Deuce

A guy very much like me died.

I went to his funeral just a little while ago. Born less than a month earlier than me, wife, two kids, same school, same religion, same ethics.

Pancreatic cancer. One year. Start to finish.

Physically, could have been my brother. Mixed Irish genes, hazel eyes, cocky swagger. Confident husband and father. A really good guy. Scoutmaster. We went to the Brownie father-daughter dances together.

He knew he was dying, but kept a very masculine, positive front. I am not that masculine, usually. He was.

His name was Brian Conway.

He invited me to help him with Boy Scout campouts, but I never was able to find the time. We both talked about how I would like it, how it was different from the girl stuff I am involved with. I would have.

I wish I had, but there wasn't the time, and I don't feel bad about that.

My friends, you get old very, very fast. When and if you ever have children, your lives go into hyperdrive. FOOM! and you are on the PTA!

As skydivers, we tend to be a little more ready to meet our maker. I am. My sport is dangerous, and may kill me, but I need that challenge, that's how God made me, and I hope I can meet it. I expect that I will die drowning in a puddle.

If I don't, open cans of beer during the eulogy. Everybody is invited to the grave site after the calisthenics of a Catholic mass. And please have a keg at the wake.

And have a big wake. One where the cops get called.

And wave my old badge at them.

:)
Me and Brian will laugh at that. And thank you.

Sorry to hear that man. It is hard to lose friends especially anytime you feel it could have been you in their shoes just as easily as it was them. :(:|

I would be more than happy to get arrested at your wake as well. A friend will stay until he hears the sirens, but a great friend will stay and get arrested.

Greenie in training.

live fast and die hard my friend. You are a good man, you have been my friend from thousands of miles away and given me advise when I needed it and told me I was wrong when I was. You have a true sense of fair play and a genuine concern for those around you. I as well as many others are glad we have had the chance to get to know you. I'd be happy to get arrested at your wake, and Ill hand them my old badge right next to yours.

I reget your loss, not because hes gone but because you are troubled by it. He and his family will be in my prayers.

That sucks bro. I keep chasing death myself......hopefully I won't catch him for a LONG time to come. But if I do....I hope it's doing something worthwhile. I want my friends to get drunk, break some stuff, have a great time, and then do an ash dive for me. That would be too cool!

Sorry you lost a friend!

live fast and die hard my friend. You are a good man, you have been my friend from thousands of miles away and give me advise when I needed it and told me I was wrong when I was. You have a true sense of fair play and a genuine concern for those around you. I as well as many others are glad we have had the chance to get to know you. I'd be happy to get arrested at your wake, and Ill hand them my old badge right next to yours.

I reget your loss, not because hes gone but because you are troubled by it. He and his family will be in my prayers.

And the tears finally come.

Thanks Chuck. Very well said.

:)

Hey John, heart felt condolences. I lost a good friend in high school born on the same day as me. I feel for you. I jump at Hollister, but I'll be heading to Byron soon. I'd like to meet you.

I'll be hoisting one tonite in Brian's honor. And all you out there, hug the ones you love.

Sean
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

You already know I'd be drinking, getting disorderly and humping people's legs at your wake. My only regret would be that you'd be missing one hell of a party.

But you wouldn't really be missing it, would you? Somehow I think you'd be there rooting us all on.

Keep living life the way you do, JP - for Brian and for all those we've known and loved whose time here has ended.

Love ya.

I'd be right there with you Lisa. You on one leg and me on the other.

JP, after all the health issues I've had to deal with, I found I was so at peace with myself, and ready to die if it was my time. My goal was to get both boys done with High School. One down, one to go:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

So sorry to hear about your loss. It really sucks when it hits close to home. Last year we had 3 friends die, two of cancer, one of a heart attack. All our age. One was kind of expected, but the other two were not. Since I am a skydiver and my husband is not, people sometimes ask him if he is worried about his wife engaging in a dangerous sport and he tells them "yes, of course I'm worried, but it's what she loves and if she dies doing it at least I'll know she died doing what she loved". We've already decided that when we die we will be cremated and our ashes mixed together and distributed on an ash dive over a golf course. With a huge wake to follow (yes, we are irish too). Sorry, sort of off the track. Just know you are not alone, and I will pray for your friend.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I don't fear it either, Mare-bear.

It's just so capricious. My police and military friends do crazy shit that just sometimes kills them in crazy ways.

When we die young, that's how it's supposed to be.

A good guy, who took care of himself and his family is not supposed to get snarfed up like this. He's not the first of my aquaintance, Jack Palmer was. A guy who thought the stuff he was cleaning his glasses with was giving him headaches, but it turned out he had brain cancer.

I know you understand this Mary, thanks for sharing.

hey JP,
Unfortunately in my life I could have made posts like this WAY TOO Often.
Its never easy to deal with the Loss but it kinda makes you think about how precious life is.

take that moment and make it last for a lifetime and you will be blessed.
My photos

My Videos

Your pain is felt by all of us here. It is so very difficult to lose a friend. I've seen a few friends and family members battle cancer, one particularly hard was my young friend with none of the known risks for breast cancer, but lost her battle at a way to young age. It's so very sad and my heart goes out to you. Hugs.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Hey JP my friend,

Since I lost one of my closest friends just over a month ago suddenly at the age of 39, I know what you're feeling!

Please know that my prayers are with you, the soul of your friend and his loved ones.

If you want to talk, just let me know.

Hang in there buddy,
Chris