, we do! Rev, tell the lady what she's won!"

Well, Sarah, you have won the enlightenment that that chip is not needed to unlock your door! Wow! Cool! Since you need that spare key to unlock your door in the event that you exhibited a blonde moment and slammed that door before removing the expensive keys, all you need to do is insert it in the door slot, turn, open the door, and grab that 'chipped key' that is waiting for you in the ignition!

How would a person like me know this? Well, I'm blonde (hence the blonde moment comment), and now carry a spare 'door key' in my wallet, juuuust in case.
;):)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

owned the car for a week and still had all the spare keys in the glove box, walked away with the doors locked for some reason with the engine running and of course the wind was blowing...you know what happend from there. Anyways took about 2 hours to get the car opened and about 1 hour of lost wages.

Sucks:S

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

I've done it a few times. Once i thought i put the keys in my coat pocket, but i guess they fell out and ended up on the car floor. Then i left them in the ignition at a self car wash. Most recently i left them in the car while i was at work. Got a ride home and had to break into my apartment to get the spare.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

AAA has been a life saver for me over the years. I used to drive junk cars.

Once my car broke down and they gave me up to 100 miles in towing. Even though home was closer, I had them tow me to the dropzone so I could jump. It was a beutiful day and I wasn't gonna waste the day working on my car.

Yes,

And in the worst place imaginable. I was hours away from anything out in the middle of the desert in Utah. I dont know what I was doing locking my car out in the middle of nowhere, but I managed to lock my keys in. My truck is near impossible to break into as well. Besides, where are you going to find a coat hanger in the middle of the desert? Luckilly my truck, being fairly new at the time was covered under Ford's roadside assistance and I managed to find a place with a cell phone signal and call for help. Help arrived the following morning, which wasnt a big deal since I was camping there that night and all of my sleeping bag and stuff was in the bed of the truck.

If it happened now (no AAA or roadside assistance) I would just break a window...I'm sure that would be cheaper than calling a tow truck from 2 hours away.

I don't know if this works for other cars, but it works for mine. I have the kind of sensor on my key ring that makes the doors lock when you walk away and unlocks the door when you walk towards the car. It is possible to lock the keys in the car though. The doors automatically lock within a certain amount of time after you turn off the engine. But if you do lock the keys in the car you just crawl on the hood of the car and bounce up and down until the door unlocks. No kidding. I've done it, and I learned it from reading the owner's manual that came with my car. Anyway, as I said I don't know if it will work on other cars, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Several times, luckily, my expierences as a kid helped me, and I can get into most cars now. (what? we did motor vehicle maint at school!!)

However I have locked myself out of my flat (apartment) twice this week alone.

Lee
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Yes -- and i had to join AAA so that they could unlock it as part of their service plan. It was cheaper and a better deal to become a member than pay someone to open it.

But my biggest blonde moment had to be when I left my keys in the ignition, car unlocked, and running for two hours while running errands in the mall. I came back and luckily the car was still there but I was out of gas!:$:( (and this was in NJ!!!)

Yes -- and i had to join AAA so that they could unlock it as part of their service plan. It was cheaper and a better deal to become a member than pay someone to open it.

But my biggest blonde moment had to be when I left my keys in the ignition, car unlocked, and running for two hours while running errands in the mall. I came back and luckily the car was still there but I was out of gas!:$:( (and this was in NJ!!!)

Crooks must have figured it was one of those "bait cars".
It's your life, live it!

Better one...

Driving a car hauler, loaded a carin the belly of the trailer, squeezed out to check tire alignment and the door clicked shut, with the car running. Wentto the cab of my semi to call dispatch only to find that I had locked the truck too, also running. Luckily it was an older freightliner semi, so I was able to remove the passenger side little foot level window (tookover an hour) and reach inside with an antennae I had removed from a car I was hauling hitting the center dash mounted passenger door power window switch. I then used that same antennae to get into the running car on the trailer (an older Jaguar XKE Convertible).
Was an interesting evening (I did most of my work then between 9 pm and 6 am).
It's your life, live it!

Geez folks, take your spare key and hide it under the bumper somewhere, affixed with a wire tie or something so it won't jar loose. Oh, and wrap it in saran wrap or something to keep it clean. That technique has saved my ass several times. That way you just get a little dirty crawling under the bumper, but you don't have to wait for a locksmith to arrive, nor pay a ridiculous sum of money.

I suppose now I'll have legions of skydivers crawling under my car at the DZ to find my key so they can steal the car...