livendive

What's your wierdest taste in music?

I've got Nina Simone CRANKED right now. Fat black women who sing the blues but can belt it out with the best southern baptist choirs ROCK! :$:P

[/self restraint mode]

I wish I knew how it would feel to be free
I wish I could break all the chains holdin' me
I wish I could say all the things I should say
Say 'em loud
Say 'em clear
For the whole round world to hear

I wish I could share all the love that's in my heart
Remove all the bonds that keep us apart
I wish you could know what it means to be me
Then you'd see and agree that every man should be free.....

[resume self-restraint mode]

OK, I'll stop before "Sinnerman" starts... :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

i'd have to say it would be either the "deep forest" album i have or the "tangerine dream--- mars polaris" album....... some times i just like listening to some stuff that isn'tmain stream... the liz story -- seven seconds to eternity albumis some nice piano music too...

SUIOX and the Banchees

You're calling Siouxie wierd? Fuck that! ;)

That's what I was thinking. I love Siouxie...

I also love KODO, an amazingly talented Japanese taiko drum playing group. I've seen them live at least five times over the last 7 or 8 years!

Taiko drum-playing is better explained here:
Taiko is a drumming style of Japanese origin. While various taiko drums have been used in Japan for over 1400 years, and possibly much longer, the style of taiko best known today has a relatively short history, beginning in the 1950's.

"Taiko" in general is often used to mean the relatively modern art of Japanese drum ensembles (kumi-daiko), but the word actually refers to the taiko drums themselves. Literally, taiko means "fat drum," although there is a vast array of shapes and sizes of taiko. Within the last fifty years since kumi-daiko was created, it has seen phenomenal growth to the point where there are over 8,000 taiko groups in Japan by some counts. Borrowing on thousands of years of tradition, taiko groups are now taking the style worldwide. Taiko promises to be the first native Japanese music to spread through the world.

might sound a bit chauvinistic, but I love to hear some alpenhorn in certain situations...

No particular tune though...

And national anthems, because they are important to people. Not all of them, but a lot.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Sigur Rós is played often here, and I find their sound absolutely beautiful.:P

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/index.html

They are a rock band from iceland and reflect the barren, lunar landscape of the peculiar country. As the name "sigur rós" (borrowed from a friend's little sister) implies, they've made the impractical decision to forgo english, singing in a weird form of icelandic that even the locals don't understand.

jónsi: plays the guitar with a bow---"i use a Gibson les paul - i find it kind of really nice for the bow," he says. "the bow isn°t hard to learn - you just play it slowly and through a lot of reverb. i use a cello bow, not a violin bow. some people don°t know that you have to use rosin, but it is important to use it; you also have to use cello rosin and not double bass rosin. the feel for the bow just comes, but it takes a long time to develop the touch.

The song at the end of vanilla sky by sigur rós (on the roof of the skyscraper) is called njósnavélin (a.k.a. the nothing song)
One of sigur rós songs named starálfur (a.k.a. staring elf) from the 1999 album ágætis byrjun is featured in Wes Anderson's new movie, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. It's a comedy starring Bill Murray and will be released on Dec 25th.

For a taste of sigur rós check out:
untitled #1 [a.k.a. vaka] music video
from their website:
http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/media/dldvideo.html

SMiles;)

to this day I still listen to "Trout Mask Replica" by Capt. Beefhearts Magic Band on a regular basis
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I also love KODO, an amazingly talented Japanese taiko drum playing group. I've seen them live at least five times over the last 7 or 8 years!

Taiko drum-playing is better explained here:
Taiko is a drumming style of Japanese origin. While various taiko drums have been used in Japan for over 1400 years, and possibly much longer, the style of taiko best known today has a relatively short history, beginning in the 1950's.

"Taiko" in general is often used to mean the relatively modern art of Japanese drum ensembles (kumi-daiko), but the word actually refers to the taiko drums themselves. Literally, taiko means "fat drum," although there is a vast array of shapes and sizes of taiko. Within the last fifty years since kumi-daiko was created, it has seen phenomenal growth to the point where there are over 8,000 taiko groups in Japan by some counts. Borrowing on thousands of years of tradition, taiko groups are now taking the style worldwide. Taiko promises to be the first native Japanese music to spread through the world.

KODO is awesome. I saw them in Escondido last year. Let me know when they come back this way.

SUIOX and the Banchees

You're calling Siouxie wierd? Fuck that! ;)

Blues,
Dave

My ex used to say that if the music was by a dead, black man, it was probably in my collection (blues), but my weirdest recent pick is by the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, an all-chick punk band, it's weird but great.

I like Bach's organ music played really loud. I have been known to sit inside the pipe case between the ranks of pipes on occasion.

They Might Be Giants is a wierd taste too, I guess.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Wing!

Wing rocks!

Wing sings the Beatles... clicky

Wing sings the Sound of Music... clicky

Wing sings the Carpenters... clicky

And just in time for Christmas - Wing sings Christmas... clicky

If you haven't experienced Wing, you haven't lived...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Don't be afraid of death,
be afraid of the unlived life.

i guess the weirdest piece of music was the "tractatus logico philosphicus" by philosopher ludwig wittgenstein set to music by a finish guy named m.a. numinnen - btw: if you are into finish tango you shoudn't miss him

...and why do you think nina simone is weird?
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Yeah, know what you mean about the Murphys... Theres not a particularly big punk scene in Aberystwyth, so a lot of my tastes go unappreciated :( Oh yeah, and just recently Ive had a terrible habit of downloading William Shatner covers :S Gotta hear "Rocketman" again...