txhoss

Rig stand

I have seen several rig stands and I am thinking about making one now that I have two rigs. I am wondering:
A: Does anyone have any pictures of thiers that I can model mine off of?
B: Is there any problems that arise from the rig being hung up consistently as far as stress that should not be placed on the rig for those prolonged periods of time?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Have Rig will travel ...

Put on a heavy duty hanger, fasten the chest strap and hang it in the closet.

Or head to the local home improvement store and by a bunch of L's T's, encaps and galvanized pipe. I might put socks over the pipe where the rig hangs.

But two racks are going to take up more room than two gear bags stacked on each other. Plus with the rack you'll still need the gear bag for Jumpsuit, helmet, etc, etc.

Of course you can do the pipe thing and going up and hanging from a pipe flange screwed to a joist.

Just never found it worth the effort with usually 3 or 4 current rigs. I actually got a metal cabinent from Sam's club with shelves and keep them in there.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I don't remember that specifically. It may have been back when some of the rigs didn't have hard continuous housings. But with hard housings it's hard to imagine an issue. That metal hose should be okay.

I do seem to have a general aversion to hanging up rigs but others have done it for many years. Not sure why I have the aversion. Maybe I'm just cheap.;) We'll I AM cheap but maybe that's the reason.:P

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have two of the paragear crosswise racks and they work very well, look good, and leave a very small footprint.

I too investigated building them and said the heck with it. I'm glad I bought these and have seen no problems with my rigs.

I think the problem with small radius hangers is that it could damage hard cable housings in the risers. While I'm not 100% convinced on that point I do feel that it might deform the risers slightly if you hang your rig like that for an extended length of time. A piece of 2.5" black ABS solves that problem.

-Michael

Here's the rig racks I built for one of my dz's. They're much bigger than what you're after but it may give you some ideas. I was told to build them heavy duty, to make sure they would last forever, he never told me to do that again. The frame is 2" square tube, the rods are 3/4 solid roundstock, the flat stock under the rods are 1/4x1 1/4. I drilled the holes for the rods all the way through the frame so I could weld from both sides. They are very sturdy, I weighed 220 lbs, and I could jump up and down on them. That's 2 1/2 inch PVC I slipped over the rods after they were painted. I filled the pipes with expanding foam. It's important to fill from the wall side first and let that dry before you fill the rest, it won't dry right if you don't do that. After the foam dries, cut the excess foam off and put caps on the end.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Im using a scuba hanger to hang gear, the bar is wide enough not to to put any dirty bends in stuff and the ends are flipped up so nothing falls off

this is a pic of the same hanger i use
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Here's the rig racks I built for one of my dz's. They're much bigger than what you're after but it may give you some ideas. I was told to build them heavy duty, to make sure they would last forever, he never told me to do that again. The frame is 2" square tube, the rods are 3/4 solid roundstock, the flat stock under the rods are 1/4x1 1/4. I drilled the holes for the rods all the way through the frame so I could weld from both sides. They are very sturdy, I weighed 220 lbs, and I could jump up and down on them. That's 2 1/2 inch PVC I slipped over the rods after they were painted. I filled the pipes with expanding foam. It's important to fill from the wall side first and let that dry before you fill the rest, it won't dry right if you don't do that. After the foam dries, cut the excess foam off and put caps on the end.

That is an awesome piece of work. Thanks.

Have Rig will travel ...

Personally I don't like the idea to hang up a rig for a long time when it's equiped with metal anti twist chanel in the risers. Those chanels are made with the same material that classical rip cord housing and are telescopic telephone type tubing. When you hang up such a rig, you have for weeks or months a permanent weight of 20-25 LBS applied to both metal chanels. As somebody said, if your "hook" have a large radius (3") which makes 6" diameter, I guess that would be OK.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

One airport I visit had an interesting hanger system for emergency rigs, though they should work fine for sport rigs too...

They had mounted an iron pipe (with pipe base fittings, to wall studs) similar to a hanger pole in a cloths closet...

Before hanging the pole they had threaded onto it several rig hangers (see attachment) made of 3/4" plywood and heavily varnished. (You wouldn't necessarily need the stylized cross bar that makes it look like an anchor.)

Worked VERY well, and they also had a place to hang up jump/flight suits and jackets on normal hangers next to their rigs.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...