Conundrum

My new car!

So, 2 weeks ago on the 4th, some guy ran a red light, totaling my car and screwing up my neck. I've been driving a rental around since the accident and I've been having to see a Dr. I havent been able to jump either. Obviously I needed a new car, so last night I decided to head over to Acura and see what they had. I went in, told them exactly what I wanted, they presented me with acceptable numbers and had me out of there with my brand new car in an hour and a half.

2005 Acura RSX-S

- Aluminum Alloy 16-Valve, DOHC, i-VTECTM Inline 4-cylinder
- 210 bhp @ 7800 rpm
- 143 lbs-ft @ 7000 rpm
- Reline @ 8100 RPM
- Compression Ratio - 11.0:1
- Close-ratio 6-Speed Manual Transmission
- 17" x 7" aluminum alloy wheels

Magnesium Metallic Paint w/ Titanium leather interior

I LOVE IT! :D:D:D

Very sweet ride. Hondas rock! Have you ever owned one before? Be prepared to fall in love and stay there. Hope you like driving fast and revving engines, because the car you have lives for it. B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hondas rock! Have you ever owned one before?

Yes, I have been into imports for years now. Owned a CRX that was stolen so I bought my Celica. Celica was totaled so now I have the RSX. I've wanted a Type S since they came out. B|

sweet ride! have you always preferred manual to automatic?

hurry up and come skydiving again.... not that i'll be out there anytime soon...

hope your neck's okay chelle! you're very lucky

lindsay

I've been driving manual since I was 16 and won't drive anything else. Automatics are poo. ;) I'm still getting used to the 6th gear on this car, though. Weird.
And yeah I'll be jumping again really soon, I miss Perris so much!

Thanks for the compliments guy and gals! Im so excited!

Nice car ;)

I work for the company that makes the clutches for those cars, Honda's and Honda ATV's.

I have been to several training classes that Honda has offered and you wouldn't believe the things Honda will reject.

If a bumper were to come in, have a scratch on the inside (not visable to the customer) it will not be used.

They don't mess around on any part of there vehicles ;)

Enjoy
http://sexygirlabs.com/url]

I like those RSX's a lot. For myself, I tend to like body designs that are a little more extravagant. I bought this 2004 Celica GT-S last February and it has been awesome! (See photo attached.) The body kit gives it just that special flare that I like.

On the other hand, your car is definitely faster than mine! :P

I've been driving manual since I was 16 and won't drive anything else. Automatics are poo. I'm still getting used to the 6th gear on this car, though. Weird.

Everytime I see a sports car on the road with an automatic transmission, I weep. [:/] It took me a while too to get used to the 6 gear trans...especially downshifting 3 gears when dire acceleration is needed...but it's soooooo cool!

I have been looking at an RSX as a replacement to my truck. I liked integras and the rsx is the continuance to that... Just have to justify it in the budget.

:S:o
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've been driving manual since I was 16 and won't drive anything else. Automatics are poo. ;)

I hear that. I had only own standards until I moved to NYC where I had nothing. When I left NY a few months ago I was able to get my father's company car (an automatic) for pennies on the dollar so I had to do it.

It's been 5 months and I still reach for the clutch when I go to start the car and every time I come to a stop. When I first got it I nearly ripped the shifter out of place trying to change gears when it only slides back and forth. :S

Congrats on a great purchase. Have fun and be safe!

-jason.
Killing threads since 2004.

I like those RSX's a lot. For myself, I tend to like body designs that are a little more extravagant. I bought this 2004 Celica GT-S last February and it has been awesome! (See photo attached.) The body kit gives it just that special flare that I like.

:P

Funny, I had a 2001 Celica before the RSX, that's the car that was totaled. :SB|

Great car, but I like my RSX far better. :)

I just ordered a Prius to replace the van I've been driving for ten years now (Amy took the Honda hybrid.) Specs are interesting:

4 cyl 1.4 liter gas engine
143 hp combined (67 electric, 76 gas)
295 lb-ft at 1200 rpm
82 lb-ft at 7000 rpm
60mpg city 51mpg highway
no transmission

The electric motor gives it much better acceleration from a stop (max torque at zero RPM) than a gas engine, but acceleration at 60mph isn't as good as a gas 143hp would be. The powertrain is odd, too - it uses a single planetary gear instead of a transmission, and there are three parts to it (IC engine, electric motor and axle drive) that all run at constantly differing speeds.

Another interesting feature is that _everything_ runs off the traction battery, including the air conditioner. If you're sitting somewhere waiting to pick someone up, the engine stops but everything else keeps running. So for the sleep-in-the-car-at-boogies crowd, you can get A/C without running the engine all night.

It's called a Continuously Variable ratio Transmission (CVT). Some designs are better than others. I believe Toyota uses a chain versus a belt (good). EPA MPG figures are a frickin dream though -- if you attain those figures in your use, then you'll be a 1%-er. Toyota and Honda have been asking the EPA to reivse the MPG figures.

Do the batteries keep enough of a charge that you would be able to run the AC or Heat while you sleep? Or, you keep the car "on" and the engine will start up periodically to recharge the batteries?

Is there a waiting list for the Prius? (since you ordered it) When do you take delivery?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

> It's called a Continuously Variable ratio Transmission (CVT).

I thought that too, but it's really not. Toyota calls it a Power Split Device (PSD) and the single planetary gear involved does not set the ratio. It's no more complex than a typical differential. All the magic happens in the motor control electronics. It's really ingenious - it took me a few hours to do the math to prove to myself that it really does work.

>Some designs are better than others. I believe Toyota uses a chain
>versus a belt (good).

The Honda hybrid uses a chain. It seems to work pretty well with the exception that when you back off on the power after accelerating it makes a faint noise that sounds _exactly_ like a police siren; the first few times I heard it I looked around for the cop car. But the Prius doesn't use any sort of belt or chain - it has only one freewheeling planetary gear between the motors and the wheels. Here are some links to the design details:

http://home.earthlink.net/~graham1/MyToyotaPrius/SideBars/PsdLikeDiff.htm
http://ibs.howstuffworks.com/ibs/jax/hybrid-car16.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~graham1/MyToyotaPrius/Understanding/PowerSplitDevice.htm

>EPA MPG figures are a frickin dream though -- if you attain those
> figures in your use, then you'll be a 1%-er. Toyota and Honda have
> been asking the EPA to reivse the MPG figures.

We've been getting between 42 and 55mpg with the Honda hybrid; specs say 48. I'll have to see what kind of mileage we get with the Prius.

>Do the batteries keep enough of a charge that you would be able to run
>the AC or Heat while you sleep? Or, you keep the car "on" and the
> engine will start up periodically to recharge the batteries?

During the test drive, I tried it, and ran the A/C in park without the engine running for about 10 minutes - and no change on the battery charge meter. The salesman got antsy and wanted to drive off, so I didn't test it any further. If the A/C takes about 500 watts it should run for 4 hours before the computer restarts the engine to charge the batteries.

>Is there a waiting list for the Prius? (since you ordered it) When do
>you take delivery?

Yep, approx 4 months. Dealers are starting to charge $2000 above list because demand is so high. I've been going to this dealer for years, so I actually got a bit of a price break, but it will still be around 4 months to get it in.