cloudseeker

Anyone from Alabama?

I lived in Tuscaloosa and Montgomery for a few years, but I think I made it out before too much damage was done to me. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Oh, come on now! It's not that bad! I know it goes against all stereotypes, but I myself, am not, nor ever have I been a redneck that lives in a trailer with 14 cars up on blocks in the front yard that has a mullet for a haircut and rotten teeth that does nothing but listen to Hank Williams Jr. all day.

I know most people think that's what we are, but trust me, most of the people I know aren't like that ;) There are some, but only in towns like Opp! Yes, it's the name of a town :$

Kim

When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will long to return.-Leonardo DiVinci

only in towns like Opp!

What a town that is!! Used to drive through it on my way to Ft Walton. :D There's a string of scary towns along there.....:S

Oh yes!! We go that way to Destin also! :o It's some crazy stuff!!
When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will long to return.-Leonardo DiVinci

There are some, but only in towns like Opp! Yes, it's the name of a town

Yup, not to mention Flea Hop, Bug tussle and Slap Out.

The town name that always tickled me though wasw Equality, AL.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I spent some time with work on a project in southern Alabama (Dothan, Enterprise, Geneva), and while I was there, finished my AFF up until about jump 80 at one of the friendliest DZs I've been to, Skydive Tallahassee...

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

My stepfather is from Mobile Alabama. Well originaly he was. He hasn't been back in thirty years....B|

Just kidding although he does not go back often maybe twice in the past 15 years. I did happen to go out with him one summer to Mobile to visit his family and I had a great time. His familly lives down along the bay or that huge river that comes out in Mobile. I 3was younger and can't really remember the specifics. Beautiful area with all sorts of old confederate military bases. We caught lots of crab and catfish. Beautiful area. Though I couldn't help getting the feeling that everyones life dream was to get and an air conditioned patio...;) It was friggen hot and muggy...

went to school in Montgomery, but i wont admit to being "from" alabama..

thats just the last place i was imprisoned...uh the military stationed my father before he retired...

My dad's parents and other members of his extended family were from Opp. There and a little crossroads called Blue's Old Stand. My great grandfather ran with the James Gang and that is where he ran and hid out and started a still.

Chuck

That's really cool! The south has a lot of history and old time stories to it that you just can't find anywhere else. I used to be embarrassed to say that I was from Alabama when I would go on vacation, but now I really embrace the heritage that I've learned about from my family, especially from my grandparents. There is a slow pace and friendly atmosphere here that I really love. The older I get, the more old fashioned I get. The only thing I used to think about was leaving home and going somewhere more exciting, but now I love it here, and have come to appreciate my home. I have a lot of wonderful memories here :)

I wouldn't admit it if I was! (unless I was Chuck B. of course, but the Alabama Gang just ROCKS! I'll have to go to the wffc next year so I can see your dad again...he won't molest me will he? LOL)

hehe Just Kidding (at least to all potential customers. LOL)

hell it is bad enough, though...I am from Texoma!! Yeah, it is called that for a reason...it is in Texas but it is so damn close to Oklahoma you can almost touch it! We fly over the state line on jump run...

I used to be embarrassed to say that I was from Alabama

Actually, for all the fun I poke I like Alabama a lot. I'm much more partial to rural areas than I am city. There's certainly lots of that in Alabama. I have seen some very strange things in that state though...:D

I, like Ckuck, was born in the former Lee county hospital, grew up outside Opelika, just about everyone in my family graduated from Auburn. Now I live in Huntsville. I love it here. I am proud of growing up in rural Alabama, I am a redneck. :) Oh yeah, whats wrong with having a bunch of broken down cars in the yard??

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Mike, the guy you were responding to in your post, jumps (or at least used to jump) at Thomaston. There are a few people who post on here that jump in Tuskeege (at my dad's dropzone there), but the "must jump a turbine" people jump a bunch of other places. I know a couple that drive all the way up to ASC to jump from Auburn and a couple that drive all the way to Moss Point, MS. Others still drive up to Pell City. If you are not a turbine snob Tuskeegee (Skydive Opelika) has two really nice Cessna 182's.

Chuck