Nataly

Anyone move to the UK lately??

Hi everyone!

Knowing that skydivers are an adventurous bunch.. I thought this might be a good place to ask a few questions...

I'm moving to the UK soon (gonna go live with my boytoy over there :P). I'm in the process of applying for a work visa. I was wondering if anyone else had taken the leap and hopped across the pond (am currently in Canada).. Any advice?
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

dont do it i'd give anything to live in canada it looks so coool cosi love snowboardin:P
those who do it cant explain it! those who dont, cant understand it!.. if riding in a plane is flying then ridding in a boat is swimming!? experince the eliment get out!!

Come on, be serious!!! Anyway, I'm on the east coast--not much snowboarding here.

I challenge the next person to give better advice! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

dont do it i'd give anything to live in canada it looks so coool cosi love snowboardin

She lives in the East... dont dont even know what a montain looks like ;)
Seriously, we moved from Canada to the UK, but for us it was very painless since I have a dual citizenship with a EU passport: I can go there and set up anytime i want B| (though next time it will be a wramer EU contry lol)

What do you want to know Nataly?
Remster

Usual stuff.. Best way to send over my things (mostly clothes and books).. Anything useful about immigration.. Things I might not have considered..

And any stories about mishaps could be good too.. Even if they're not helpful, they might be funny!! And anyway, I could always learn from other people's mistakes!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

For us, it was a full all-out move, so we got all our stuff packed and shipped over.

Dont bother bringing any electronic over there. VHS tapes will play no problem in UK VCRs as most of them, even the cheapest ones, are multi format (PAL and NTSC). DVDs are region coded and you will need a multi region player to play Canadian ones, but they are fairly commun and easy to hack over there.

Expect to pay more for everything that is not a bare essensial: basically, everything but basic groceries is more expensive then in Canada. But salaries are higer over thee on average (in the South East anyways).

Are you going on a spouse visa? If so, getting a Social Security card will be a non-issue: Karen had no problems whatsoever. Finding work was quite easy for her too though temp agencies. This gives you a good idea of pay of work condition without commiting to a long contract.

Anything else?

Oh yeah, just say no to Marmite.....
Remster

Ha ha ha!! I've had marmite!!

No, not going on a spouse basis.. He's just my favourite boytoy ;)!

Yeah, got ya on the electronic stuff.. You shipped it out? By plane? Boat? I'll definitely have too much just to take with me, but thankfully no furniture.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

We moved alltogether. So it was a full container by sea. To get full insurance, you need to get the movers to pack everything. Its not cheap though, but most of it was paid for by my employers.

Oh, and bring q-tips brand qtips if you use them.... they dont have any with the proper firmness overthere... ;)
Remster

definitely don't go anywhere near anyone called Bob even if he shares the surname of an actor and you think he's cute.

Or Macca.........that guy is T-R-O-U-B-L-E.......run like hell if he is on a golf cart! :D

Also......find the nearest Wetherspoon's! It's the only decent place to drink warm beer in the entire country. :P

Arh Clay there are WAY better pubs than Weatherspoons, it's just that Macca hasn't got a clue about these things.

I'll show you all the best pubs in town baby. Those Kent boys just don't know what they're doing, no class!

Sky Pikey

Yeah... no kidding... Its like saying the best place for mexican in the US is Taco Bell!

Ahhhh..........and here we get a little insight into Clay. I said it was good because it's CHEAP! I went in MANY pubs in London. Especially the first night when I went ALL over London looking for Alana and Steph. Being that my $'s were worth HALF what they usually were.....and the amount of alcohol I normally consume......Weatherspoons was my only logical choice. The hamburgers were decent too. :D

Also......find the nearest Wetherspoon's! It's the only decent place to drink warm beer in the entire country. :P

Clay, Those Southerners know squat about decent warm beer! Head further north and we'll introduce you to some decent brews... :D

Hey Nataly,

Welcome to the land of overcast skies and expensive jumps! I moved here from CA about 10 months ago so my experiences are still fresh. You could likely ship your stuff by sea, minimums are usually around 100 square feet and generally 11 - 12 USD per foot. if you are moving furniture, you'll probably exceed that. As someone else said, don't bring your TV, but many other appliances (laptops, shavers, etc.) run on 110 or 220 so all you need is a good adopter. Don't ship any firearms - as handguns are illegal and most others require permits. I had a close call with this as I nearly forgot that I had a 9 millimeter in one of my boxes (in a double locked case, of course). If you are shipping furniture, you will likely need to complete varius customs forms. As long as you are intended to stay for less than 24 months and do not plan to sell your stuff, I believe that you will not have to pay any import duties. Your drivers license is good for 12 months from the date you arrive. You are highly advised to apply for a provisional license prior to then if you are staying longer. After you have the provisional license, you can apply for a standard one (and take both written and practical tests). If your license is Canadanian (unlike American) you may just be able to exchange it for a British one.

Also, this is critical, in most cases you cannot be in the UK when you are applying for a visa. Go to this site to learn what visa you need depending on your circumstances: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977149953
My company had no trouble getting me a visa and then extending it.

Contrary to what others have said, I would recommend living in London. While it is expensive, it is a great place - my second favorite city in the world (after New York).

Hope this helps. PM me if I can help you any further.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wow! Lots to think about!

I should be getting my visa within the next couple of days. I'm reading up on the NHS, opening a bank account, getting a NIN, etc.

I just got a call from my boyfriend over there, and he's been offered 3 weeks of work.. High pay, and very tempting, but it's in Baghdad. I think he should take it, but it's probably going to be when I move out there :S. So I might have to do everything on my own. I'm sure it won't be a problem--lots of people move all the time!

By the way, thanks for the info on firearms ;) and driver's licence :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss