SarahC07

Ever locked your keys in your car?

no cuz i don't drive BUT i've locked friends keys in their cars. Usually i was able to jimmy open the door but i remember one time we were out on this road and the only way to get back in was .....smashy smashy.

Needless to say i ended up paying for the window (since i offered to because my dumb ass locked keys in the car)

yes I drive a car, several cars, motorbikes, but I don't let the engine run if if doesn't need to... Only on the Porsche to let the engine cool down a minute or two before shutting it down...

In my country people even shut the engine at red lights. It is generally more economical/ecological to shut down the engine if you stop for more than 20 seconds...

Don't worry it only means that it may happen to you

Nope, my cars (or the cars I drive) don't lock their doors automatically if the key is in the ignition :):) European technology...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

yes I drive a car, several cars, motorbikes, but I don't let the engine run if if doesn't need to... Only on the Porsche to let the engine cool down a minute or two before shutting it down...

In my country people even shut the engine at red lights. It is generally more economical/ecological to shut down the engine if you stop for more than 20 seconds...

:)
Scared the hell out of me.

R.I.P.

I used to do it quite often in one of my older cars (Volvo 240) , it had central locking so you could push down the nipple to lock the door then step outside and slam the door shut whilst thinking "were the fuck are the keys"

I done it probably 7-8 times, but the key for the trunk was different to the ignition so I kept it on a different key ring from the ignition & door key and I kept a length of packing tape in the trunk which I could use to break into the car (very easily) .

My present car has a door lock and open button on the key fob. I haven' t managed to lock the keys in this car yet.

But anything is possible
:$
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

Yes, a couple of times (cell phone conversations distracted me...:S) I think both times I actually left the engine running... :o

I can be a little absent minded (the 1st one was a rental car...)

if it happens once the cost of the locksmith more then makes membership to something like AAA worth it.

Scott

:)
Scared the hell out of me.

In Peru it certainly does... :P They might not have alternators (or whatever you call it in english... that device wich charges the battery)

I asked about the alternator. their theory is the flow of electricity from the battery to the lights and the alternator to the battery or the alternaor will add un need wear and tear on the battery and they probably think the light bulbs and alternator.

Peru: Be careful walking at night the cars can't see you. If traveling after dark required, take a taxi, wear seat belt, close eye's and hope for the best.

BTW windshield wipers are hard to find. Most people lock them in the trunk of the car until they need to use them.

This stuff was a long time ago anyone from peru here?

R.I.P.

Volvo 240

Ha...I've only locked myself out once, in the middle of the Catskills during a few days of camping/hiking. Spent a few days hiking and ended up further from the car then intended. Buddy stayed w/ the gear and I went for the car. Found him, we loaded the gear, I close the trunk and ask him for the keys. Of course he doesn't have them.

We have no idea if they are lost or in the trunk. Volvo 240s have a ski hole behind the armrest in the backseat that goes into the trunk (thankfully the doors were unlocked, but the 240 didn't have a trunk release). After about 45 minutes of looking everywhere in the area we pulled out everything we could out of the ski hole to no avail. Then we pulled out the entire backseat and had to cut through the fiberboard backing to the trunk to continue pulling everything out of the trunk.

My keys were literally the very last item to come out of the trunk.

I miss that car. It had 350,000 miles on it when I moved to NYC and sold it and still ran like a champ.
Killing threads since 2004.

I'm really confused how people do this these days...

Done this myself, but you're right - it took a lot of effort and stupidity!

One of my automatic door locks (on the rear door) was frozen on a really cold morning. Every time I unlocked the driver's door, because the locking system couldn't open all the doors it went right around the cycle and locked them all again. Eventually I managed to yank open the driver's door mid-cycle and start the engine to get the car warmed - then I set to work clearing the outside of the windows, shutting the driver's door behind me since the non-stop noise from the locking servos was driving me crazy. As soon as I did that, of course, all the doors locked again and stayed that way.

By the time someone arrived to get me back into my car, it was pretty well warmed up, though :)