slotperfect

Do You Have A Five-Year Plan?

This concept was introduced to me when I was a young Staff Sergeant. My Commander, then a Lieutenant Colonel, ordered us all to come up with a 5-year plan for our careers. I didn't understand the concept fully, so mine wasn't very good. I did actually achieve a couple of things it contained, so maybe it was an OK start. BTW - that Commander is now a Major General so it must be working for him!

I know people that have very serious, well though out 5 year plans for everything - family, career, finances, skydiving, etc. Those people seem to do well at long-term planning too - kids' college funds, IRAs, education, etc.

Being eligible for military retirement (but not ready to go yet), I am in the middle of working on mine so my family and I can be well-prepared for my eventual transition to "civilian" life in 4-6 more years. The more homework I do on the elements of it, the more I realize how important it is in my life at the moment. My plan is not "carved in stone" by any means, but NOT having a plan clearly affects my focus on the important preparations (some of which take time).

I am interested in hearing about others who have successfully used this concept (or variants) and what motivated you all to create such a plan to begin with. What worked for you? What did not work? Share via PM if you're not comfortable airing it here.
Arrive Safely

John

Hi John,

Me personally dont use one but a friend of my dads did and it went someting like this.

He numbered hid goals from most important to least important , then rated them as money was involved in each one.

He wanted to buy an investment property, increase him annual income, find a wife, marry and take a holiday.

So he put them in an achivable order and worked on one at a time.

He has now completed each one and has just returned from his honeymoon/holiday.

I think that if you need a plan, be conservative so you dont do your own head in if you dont complete each one.
As your married( i think?) involve your wife so that you both know what it is your working towards, be it investments, more cash, holidays or just plain wellbeing.

Good luck.

Doddy:)

A man who views the world at 50, the same as he did when he was 20, has wasted 30 yrs of his life.

"Muhammad Ali"

Well, what motivated me was my uncle saying that "you can't get to where you want to go if you don't know where you want to go in the first place."

So, I made a list of 101 things to do before I die. There are always 101 things on the list. When I do something, it comes off the list and something new goes on. That way, I always have goals to work on. Some are little goals, like a book I haven't gotten around to reading. Others are big goals, like finishing law school and visiting Africa.

John,
I work my planning into 3 groups, short term 0-3 years, long term 5-10 years and retirement. Nothing is carved in stone as you said; but, it gives me something to evaluate each January and see how I am doing. It's really amazing how some things change in a few months/years and how somethings start to come more into focus.

I limit my planning to 3 broad areas family (planning for children in the near future), money (retirement/college expense, etc) and career.

Also in my opinion, don't plan too much. There has to be enough wiggle room to have fun. It's not only about meeting goals. It's about living a life that is fulfilling.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I made a list of 101 things to do before I die

I get a lot of people with the same kind of list as Tandem and AFF Students. They are a lot of fun. I get to find out what other things they have already done, what topped their list, and (afterward) how the skydive ranked. I also get to find out what's next for them - fun to learn about people that way.

I have never had such a list, but I have done a lot of things that I have set out to do. Some of them were critical to who I am today. Reading your reply I have decided I will do just that. It will be much more fun to create that than my 5-year plan.
Arrive Safely

John

Also in my opinion, don't plan too much. There has to be enough wiggle room to have fun. It's not only about meeting goals. It's about living a life that is fulfilling.

I'm with you there . . . though my history is that a lack of planning has limited me at times in accomplishing the goals I have set for myself. This plan simply sets me up to have the largest number of options.
Arrive Safely

John

My youngest child will graduate from high school in 5 years. My plan at that point is simple. I'm going to finally exhale!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I don't have a strict 5 year plan, I have career and personal goals that I keep in mind all of the time.
I have a little memo book that I keep with me all the time that I jot goals down in. It could be travelling somewhere, learning something new, a career goal, personal or whatever it may be. I like to be able to check things off when I have accomplished them.

This concept was introduced to me when I was a young Staff Sergeant. My Commander, then a Lieutenant Colonel, ordered us all to come up with a 5-year plan for our careers. I didn't understand the concept fully, so mine wasn't very good. I did actually achieve a couple of things it contained, so maybe it was an OK start. BTW - that Commander is now a Major General so it must be working for him!

I know people that have very serious, well though out 5 year plans for everything - family, career, finances, skydiving, etc. Those people seem to do well at long-term planning too - kids' college funds, IRAs, education, etc.

Being eligible for military retirement (but not ready to go yet), I am in the middle of working on mine so my family and I can be well-prepared for my eventual transition to "civilian" life in 4-6 more years. The more homework I do on the elements of it, the more I realize how important it is in my life at the moment. My plan is not "carved in stone" by any means, but NOT having a plan clearly affects my focus on the important preparations (some of which take time).

I am interested in hearing about others who have successfully used this concept (or variants) and what motivated you all to create such a plan to begin with. What worked for you? What did not work? Share via PM if you're not comfortable airing it here.

Used to. Now I take my OCD medication every day and enjoy life a lot more.
What could possibly go wrong?

Only one goal at this point, see attached

You'll never fit in that boat, it's way too small......it would need to be like , 2 times bigger

(Extra credit if you can name the movie thats from)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

hi there
having a 5 year plan is great, some people call it a buisness plan, or growth plan. my bad is that i can wright them for others but when it comes to me i just dont seem yo be able to get round to it!
what ever you do the plan should be flexible and achievable, aim high work hard for it.

wish you all luck with your goals
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.

Within 5 years I want to be a successful LEO, preferably with some sort of "special" assignment like a motorcycle officer or SWAT qualified.

Within 5 years I want to be PST qualified and have atleast 5,000 jumps.

Within 2 years I want to finally achieve my black belt.

Within 5 years I want to be competitive in the IDPA.

Within 5 years I know I'll be even in more love with Morgan then I am now...that's a tall order since I'm desperately in love with her (and we celebrated our 1 year engaged anniversary yesterday). I can't help it, every day I'm falling more and more in love with her.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You'll never fit in that boat, it's way too small......it would need to be like , 2 times bigger

Sounds like you're trying to quote Zoolander there.

"What is this?!?! A center for ANTS?! How can you expect the children to learn, if they can't even fit inside the building?!?! It needs to be atleast... THREE times bigger than this!!!"

Oh and... 5 year plan blah blah blah

Sounds like you're trying to quote Zoolander there.

"What is this?!?! A center for ANTS?! How can you expect the children to learn, if they can't even fit inside the building?!?! It needs to be atleast... THREE times bigger than this!!!"

Oh and... 5 year plan blah blah blah

God i LOVE that movie!

I don't have a five year plan, i have goals that i'set myself but as far as figuring out thepoint to life, i believe it's just to live it. Have as much fun as you can while you can.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky