AggieDave

X-mas present help

I'm stuck and I need help, I can't figure out what I'm going to get Mom for Christmas. I was going to give her a tandem w/ video, but she can't for a few different reasons (she wants to, though).

So I need some ideas.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

How about a gift certificate to a day spa or for a massage. My Mom loves those types of gifts that let her relax for the day.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

What a good boy to spend so much on your mom! B| Ok, so have you looked for dolls and Thomas Kincade stuff already? Buy her something that she wouldn't normally buy herself. Also, try to give her something special from you too. Does she live far away? Radio Shack makes these cool frames you can put a picture in and also record a message. The grandmothers are getting those in my family this year.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Obviously you have been snooping under my Christmas tree cause that is what the grandmothers are getting at my house too!

My parents just built a screened porch on their house so they are also getting a propane outdoor heater for out there. They are very similar to what is used at my DZ and work really good. It is lithe the chimineaha thing....really cool.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I'm a mom(tm). I like jump tickets. If you give me half of your mom-present money, I'll give you some great ideas!!!

You could spring for a night at a hotel on the Riverwalk, or you could take her out to dinner a couple of times -- that's dinner WITH conversation, and including her in your life. Time with your kids as they get older, and become adults, is truly precious.

This mom loves seeing her son take command of things. Dorky, but true. So learning a little about Kinkade (porcelain dolls would be pushing it), enough to talk with her about it, and then using that knowledge to buy her something that really suits her (rather than just something she doesn't have), would be good. Especially if you can have several conversations with her about it.

I realize I'm waxing philosophic, but you did ask what a mom would want. She wants to know that her son has the tools to make himself a happy, self-sufficient man. Show her, and share it with her.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Older women have a lot of time on their hands. They generally are going to the mall and shopping when they aren't even going to buy. That is why they have every opportunity to buy durable stuff that they want. You won't surprise them or come up with stuff that they don't have.

My two things for moms are:
1- expensive cologne that they wouldn't buy for themselves. "white shoulders" or "happy". $40 to $100, depending on how much you like your mom. ;) (just kidding, dammit)

2- one of those spa trips. These are great because they can spend all day on Saturday getting hair, nails, massage, etc for $100 to $150. They get pampered all day. Then, here is the best part: None of their girlfriends' kids has ever done this. She can brag how you spoil her and make her buddies jealous. Moms love to say "my son loves me more than your son" in a subtle way. Check around for one. I guarantee that you can do no wrong for 6 months afterwards.

If possible, keep it under $150, she loves porcilin dolls, she likes Thomas Kinkade (sp?), stuff like that.

Hey, i can totally relate to this since my parents like Kinkade as well. First, find out what pictures she already has. It'd really suck to send her one she already has. The reproductions usually aren't out of your price range, it's the originals that will break you. besides the pictures, Kinkades puts out these books of all the pictures he's done that make good coffee table items. If you don't have a Kinkade store in your area you can check online or on QVC, as they sell his stuff from time to time. Hope that helps. Believe it or not, some moms actually like things that you personally make. I got a request to do a hand made card one year...just like back in the 3rd grade except this time i had no excuse for coloring outside the lines:D

I just thought of this. Your a video guy right? Why not compile footage you have or film footage specifically for your mom of you skydiving...a HI MOM T-shirt or card board sign in freefall and then you can put it to music and narrate your thoughts and feelings to her on it. Just another idea;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If she has done the 'spa' thing too many times another idea would be a ride in a 'limo', or has she done that? Maybe to a specific place?

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

You are a little late on this, you know Dave...:P

But here is my idea: There is a town called Salida, Colorado where there is a glass-blowing co. and their speciality is hot air balloons with hand painted designs on the inside of the glass. They hand blow the balloon, put some kind of metal on it for ribs and a basket and then hand paint the inside. They are awesome, and you can get a pretty good sized one for about $75. I had one since 1994 until about two years ago some dude broke it (It was hanging as a ceiling fan pull - which was fine unless you were drunk and had superhuman strength combined with no balance!)

They have lots of pre-made designs, and maybe you could get express shipping. I don't remember their name/address but I could find it pretty easily (I keep phone books, OK?!)!)! Just an idea.........

Blue Skies,
Ape

Dave, in California there's a group called CABBI, California Association of Bed and Breakfast Inns. I bet there's a similar thing there in the Lone Star State. Most all the B&B's in the state are registered with them. You get a gift certificate for $150 and you get this cool brochure with all the neat places to stay, and Mom plans a nice little trip around the stay.

If my Mom actually NEEDS something she tells me, but otherwise it's a cool ticket. She can stay anywhere she wants, and most of the places are neat.