moodyskydiver

this SUCKS! fear in my own home(long)

There are motion-sensitive "screamer" alarms that you can hang on a doorknob to alert you to someone attempting entry. I suggest you get one NOW. You need to be able to be alerted to someone entering your place if you should happen to be asleep. There are also stand-alone motion detectors you can get. I would put one of these right outside your bedroom door so that if someone breaks in through a window (or anywhere other than the front door) you will be alerted as they approach your room.

I know I don't need to tell you to take this very seriously. I am VERY glad you are one who owns a gun for her protection and doesn't take the mamsy-pamsy "I could never use a gun against somebody" approach. You don't owe a damned thing to anybody who would break into the sanctity of your home. Please make sure that you are adequately able to use the gun, and that it is not just symbolic. When you are home, keep IT and a CELLULAR PHONE with you at all times. Find a clever place to conceal the gun where it will be easily accessible to you but not a common-sense hiding place for someone searching for valuables.

Speak with some personal defense instructors/experts. Voice your concerns. Get knowledge. Be safe. I wish you well.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Dave makes a good point and that's definitely something to think about but, while you're considering that, consider this: If you're not prepared (and that includes being properly trained in the safe and effective use of a handgun) to kill someone in defense of your life or home, do not have a gun in the house. If you crap out during that one critical moment, you're very likely to end up a victim of your own weapon.

One reason I feel that this danger is being overstated is the fact that many perps will flee at the presentation of a gun. Some won't, but many will.

I wonder what statistics would show, if there were any, about the number of people who present a gun in defense, don't fire it, and end up hurt or killed with it by their attacker.

My guess would be "not that many, and certainly fewer than many people think."

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

God, that's what I miss about Texas!!! A cop actually told me once that if someone breaks into your home and you have to defend yourself, "Drop the fucker where he stands, give us a call and we'll come pickup the body". Most other places you have to be very carefull. You'll be asked questions like "was your life really in danger?" and "was he trying to flee?". You have to almost prove your actions.

I wish I had a copy of the article I read at a shooting range about what to do LEGALLY after you shoot in self defense.

Most of what I remember was, IF YOU SPEAK IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE SHOOTING TO THE POLICE, YOU WILL HANG YOURSELF.

The article said to politely tell the police that you will cooperate fully with them, but you need to consult with a lawyer and feel it's best if you say nothing at this time. They will ask you how many times you fired, and you may misremember due to the trauma of the situation, and then later that will undermine your credibility in a court setting, etc. They will press you for "what happened?" and if, due to the stress, you state for a report things that end up inconsistent with the evidence that is collected, you could end up looking like you were in the wrong even when you were in the right. So CLAM UP if you shoot someone, and tell them your story once you've had a lawyer hired.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

I agree with PJ about the door alarm. There are several different kinds available, and they don't cost a bundle. They usually take a couple of screws to install but boy are they loud! It should be sufficient to scare the intruder away, but keep that gun handy!

Stay alert and good luck!

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Dave makes a good point and that's definitely something to think about but, while you're considering that, consider this: If you're not prepared (and that includes being properly trained in the safe and effective use of a handgun) to kill someone in defense of your life or home, do not have a gun in the house. If you crap out during that one critical moment, you're very likely to end up a victim of your own weapon.

One reason I feel that this danger is being overstated is the fact that many perps will flee at the presentation of a gun. Some won't, but many will.

I wonder what statistics would show, if there were any, about the number of people who present a gun in defense, don't fire it, and end up hurt or killed with it by their attacker.

My guess would be "not that many, and certainly fewer than many people think."

-Jeffrey

Sorry, Jeffrey, but that's just stupid. There is one very simple rule that ALWAYS applies when it comes to pulling a gun; If you pull it, you better be prepared to use it. And that includes killing someone with it. Do you honestly think that purchasing a hand gun adequately prepares you to use it, or possibly even kill someone with it, in a self-defense situation? NFW.

And as far as statistics go: Guns kept in the home for self protection are 22 times more likely to be used to kill someone you know than they are to kill in self-defense (New England Journal of Medicine 1997)

I'm not saying that you shouldn't own a gun, Jeffrey. What I'm saying is that if you decide to take that route, get trained and get informed. Simply owning a gun does nothing to guarantee your protection, as a matter of fact, just owning a gun actually increases your chances of death by foul play. If perps can kill cops with their own guns like this Clicky, you can be damned sure they can take it way from the untrained with much less effort.

You are sadly mistaken if you think that the simple act of pulling a gun is going to save your ass in a critical situation.

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

HEY!

Do NOT I repeat, do NOT turn this into a god damned SC thread. This is a serious matter and does not need to be ruined by a damned arguement.

Agreed. I'm by no means trying to start an argument or get this thread moved to SC. Moody obviously feels scared by what happened and I just wanted to point out that keeping a gun in the house is a serious decision that should be thoroughly thought through.

There are a number of other ways to secure you home. Many have already been brought up such as dead bolts, alarms, motion detectors, cell phones, etc...

I may have missed it but, has anyone suggested a dog yet? Dogs are not only great companions but they offer some very good protection and are also an excellent deterrent. I think you'll find that most criminals will pass up a residence with dogs for one without. They're not called "Man's best friend" for nothin'.

Public apology if the gun thing went off track. That was not my intention.

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

Dot not debate guns in the forum, please. This is an important thread with a lot of good information in it. I don't want to have to move it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Something very obvious just occurred to me--Apartments in Texas are required to have deadbolts that can't be unlocked from the outside. If you weren't already in the practice of doing so, be sure you lock that deadbolt anytime you're home alone. It makes it impossible for someone to pick the lock or steal a key and slip in unnoticed.

--Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Ok first off, thanks to everyone for their advice and good intentions as well as all the PMs that have been steadily building up that I havent gotten around to replying to yet (I'll be getting in touch w/ you Dave.I can use all the training I can get.)

There are alot of good suggestions here that I already had in place before this incident. There is a framebar on the front door similar to Nightingale's fliplock that I use every night before I go to sleep.I also lock the bedroom door since this is a small apartment, might as well put as much between me and an assailant as possible...more barriers equal more time for me.

I keep my cellphone next to my bed every night, with the power on, fully charged or charging in case of emergencies.

I have an alarm that is loud enough to make a dog sterile that you wedge under the door.When the door is opened it not only acts as a door-stop but a very loud noise maker.I've just had problems getting traction with this to work on the tile by the front door to make it go off correctly.So its still in the works.

I have 2 cans of "Thunderbolt 2" pepper spray.For those who dont know what that is, it uses OC, OS and a UV dye for identification if the jackass is caught.I keep one on a detachable keyring for my keys/purse and one by my bed.

I also have an electric "stun baton" similar to a tazer.Ofcourse to me it just looks like a mini cattle prod.I was confident in the pepper spray and this device except they require relatively close contact to an intruder which I'd rather not do especially if they have a knife or gun or longer arms than I have.

I've been trying to adopt a dog but the rescue groups here are more rude than the IRS and it complicates things when my complex not only has specific breed restriction but also has a restriction that limits all breeds bigger than 35lbs. As of right now I'm hoping to have a puppy by Christmas.Ofcourse a puppy isnt a watchdog but its a good noise maker until it can be trained.

Ok now for the gun debate.I have a Springfield XD .40 S&W 4in. service model for those who care to know the details.This gun is new and I do realize I need further training with it because its bigger and I havent put many rounds through it as of yet.I've been in contact with a certified trainer for personal defense, law enforcement and concealed handgun certification.I dont have the time or money for the CHL just yet but thats a long term goal.For now its all up to my dad and my friends.

Am I over doing it? yes. But I'd rather be zealous than afraid.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

>Am I over doing it? yes. But I'd rather be zealous than afraid.

Might want to hire a security guard also ;)

You might want to take the time and enroll in a personal defense course or three in addition to the gun course. I know a few people that even hunting were not able to pull the trigger when they could punch holes in the paper all day long. Killing even an animal is'nt the easist thing in the world, a human is even harder if you are not 100% committed to doing it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Something very obvious just occurred to me--Apartments in Texas are required to have deadbolts that can't be unlocked from the outside. If you weren't already in the practice of doing so, be sure you lock that deadbolt anytime you're home alone. It makes it impossible for someone to pick the lock or steal a key and slip in unnoticed

What statute says they are required to have deadbolts that are unable to be unlocked from the outside?If you could find that information I'd greatly appreciate it.My apartment has one lock and thats it.It is a deadbolt but being as thats the only lock it obviously has to be outside accessible.

I know other people have expressed that I should add other locks etc but due to a clause in my lease stating that the apartment authorities are authorized to enter my apartment at any time and therefore have a key I am not allowed to change the locks or add locks b/c thats would violate the lease by barring them from the premises.

Sounds like you've taken all the right precautions.

Just remember if you decide to take Dave up on his offer that as part of the training you should get a chance to see what happens to a real person when they get sprayed with OC or whacked with a cattle prod......and then ask him very politely to volunteer.;)

Peace,
Z

Edit: Check your lease about the dead-bolt thing. I'm pretty certain that Douva's right about that.

Here's a copy of a standard Texas apartment lease contract. Clicky Look under section 9. Security Devices It states that Texas Law requires, with some exceptions, that we must provide at no cost to you when occupancy begins: (skipping to the relevant part) (5) A keyless bolting device (deadbolt) on each exterior door; and (6)either a keyed doorknob rekeyed after the prior resident moves out.....

This according to Section 92.165 of the Code.

From what I understand, you have the right to request that a deadbolt be installed at no charge to you.

Good luck,
Z

Action©Sports

Something very obvious just occurred to me--Apartments in Texas are required to have deadbolts that can't be unlocked from the outside. If you weren't already in the practice of doing so, be sure you lock that deadbolt anytime you're home alone. It makes it impossible for someone to pick the lock or steal a key and slip in unnoticed

What statute says they are required to have deadbolts that are unable to be unlocked from the outside?If you could find that information I'd greatly appreciate it.My apartment has one lock and thats it.It is a deadbolt but being as thats the only lock it obviously has to be outside accessible.

I know other people have expressed that I should add other locks etc but due to a clause in my lease stating that the apartment authorities are authorized to enter my apartment at any time and therefore have a key I am not allowed to change the locks or add locks b/c thats would violate the lease by barring them from the premises.

I've never actually seen the statute, but I've had a couple of apartment managers mention it to me when they were showing me around a complex. I'll look into it and get back to you with what I find.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

[reply

If it is a "normal" deadbolt with the twist knob on the inside, and if you have a window near the door, ask the landlord to change it to a 'double cylinder' lock. You'd have to use a key to get out as well as in, but it would slow up the goblin...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If it is a "normal" deadbolt with the twist knob on the inside, and if you have a window near the door, ask the landlord to change it to a 'double cylinder' lock. You'd have to use a key to get out as well as in, but it would slow up the goblin...

It is a normal deadbolt but there are no windows anywhere near my door.Actually there are no windows on the same wall as that door to be exact.All the windows in the bedroom and living room are on walls that would need a big freaking ladder or pretty good climbing abilities to get to let along break into it. I'm still thinking I'll pay the ridiculous fees to have the complex change my lock atleast. This place is cheap (remember college student/college town) so I know they wouldnt go for the double cylinder locks as I'm assuming they'd be more expensive.

Ya know, poeple used to ask me if it was creepy living here in Huntsville b/c the college is literally surrounded by 7 prison units. The unit where the state carries out capital punishment is less than 2 blocks down from the college CJ building where I have class and you can here the shift change alarm at the unit anywhere on the central part of campus.To me it wasnt creepy.It was a reminder of why I'm pulling all nighters and sitting through that mind-numbing class where I stay awake counting ceiling tiles.I want a Criminal Justice degree because I see the need for it all around me.I'm not worried about the inmates.I'm now more worried about the creeps outside those walls than inside them.[:/]

Something else you might consider (and glad there's no windows on that wall - makes it a lot easier) is see if they would be willing to change out the locks if you buy them, and give them a key.

If so, go buy a Medeco doorset and deadbolt. They're a bit expensive, but worth every penny!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Am I over doing it? yes. But I'd rather be zealous than afraid.

Might want to hire a security guard also ;)

You might want to take the time and enroll in a personal defense course or three in addition to the gun course. I know a few people that even hunting were not able to pull the trigger when they could punch holes in the paper all day long. Killing even an animal is'nt the easist thing in the world, a human is even harder if you are not 100% committed to doing it.

I'm not with you, there.
Just how hard do you think it would be for a woman to do harm to a guy who is clearly out to either rob, rape or kill her?

I think you are witholding credit that most women deserve. Put most women in the presence of a rapist and I think they'll do what they need to do.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

I'm not with you, there.
Just how hard do you think it would be for a woman to do harm to a guy who is clearly out to either rob, rape or kill her?

I think you are witholding credit that most women deserve. Put most women in the presence of a rapist and I think they'll do what they need to do.

I was just having this same discussion with my mom over dinner. I'm no fan of sport hunting and I cant stand to see animals injured b/c I've just always been a soft hearted person in that respect.But if some asshole is seriously trying to do harm to me or someone close to me you better believe that I will want to put a world of hurt on them in every way I can.I would feel much better about shooting a human intent on doing me harm to defend myself and my home than killing a defenseless animal.

Before I bought my gun, my mom gave me the pepper spray and joked saying that she felt sorry for anyone coming into my house b/c I'd probably hose them down, cuss them out, call the cops and then reach for the other can of spray to hose the sucker down again just to be a bitch.>:(

Ok, on a side note, for all you guys who have been PMing me and insisting that I high tail it to AggieDave and take him up on his offer of weapons training...I am! I am! LOL! I'd planned on accepting his offer as soon as I read that he'd offered it.I'm trying to figure out a good time to work with him ASAP (Thanks Dave you're a saint).Thanks for all of your concern, I really appreciate it and all of the PMs and everyone from this thread have really helped put this incident in perspective.

Get a shotgun. Its far more effective for home protection. Glad it wasn't worse.

I agree with the shotgun comments. Much more effective and on top of that there is no sound in the world like a pump action shotgun being cocked. If you hear that sound in a dark apartment and aren't holding the gun, you know your night just got really bad.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

Crime in some form, will touch all of us at one time or another. However, the chances something violent will occur is not as probable as it seems in this "we hear about everything scary" media age.

I'll guess it's a doper looking for your TV in order to score another baggie, or whatever the modern equivalent of that is . . .

Or, if you just moved in, they may have thought the apartment still unoccupied and are just looking for a place to crash.

Of course you need to be a "bit" careful, but move through life like you own it (you do after all) and chances are nothing bad will happen to you.

And get a dog. With the other option, and a little paranoia, the chances of a dead cable guy in your hallway goes way up . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

I don't know much about guns but I would guess that proper training is crucial.

A coworker of mine told me about her cousin who wound up shooting & killing his own wife. Someone broke into his house at night & he & his wife got up & he got his gun. At some point he lost track of where his wife was...he saw a silhouette & just fired...and killed his wife.:(....
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

moody,

for a nominal monthly fee i'll camp out on your couch with my ak-47, .380 acp and .25 cal........ i would require free room and board though and must have full premium cable t.v.!!!!!! and some meth to keep me up at night when the bad guys come back... pluss with the added energy of the meth i could unload the whole 40 rounds from the ak in about 2 seconds...... so what do ya say..... i would require weekends off though to skydive.... but if you go to you would be well protected from all the other skydivers with guns atthe dz!!

Make sure you always lock your door, even if you only leave for a minute.
A coworker of mine had her purse stolen when her mother took out the trash. Someone was watching the apartment and saw her leave and checked the door. My coworker came down the hall to find someone standing in her living room. He made an excuse about being in the wrong apartment and left. But it could have been much worse.

Make sure you always lock your door, even if you only leave for a minute.
A coworker of mine had her purse stolen when her mother took out the trash. Someone was watching the apartment and saw her leave and checked the door. My coworker came down the hall to find someone standing in her living room. He made an excuse about being in the wrong apartment and left. But it could have been much worse.

The snatch and run thieves are a inconvenience. We used to have them at work enough that the women were warned not to keep their purses in their file drawer.

The wrong apt excuse:)
Talk with the neighbors in the apt complex cruise the apt corriders and look for evidence of previous breakins (broken door jams) scredriver/crow bar marks/ multiple locks on the doors.

College towns have their good pt's and bad ones. I hate bad people.

R.I.P.