bertusgeert

Astronomy

Why is the solar system in a disk shape and not randomly thrown around the sun?? And why are all the planet's orbits nearly circular?

I know that the gas and crap collects, gravitating towards each other, and then spinning fast around each other. And this is ho wa star is created right? But why in a flat disk?

I know there is probably a site with the answers. Just tell me and i'll shut up and won't annoy you anymore. :)

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Why is the solar system in a disk shape and not randomly thrown around the sun?? And why are all the planet's orbits nearly circular?

I know that the gas and crap collects, gravitating towards each other, and then spinning fast around each other. And this is ho wa star is created right? But why in a flat disk?

I know there is probably a site with the answers. Just tell me and i'll shut up and won't annoy you anymore. :)

One simple answer - Rareafied air molecules.< nods head>
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I love Astronomy, I'm a Gemini - what's your sign?B|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

In the simplest way possible - because it spins. If it didn't spin (which is unlikely) it would stay as a blob.
Scars remind us that the past is real

on a side note... have you heard about some of the theories about Dec 21, 2012. The due to the earth's procession, we are suppose to hit a "Dark Rift" in the Milky Way where it will be dark for three days. No light will be reflected, since that's what light is anyways. Some interesting stories out there......

In the simplest way possible - because it spins. If it didn't spin (which is unlikely) it would stay as a blob.

You're on the right track, yes, it's all about the spin, but if it didn't spin it would all just be drawn to the same point in space -- our Sun for instance.

Since the distribution of matter isn't -exactly- smooth, any gravitational collapse of matter will have a tendancy to spin. Once the spin begins, it defines certain things -- namely the axis of the spin. Matter at the axis does not spin as fast so is drawn toward the gravitational center. Matter being spun will start to orbit the gravitational center. This is what creates the disk.

Pluto, because of its off ecliptic orbit and eccentricity which brings it within the orbit of Neptune, is generally thought to be a "captured" planet. An object not from this solar system, mearly captured by it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

on a side note... have you heard about some of the theories about Dec 21, 2012. The due to the earth's procession, we are suppose to hit a "Dark Rift" in the Milky Way where it will be dark for three days. No light will be reflected, since that's what light is anyways. Some interesting stories out there......

Uh . . . no. That's not going to happen.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There was an interesting simulator on the NASA web page that talked about this a few months back. I can't seem to find the link now.

As the model showed basically all galaxies start off a spheres with some initial rotation. With no spin at the poles gravity pulls that mass inwards. The spin at the equator somewhat counteracts pull of gravity and slows the collapse. Thus you end up with a spinning disc over time.

Uh . . . no. That's not going to happen.

Well the internet says it gonna happen:)

http://www.greatdreams.com/2012.htm

No need to invest in a pension! More money for skydives!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

think about it this way if u attach a small wieght to the end of a pencil via a lenght of string then start spining it it will spin flat in one direction.!!

i hope that 3 day's of dark thing does happen that will be well cool, confusing but coolB|
those who do it cant explain it! those who dont, cant understand it!.. if riding in a plane is flying then ridding in a boat is swimming!? experince the eliment get out!!

Angular momentum gravity and friction etc.

Imagine that all the stuff in a sphere around the Sun (and including the Sun) has an average angular momentum. Basically the whole lot of stuff if you average out all the motion spins around a single axis even if individual particles vary. Over time internal gravitational collapse, and collisions etc, spin this material into a disk, but material in the disk maintains the averaged orbital velocity about the center of mass in the plane of the disc.

There's a theory that somewhere "out there" there's a spherical cloud of rocky crud that's not completely accreted into a disk called the "oort cloud".

You gotta read Bill Bryson's - "A short history of nearly everything". The first chapters cover the formation of the universe, solar system, and earth.

~Chivo

CHIVO!!!

:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You're on the right track, yes, it's all about the spin, but if it didn't spin it would all just be drawn to the same point in space -- our Sun for instance.

Since the distribution of matter isn't -exactly- smooth, any gravitational collapse of matter will have a tendancy to spin. Once the spin begins, it defines certain things -- namely the axis of the spin. Matter at the axis does not spin as fast so is drawn toward the gravitational center. Matter being spun will start to orbit the gravitational center. This is what creates the disk.

Pluto, because of its off ecliptic orbit and eccentricity which brings it within the orbit of Neptune, is generally thought to be a "captured" planet. An object not from this solar system, mearly captured by it.

"Accretion Disk" B|:D

And of course by some accounts, Pluto isn't a planet at all. Neither is "Planet X".

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."