WrongWay

Skydiver Species List (funny)

The Big Fish in a Little Pond
They are the big cheese at their small DZs...known at their DZ for being hot shit "great" flyers and are used to being looked up to by the newbies at their DZ. They generally think that they've already been there and done that and like thinking that they are special. They usually are more than a little proud, almost arrogant, about their mediocre skills, too. That is, until they get to a large DZ with amazing, world-class flyers. Then, they realize that they have so much more to learn, and their egos (hopefully) deflate back to normal. Sometimes, they even get coaching with the world class flyers in hopes that they can party with, network with and/or befriend them and (hopefully, again) become better flyers, as well. The ones that can take the criticism without worrying about possible embarrassment to their egos, do much better than those that think that they are fine flying as they do. (Tunnel sessions and sky videos don't lie.)

It seems like many people fitting that description come to Perris and Elsinore. It's not a bad thing, just an interesting observation.

I was at an indoor range, and the guy a lane or two over was wearing a shirt that said "A&F Freefall Festival".

Hey, I have that shirt!! B| I wore it out to the dz one day and a bunch of people asked me "Does A&F really hold a freefall festival? Where is it?". :D:D:D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

ROFL.

I was at an indoor range, and the guy a lane or two over was wearing a shirt that said "A&F Freefall Festival". I was wearing my chicks rock boogie shirt. When I left to get more targets from the front desk, the guy was out there and asked me "you skydive?" I nodded. He started telling me stories of jumping from "48,000 Feet!" and that he had 5000 jumps and about his black parachute. me: "oh. what kind? one of those round ones?" him: "yeah. those!". This guy was 20 something years old. I just asked "oh... are you a USPA member?" him: "huh?" me:"have a nice day." and put my ear protection back on.

You mean you weren't impressed?! I've met a few people like that and I always have to wonder "Do they believe themselves?" 'cause no one else does. Sounds like a typical gun store Rambo trying to impress a "chick." He's probably seen one to many Stallone movies.:D:D

That one can be amusing in both directions. ;)

Well, definitely, but the Little Fish in Big Ponds are called NEWBIES! Everyone has been there. Thankfully, newbie insecurities and inexperience can usually be dealt with by flying more and gaining experience. :)

I was referring to a small percentage of big DZ jumpers who come to small DZ's expecting to find a bunch of hicks and to be treated like a skygod. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was referring to a small percentage of big DZ jumpers who come to small DZ's expecting to find a bunch of hicks and to be treated like a skygod. ;)

Ah, I understand. That sounds so HORRIBLE, and a little like maybe one "skygod" that I know of (NOT anyone at Elsinore). I haven't run into too many asshole "skygods" at all. (Thank God!!!!) As a matter of fact, I have felt that the opposite is true.

The best skydivers seem to be the ones who have nothing to prove and are not trying to "show off", and the ones who are mediocre are the ones who have the attitudes. My first DZ was a small DZ, and I honestly felt that there can be more down-to-earth attitudes at the larger DZs that I jump at now. Elsinore, in particular, is like family. I feel similar about Perris. :)

ROFL.

I was at an indoor range, and the guy a lane or two over was wearing a shirt that said "A&F Freefall Festival". I was wearing my chicks rock boogie shirt. When I left to get more targets from the front desk, the guy was out there and asked me "you skydive?" I nodded. He started telling me stories of jumping from "48,000 Feet!" and that he had 5000 jumps and about his black parachute. me: "oh. what kind? one of those round ones?" him: "yeah. those!". This guy was 20 something years old. I just asked "oh... are you a USPA member?" him: "huh?" me:"have a nice day." and put my ear protection back on.

Respect to this guy!!
He has a lot of nerves!! He knows that you are a Skydiver and still tries to impress you by telling bull shit stories that no one would believe.
Imagine, if he tries to impress girls by telling stories like this maybe 5 times a day and every 20 times a girl falls for it, he gets lucky every 4 days!!!
Not bad!!!
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Hey, this is similar to an article written a few years back: Skydiving Mag...issue #231
by: Austin Scott Collins...titled: "Who are these people?"

..skydivers mostly appear to come in 4 basic varieties. They are the Dreamers, the Punks, the Escapists, and the Freaks....one group deliberately left out is the Posers...
The Dreamers: skydiving's starry-eyed idealists, introverts, poets, and philosophers...
Punks: fun-loving party animals. Boisterous, irrepressible, rebellious, and aggressive...
The Escapists are ordinary folks with regular jobs and otherwise normal lives....to get away from which, they skydive..
The Freaks engage in behavior so off the wall that it turns heads and raises eyebrows...

Skydiver Species List is missing one very important, highly respected, the most cool, and outrageous people in the world, ..........BASE jumpers.

SMiles;)

Nice thread.

"The Dreamer" :
This species is usually found
on the sunset load. The dreamer is home in new or different situations that don't require a lot of thinking or planning.This species is often found on exotic aircraft, jumping with newbies, or trying to resemble a clown in the sky.
Rarely seen at a mock up, or wearing a camera helmet. This species seems to only be in it for the moment.
A high pull and solo are part their weekend diet, but raft dives,tracking dives, freefly zoo dives and tandem geeking are their 4 major food groups. Often says the words : Dude, cool, incredible, let's do it.

"Here!" :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

The Mule
Can be identified by the tandem rig constantly being worn. Always in close company to a soon to be ex-whuffo, mules can be seen crowding the front of twin otters, skyvans, caravans, king airs and the occasional turbo porter. A sub species of mule can be found in the rear of cessna 182's. Differing from the common mule in the amount of abuse taken by the solo mules knees.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Hey quart.,
That's, "Are you a TURTLE?? You bet your swet ass I am!!!!"

Cardinal Puff is another story involving lots of beer!!! Once a Cardinal always a Cardinal. Cardinal Puff is a game of observation and concentrration involving a "commercial" glass of beer. There are 3 main games, 1 Cardinal 2 Supreme Cardinal and 3 Pope. Pope is the Supreme Cardinal Ritual done with a 64 oz. Pitcher of beer and there is a 10 minute time limit on doing the game, and the Pope rating must be renewed every year during the month of January!!!!(all other Cardinal games, "once a Cardinal always a cardinal!) The big deal in any Cardinal game is,"Don't fuck up!" otherwise someone in attendance will say "drink up" at which time you must hang the glass of beer on your lower lip and sip till gone. If anyone remember's the daze of Frank Carpenter's Rumbleseat Tavern in Hermosa Beach Sky Diving movies on Tue (or was it wed.) nights and is anybody outthere an "Iron Clad Cardinal??" If so, add to the fray!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

How could you forget?

The Videot This group has helmets with both video and still cameras mounted on them.. sometimes even fill flashes. They carry around large cases with all their hi-tech gadgets in them and can usually be caught either interviewing tandems getting ready to make their first jump or busily hurrying around getting ready for the next load. When standing in a group, they are usually inspecting or tinkering with each other's helmets. They often sit in the back of the plane and help with spotting and group separation. Be careful of getting cornered by one of these or they may talk to you for hours about ef stops and wide angle lenses, megapixels and other things from their own language.
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

And,maybe teach you"kids" how to play "Cardinal Puff"

Are you a Cardinal?

You bet your sweet ass I am :P

Wrong answer..

Q: Are you a Cardinal?

A: Once a Cardinal always a Cardinal! :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The Cessna DZ Jumper at a Boogie-

Usually observed at large DZs, caught staring in awe at turbines. Also found talking to organizers asking about "Big Ways", which to them is anything over 4 people. Favorite plane is "anything with a tailgate". During freefall this species is observed trying to track off early, as "freefall normally doesn't last this long at my DZ"

MB 3528, RB 1182

During freefall this species is observed trying to track off early, as "freefall normally doesn't last this long at my DZ"

:D I've mostly seen cessna jumpers track off later because, "We're used to making the most of our freefall time!"
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I've mostly seen cessna jumpers track off later because, "We're used to making the most of our freefall time!"

Yep. I don't bat an eye pulling at 2500 from all my time spend at a cessna dz.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

The Mule

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hey!
I resemble that remark!

Has anyone defined Riggers?
You know ... that introverted species seen wandering around DZs with more pull-up cords than anyone can count, teasing skydivers about untwisting their brake lines.
... a ready source of closing loops ...
After the sunset load - and when regular skydivers can be seen guzzling beer - riggers hide in back lofts, huddling over half-packed reserves mumbling to themselves and counting tools.
Every second winter they migrate to Jacksonville or Reno or some other PIA Sym...? to avidly discuss stitches per inch, or the latest shiny gadget the goes PING!

How about Pack Bitches?

Frank Carpenters and Willie's rumble seat tavern were my home away from home from 1963-till? Remember 3 finger Bert the bartender? Carl Banish (sp?) was often there. I was a cardinal and "Bat man Cardinal" I'm at a loss but I think it was Wendays they had movies. The pope pit was predominate in January. Were you around for the Hermosa Beach exibition water jump? What wild times.

And,maybe teach you"kids" how to play "Cardinal Puff"

Are you a Cardinal?

You bet your sweet ass I am :P

Wrong answer..

Q: Are you a Cardinal?

A: Once a Cardinal always a Cardinal! :ph34r:

Yeah.....But are you a Turtle? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~