kelel01

How do you define "in love"?

So what exactly is served at Turtle's Bar & Grill?

Well, anything that you heart desires.

That - and beer.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well, there you have it. Falling in love is like a BASE jump.

Is THAT why I have an aversion to BASE? :DB|

Until you know someone on a more intimate level, and experience a relationship with them in which they are interacting with you, you cannot claim to be "in love" based on reality.

I think that's true. This one is just wierd.....not love cause I wouldn't let that happen if it tried. :S

So Kelly..........in place of love can we have some wanton lust..... With whipped cream? B|

Sean Gregory (sdgregory on here) had one of the best posts about the definitions of love I have ever read.

Instead of butchering it I'll just copy and paste it:

Here is the the question.

You ready for it?

You see that over there? Yeah over there? That pile of love right there on the floor. Try to fall in it. You don't see it? Why? Because love is not a thing it is an emotion.

Guess what? This concept of falling IN love or being IN love is a fallacy. Love is a choice.

And there are four kinds of love. The greeks had four different words for it.

Storge - that "feeling of love" or affection that humans feel for one another. This is the instinctual love a Mother or Father feel for their children. It can easily become a possessive love.

Eros - the root for erotic or sexual love based on physical attraction. This is the "Falling in love" type love that you are probably experiencing and you may even believe this to be more than what it is. It is temporary. It transports us beyond our problems and unhappiness or unrest as we feel another person fill an emptiness that we may not even know is there. It could easily never manifest itself in a physical way but it is the euphoria that we feel and that we think is real love.

Phileo - The feeling of being strongly attached. This one developes as we begin to rely on another person and they on us. Other definitions are companionship type love based on similarity in outlook, interests or plans. Most marriages are first based on this kind of love.

Agape - unconditional love. This is the love with no strings attached. I will love you no matter what. This is the love required to keep relationships of any kind together, because let's face it we are human and we all screw up and so sooner or later you will hurt the one you love and unless they have this love for you, the relationship will end. It is the love that allows for forgiveness no matter the cost.

We in the English language use one word to describe all four.

The first two, Storge and Eros, can happen instantaneously and it is arguable whether they are controllable. Storge is not what you would be experiencing here so we can eliminate that. Eros, on the other had, is what initially creates interest in a life partner, it is not the deciding factor and should in no way be the basis of a long term relationship.

The last two, Agape and Phileo, take time to develope. Now these two, without question are a decision you make. You choose to love someone in this way. It is the love that builds over time and takes years of work to develope. Notice the word develope. It is mentioned here and has a definitive place. Because these loves absolutely require time together.

Love is an emotion, you can't "fall" into it.
There are many types of love...

There are people I love that I am not attracted to, and people I am attracted to that I don't love.

There are people I would fight to defend, but am not attracted to.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I've always wondered this . . . in order to be in love, does the other person have to reciprocate? Or can one person be in love with another who doesn't feel the same? It seems silly to say "I'm in love . . ." when you're still alone.

Thoughts? Or is this too deep for the day-after-the-day-after Christmas?

kelel, this is an exact situation I've been in, and amazingly it came to a head around Christmastime.

I've been "infatuated" and "in love" before and I definately know the difference between the two. Love takes work on both sides; there is deep emotional attachment with love than an infatuation which is typically a one-sided situation.

Your feelings may well be much stronger than the other person's and you are both in love (but you emote more), and perhaps not for any reason in particular. It could be that other person is afriad, could be very introverted, or their personality and behavior doesn't make them capable of "letting go" the way you can. You need to ask those questions.

The choices come down to you... can you accept not having the same amount or more reciprocation than what you are dishing out? You need to ask the girl/guy if they are satisfied with you and are willing to continue to go further, and you need to listen very carefully to their answer and gauge what they're saying.

If you still can't deal with that, then you know what decisions you got to make. It's tough. :|

Well, yeah! Of course. Like I said - ANYTHING your heart desires.:)

In that case...my flight gets in @ 6 and wear something sexy when you pick me up from the airport. ;):)

Does this work for you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's not necessary for it to be reciprocated but there is a serious flaw for someone to be so optimistically self absorbed that they are in love with someone without that person being in love with them. It is necessary for this state. And that's what it is; being in love is is a sort of sixth-sense emotion, a state of being, not an expression in the singular dimension of one person to the other. It must be mutual. How could you be in love with a person and not care that the other person thought something less of you?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I think being "in love" is an irrational biochemical reaction a person can feel about another person. It's probably linked to the urge & necessity to reproduce, every nerve and fiber says you want to make a baby with this one. It makes people go nuts, feel sick to their stomachs, fell like their skin is on fire. Not much else seems important anymore and it's easy to behave like a fool in front of a lot of shocked friends or family.

That's not so far fetched if you consider how little any of us know about a new partner. The fun part is when it's reciprocated, the two get to know more about each other, and the biochem fireworks are still going off like the 4th of July. Some people learn how to keep it going for many years. By then you hopefully know each other well enough to find some deeper roots with each other as well.

Do you work with computers?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher