Salsa_John

What would you do?

A Skydiver friend recently broke his ankle on a bad landing and is currently in the hospital. He said he was surprised that only 3 of his fellow skydivers have checked on how he was doing. DZ has his contact info.

Not trying to stir up anything. I personally have a rough time going to hospitals due to past experiences. I am new and wondered how the community deals with injuries to fellow divers.

Thanks for shedding light on this for me.

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

I'd go visit. I actually went to a hospital to visit someone who'd been seriously injured, and I had never met her prior to this. She wasn't in her home state and was a skydiver. 'Nuff reason to go visit and wish her well so that she didn't feel alone.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

you'll jump out of a plane with someone you call 'friend' but wont walk into a hospital to say 'hi how are you doing...hope your getting better'?? :S

not exactly a good friend now are you?

rethorical for discussion, i'm not accusing you of being a terrible friend, but put things in perspective....

Go see him... or dont pretend your really his friend...

Get over your "rough time" about hospitals and go see the guy. I was in the hospital for 3 day, non-skydiving related, and only had 2 people visit me. They were my nurses. [:/] He'll be grateful that you took the time our to go see him. It'll make you feel good. :)

Put your self in his place. How would you like people coming and visiting you?

It's not necessary to take anything with you when you go visit him, but some items I've taken to friends in the hospital:

Ice Cream
Videos/DVDs
Pizza
Bag of chips
Juice/soda
Magazines

Don't take any liquor, I did that one time, and got my friend in lots of trouble. Not to mention the nurse telling me that next time I came in, I would be searched.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Thats interesting, i was at an event and my head connected with something and I spent a few days in the hospital. Noone new what happened to me, but three of my skydiving friends who were at this event hunted me down some how and visited.

Now, I had knee surgery last May and yea my friends again same ones, right there. noone else.

so, I say fuck it accept people for who they are, and keep on rolling with the punches.

tell your friend I said to get better soon, season is around the corner for you people up north.
E.

Not exactly the same but, a friend of mine hurt himself landing last week and Sunday i hung out with him at his house instead of going to the dz (i can't jump right now either) It was cool, we watched some college basketball, got some good mexican food for lunch, and just hung out all afternoon.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

ha, this thread is kinda ironic John.I just took my fellow skydiver to the ER on sunday, I have never been to the hospital for myself for ANYTHING, so taking someone else to the emergency room was something I've never experienced. There wasn't a whole lot I could do for him, cept hold his head or hand, drive to and from the ER,etc. At home, I tried my best to do what I could, but there is only so much you can do to ease the suffering of someone who broke their heel on landing...B|[:/]:(.

I actually felt blessed that I was able to take care of someone, I really enjoyed it and would hope if I ever got injured, that my skybuddies would take care of me as well.:)We should all be thankful, for our health, being able to walk with our legs, etc. It's so simple, yet we often fail to be thankful for our bodies working properly. I am just thankful this skydiver didn't get injured worse because the way he sounded when he landed, so I heard, was pretty bad...B|

That being said John, I think you will find a lot of people in this sport who will take care of each other, I just personally hope I never have to find out how much they really care about ME if I get injured;) ( hopefully I will see the genuiness of our friendship before/regardless of any injury):)
edit to add: whoops!! I shoulda read the poll before I got on my little soap box:$...to answer your question, I put visit, but would try to do everything I could to make sure the quality of the injured friend's life was better, despite the pain and suffering. Meaning, taking care of mail, garbage, errands, etc, if you live near enough by them.:)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I have a serious aversion to hospitals. I have spent months sleeping in a room with a family member only to watch them die due to the negligence of the doctors.

I personally have no issue with anyone not wanting to go to personally visit. Besides, some people have hard time dealing seeing someone who is sick or injured. We all have our issues and I am far from perfect. In my opinion, a call is the very least one should do.

I will be visiting him today.

Let's not have any flaming here....

Please post your opinions but, let us not be down on someone because of their choice.

Thanks

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

I have a serious aversion to hospitals. I have spent months sleeping in a room with a family member only to watch them die due to the negligence of the doctors.

I can understand completely. I hate hospitals. I have had a similar experience and it has left my view of hospitals and doctors a bit jaded. Just walking up to a hospital is enough to cause a severe wave of nausea to hit me.

However, when someone I know and love is there, I find a bush or bathroom, puke, and then go see them. You have to put yourself aside for a moment and think of them. No, I don't want to be there feeling sick as hell but I know how good it feels to have someone come see you when you're down.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

i'm not flaming any one, but seriously, get over it..

I dont know about you, but i define my ‘friends’ by who is there when it counts, not who is there when its convenient…

there isnt much i WONT do for my friends, even if its something I don’t like to do, dont enjoy, or even cant stand to do normally… that’s what friendship is (to me). I suppose everyone has their own definition, but if you aren’t willing to walk into a building to say hi to someone and brighten their otherwise dismal day, (you think YOU dont like hospitals?? he cant leave atm) who cant walk out to say hi to you........

look up... not to many people disagreeing..
YMMV

just saw your edit GOOD!!! He'll thank you for it i'm sure..

i don't think it's right for people to try and force you to go to the hospital if you don't want to. every one has the right to make his or her own decisions about something such as this. forcing one's own agenda onto someone else then trying to make them feel like shit for it is not too cool - that's being judgemental.

just because i feel it's right to give to charity or to help an old person across the street doesn't mean i should try and hold someone else to those standards. this falls along the same lines as giving. why do people give? is it so everyone else can see that they're doing it or are they doing it because they truly care? same sorta stuff.

i'm really surprised at some of the responses, but then again, we're all different now, aren't we?

fwiw, if you go to the hospital because you were "shamed" into it, then maybe you're going for the wrong reasons. go because you wanna go, not because you're pressured.

arlo

First off - Why's he in the hospital with a broken ankle? Isn't that usually a treat-and-release kind of injury?

Second - I always go visit my friends in the hospital, whether they arrived via lifeflight or I drive them there myself. Being injured and in the hospital sucks. Having a friend there to hang out with, tease you for whatever you did to get there, etc...well, it takes the edge off.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

as do i...but i don't think anyone should pressure anyone else into doing it if they don't want to. i've spent bunches of time in the hospital - none due to my own incapacitation - and i'm sure there will be much more time spent there. anyone that knows anything about me knows that. but i do it because i think it's the right thing for ME to do. i'll not impose that on anyone else nor will i try to make them feel like they're a bad person if they choose not to. i can't imagine someone telling me i HAVE to go do something like that. :S

arlo

Last year I was in a hospital with a serious injury. It was SO great to see everybody that came and visited me. It was also great to get phone calls, flowers, packages, etc... Just anything to say you remember and feel for them. It's just good to have people be there for you. If you can't make yourself go to the hospital, why not send a package. I know I was bored, so some people sent me books, and fun activities. it really helped.

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

First off - Why's he in the hospital with a broken ankle? Isn't that usually a treat-and-release kind of injury?

I was in the hospital for three days with my broken ankle, so it is possible for a broken ankle to require a hospital stay. I did mess it up pretty badly though and had to have one surgery to put it back together and the next day I couldn't feel my foot so they did another surgery to reconnect my nerves.

I was only in the hospital for 3 days, but I had several people from the dropzone come visit me, as well as other friends and family and the ones who were unable to visit me called and checked up on me. I was very grateful for that. It kept my spirits up.

I even got sent a get well basket from my coworkers. I was really surprised by that!
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

A quick rant~

I've been 'in the shop for repairs'
more times than I care to remember...

Never mind the gifts...they're not important.

It's the outside contact that people miss and need.

Yeah...everyone is busy, and things do tend
to come up...but a phone call if not a visit
really goes a long way to making someone
feel better.

I was in once for 2 months with a broken back,
one visit I had meant a lot, ...a guy that was
a casual friend took the time to drive across
town for a visit...he walked in with a
rubber chicken that he hung on the IV stand...
"figured ya had enough flowers and candy"

Told me a lot about the guy...B|

I hadn't heard from my "close" friends at all.

I've always tried ever since that, to call or
visit even 'casual' friends in the hospital.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Go visit the guy! I spent four days in hospital when i broke my leg and apart from the Pethedine and other pain drugs, visits from friends were the highlight of my day!

To put it more in perspective, i also hate hospitals but recently a friend of mine ended up in a coma and then spent a few days in ICU (not skydiving related) and i bit the bullet and went to visit.
When he was unconscious and breathing on a respirator we were there by his bedside. It was really ugly but that's what friends do.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky