ryoder

Predictions of future technology

<-----

also, I think snopes has something to say about this one, too..

Elvisio "duck!" Rodriguez

Yup.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The three panels behind the "computer" are the operating plant of a submarine... I used to sit in the middle seat for a living (reactor operator)... The picture brought back many nightmares. :SB|:|

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Don't be afraid of death,
be afraid of the unlived life.

I wonder if they could have fathomed the idea of having 64K of memory at more than 1hz.

They are going to look back at us and wonder too.

Ain't it great?!?!?!?

hey guys, have you figured out yet that the picture, and the caption under it, is faked? It was photoshopped & the caption was made up.

I guess some people here have realized that and some have not.

:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Nice one, Bob! I love the plug for Fortran B| I actually worked at Lockheed Martin with a guy that refused to stop programming in Fortran, even though our 6-DOF simulations got WAY slow from his code plugins - we finally made him upgrade the compiler from Fortran 77 to something newer :D
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Nice one, Bob! I love the plug for Fortran B| I actually worked at Lockheed Martin with a guy that refused to stop programming in Fortran, even though our 6-DOF simulations got WAY slow from his code plugins - we finally made him upgrade the compiler from Fortran 77 to something newer :D

When I worked for Marconi I once delivered a missile sensor simulator for another division of Marconi. We did the 3D graphics for the sensor on an SGI and sent it through a "data cube" for convolutions, noise, temporal filtering and HUD symbology. Everything was written in C code with IrisGL. I had to add a Fortran wrapper for the C simulator interface (basically a struct with a bunch of data fields they could just dump values into) because the guy running the customer's lab was a Fortran fanatic. He actually hired a bunch of hot young programmers to write the simulation code and guess what, they were C & C++ experts and had to learn Fortran77 to do the job.

This guy was clueless, I had a quick chat with him and he claimed there was nothing you could do in C that you couldn't do in Fortran but the reverse wasn't the case.

I've forgotten almost everything I learned about Fortran, but I remember thinking it was awesome when I transitioned to it from Basic and then I discovered C and never looked back.

My memories of college Fortran involve flags chasing me throughout the night in a most vicious nightmare!

Write program, punch cards, drop cards, re-order 'em, run 'em through and get a freaking flag, re-write, repunch cards, keep 'em the same order, drop cards again, re-order, re-run 'em through....for what? 2+2 = 4:S
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239