fmmobley

Tried the Skyhook system...

At the recent Skyfest boogie, United Parachute Technologies provided an opportunity for skydivers to do an intential cutaway using a rig hooked up with the Skyhook system.

I decided to do it, not just to try the Skyhook, but to experience a cutaway. (knock on wood) In almost 700 jumps I have not had a malfunction that required me to cutaway my main. I thought the experience would be useful.

The Skyhook works amazingly well. I knew it would get the reserve out fast, but it was hard to believe how fast. It had to be less than 2 seconds from the time of my cutting away until I had a fully inflated reserve.

I am definitly getting one on my next rig, and I enourage others to give that a try if they have the opportunity.

Another cool thing, was the chance to meet Bill Booth himself, shake his hand, and have him sign my logbook.
... Marion

I tried it too, for both of the same reasons. (Thanks UPT!) Very quick reserve full deployment. Reserve completely inflated by the time I had the reserve cord halfway out. It's very fast. It's so fast, that a concern I heard mentioned is that people will use this as an excuse to lower their decision altitude while relying on the technology to fully open their reserve in time. (Pushing technology) That being said, I am seriously considering purchasing my next rig Skyhook equipped.

If you get a chance to try their skyhook cutaway rig, DO IT! Then you can decide for yourself. I think an experience with the system, and it sells itself.

Meeting Bill Booth was cool B|

Nice to see you again Marion.

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere specifically, but what does it do differently than any other RSL?

The Wiki is ok, but to clarify-

RSL just pulls the reserve pin. The reserve opens normally using the spring-loaded reserve pilot chute.

Skyhook is actually a MARD(main assist reserve deployment). The main is attached to the reseve freebag bridle. The cutaway main is used to extract the bagged reserve. The main acts as the reserve pilot chute.

Getting it to work as intended, but not interfere with non-cutaway reserve openings or AAD fires is the part that makes it interesting. There are a couple other MARD setups out there, but they are still in the developmental stages AFAIK. Jerry Baumchen's is really interesting, he has some video of the test jumps in here somewhere (you might search "MARD").
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I watched several of the intentional cutaways and was really amazed at the speed that the reserve deflated.

If I remember correctly, the speed is a secondary benefit for the skyhook, the first being a more positive deployment based upon the reserve canopy being extracted form the d-bag and pulled to line stretch by the main canopy as the jumper falls away from the main. This creates a much more positive opening, and faster too.

I was very impressed with the entire system.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I'll atest to the skyhook benefits from real-life experience. Had a spinner with severe line-twists. horizontal to the ground, spinning around, getting dizzy. pulled cutaway, and before I got the reserve handle pulled, already had a reserve over my head, nice and straight. It works. Plus, the freebag stayed attached to the main, eliminating a day hunting in the cornfield.

I watched several of the intentional cutaways and was really amazed at the speed that the reserve deflated.

Not exactly a good selling point. Maybe you meant INFLATED.

;)

Is there a way to disable to skyhook while under canopy (or on the ground)?

Such as in a situation where (Godforbid) a jumper has a canopy collision with another jumper or a premature deployment at the door.
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

What you did is an excellent experience since you made your first cut away in a controlled environment. I certainly didn't have that chance. Now you really know and lived several things: your reserve is working well, the Skyhook is working well and you know what sensation to expect when doing a cut away. Congrats. We have to keep in mind that there are people who do a cut away and never pull their reserve. I didn't experience already a cut away with my Skyhook but OTOH I had two totals (unintentional) where the Skyhook had to release from the RSL which it did perfectly. Happy for you that you have met Bill Booth, a great inventor.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Not exactly a good selling point. Maybe you meant INFLATED.

;)

Yep, meant inflated. NOTE TO SELF: Do not post (except in the bonfire) when exhausted.

Sorry! Thanks for catching it.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Hi daniel,

Hey Jerry, how's the RAX coming along anyway?

Let me provide some information regarding the RAX System and myself.

The RAX System idea/original concept came from Kelly Farrington. He has been too busy, since he relocated, to do any further development. I liked the concept and decided to see if I could get to a useable device.

I developed it for any mfr to use if they want, for free; no license req'd. Kelly and I agreed from the very beginning that we would not charge anyone who might want to install it on their rigs.

I do not plan on doing any further testing of it. From the testing that I have completed I feel that the current design is ready to go.

One US mfr did begin the testing of it on their rigs but due to a personnel loss have not been able to get any further along. At least that is what they tell me.

One European mfr has completed testing and is now offering on their line of military rigs. They are considering doing further testing with small-ish canopies for their line of sport rigs.

It reminds me of the late 50's/early 60's: everyone drove American cars. Then one day someone said 'Now how about those ferrin' autos?' And look where we are today.

As I said, there are other designs in the works.

Personally: I think the RAX System is a great concept and would like to see it used by many, many gear mfrs. It is an extremely simple design that works every time.

And I will not make any negative comments about any other designs.

Does that answer your questions?

JerryBaumchen

PS) I have also developed a soft link that can be made for ~$1/each with no sewing req'd. See Page 5 of the first issue of Blue Skies Mag.

i tried my skyhook not long ago, tention knots on my JVX86. couldn't clear them. lost 2000ft in the meantime, 1.2 seconds from cutaway to inflated reserve.

3/4 linetwist but all good.

I didn't have time to extract the reserve ripcord!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBr5OW3LT0I
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

i tried my skyhook not long ago, tention knots on my JVX86. couldn't clear them. lost 2000ft in the meantime, 1.2 seconds from cutaway to inflated reserve.

3/4 linetwist but all good.

I didn't have time to extract the reserve ripcord!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBr5OW3LT0I

Nice video Rhys. That spin looked like it was working up some reall speed!

Shame you didnt get the micro raven landing on video as well ;)

Nice video Rhys. That spin looked like it was working up some reall speed!

Shame you didnt get the micro raven landing on video as well Wink

yeah it was moving towards the end!

I am gutted i didn't get the landing too, i had heard so much about how shit the micro ravens flare i was concentrating quite hard on getting that right, i stood it up with a little run off, i wouldn't call it an amazing flare but not as bad as some make it out to be.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Was that cause your left hand was on the main risers?

my arms are not 100 ft long:D

Nah, but seriously, there is a thing about deploying a reserve when unstable, the skyhook will ensure linestretch, no hesitation, and no entaglement with the bridle.

If i am spinning, and still have adequate height (no skyhook/rsl), I will regain stability before deploying the reserve, my left hand can be a vital part of regaining stability.

I had a similar occurance on a standard RSL on a tandem, after chopping, i went head low and to the left, i put my left hand out to grab some air, and as i reached back for the reserve handle, the reserve inflated. the velcro had only just started to peel so i left the handle in place.

I did a skyhook demo as well ok not by choice but check it out no line twists on reserve as well as never even had time to reach down for my reserve handle. and yes I know that there is a canopy close on reserve deployment. It was my team mate both flying Velos I tracked tword dz he was 90 degrees off and lower. He turn to the dz and could not see me till I spiraled down to him. yes we talked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQREIAbaL98

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

The RAX System idea/original concept came from Kelly Farrington. He has been too busy, since he relocated, to do any further development. I liked the concept and decided to see if I could get to a useable device.

I developed it for any mfr to use if they want, for free; no license req'd. Kelly and I agreed from the very beginning that we would not charge anyone who might want to install it on their rigs.

Good for you Jerry and Kelly too. That generous spirit
(no license fees) is very much appreciated. I hope it gets adopted.

Skydiving has become more and more "commercial" and profit driven since I started jumping in 1968. That's OK, DZOs and gear mfrs have to make a living, but I am glad there are still a few guys like you and Kelly who bring a wealth of experience and innovative safety ideas/inventions into our sport and don't seek a dime for it.

The U Tube videos were very impressive, especially the bag lock one.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.