Roadrunner77

cyprus question

where do i need to send my cyprus for its tune-up. I cant find a address to send it in. and is there any other pertient information i should know or do i just throw it in a box and send it off.. a phone number to the company would also be helpful. I like to talk to the people before i give them $1000+ piece of hardware ;) also the mfd is 6/00. thx in adv

I let my rigger take care of all that stuff. :)

Why. As a rigger, I don't think that is a good recommendation. Know your gear, this is not the transmission of a car... It is simpler, yet more important for your survival.

Further - if you do all the shipping yourself, you are in control - especially when the rigger is a busy full time guy who might have multiple shipments a week and consolidates...

This seems like as good a place as any to ask a different question about the cypres. I have tried the search function to no avail and have been left wondering, after the 12 year life of the cypres, will it still power on, self test, and possibly function when needed? I know the device components are designed to last 12 years and can possibly degrade over time causing them to fail. I also know that if your rig is equipped with an aad it must me maintained according to manufacturer specifications to be FAA approved. All that aside, is it likely one will continue to work after the 12 year life?

I ask out of my own curiosity and am in no way advocating the use of an outdated AAD used outside manufacturer recommendations as the premature deployment of a reserve can be a serious malfunction that can lead to injury or death.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

... after the 12 year life of the cypres, will it still power on, self test, and possibly function when needed? ... All that aside, is it likely one will continue to work after the 12 year life?...

Turn on? sure
Self-test? sure
Function when needed? Probably. More likely than not.
The pyro in the cutter may degrade over time. The capacitors that activate the cutter do degrade over time. The electronics may fail. But probably not at 12yrs 4months.

But I need better than probably to be comfortable jumping.

And yes, I know it's not a guarantee.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Capacitors can be tested, and cutters can be replaced a lot less expensively than entire units.

There really is no reason other than greed for Airtec to end-of-life the Cypres.

Thank gods we've got alternatives!

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>Capacitors can be tested . . .

Yes, they can, but the results aren't all that useful. A capacitor that tests within tolerance may be out of tolerance in a month. A FLASH memory that passes a checksum may fail in a month. The cells have a limited charge retention time. A die connection that has seen 1200 thermal cycles may test out OK and go high resistance on the next thermal cycle.

>There really is no reason other than greed for Airtec to end-of-life
>the Cypres.

Incorrect. Liability is another very strong reason. If a Cypres fails due to component aging, and it came back from Airtec 18 months previously with a clean bill of health, the resulting lawsuit could well put them out of business.

I guess you could call that greed, but it's a stretch.

I don't know enough about how capacitor testing works to comment on that, so I will defer to you there. But presumably this is something done by the self-test when it powers on?

A FLASH memory that passes a checksum may fail in a month.

This is not a big deal. Flash doesn't fail all at once, and it is completely standard for modern flash parts (or software) to do wear leveling and bad block removal. Even without that, if the checksum fails, it can just refuse to turn on. There is really no reason for something like the Cypres to execute out of flash (and many good reasons for it not to).

>There really is no reason other than greed for Airtec to end-of-life
>the Cypres.

Incorrect. Liability is another very strong reason.

Here I agree with you. But the concept of companies doing something out of "greed" is sort of a naive thought anyway.

> But presumably this is something done by the self-test when it powers on?

Nope. A self-test can generally tell if a capacitor is there, but not that it is no longer within spec for ESR and capacitance over temperature.

>This is not a big deal. Flash doesn't fail all at once, and it is completely
>standard for modern flash parts (or software) to do wear leveling and bad
>block removal.

I'm actually talking about data retention over time. FLASH used to last about 10 years. Now most parts will give you 40.

>Even without that, if the checksum fails, it can just refuse
>to turn on.

Right. Then it starts running, it has a cell fail, the code goes into the weeds and (best case) it shuts down or (worst case) it fires in the door.

I'm actually talking about data retention over time. FLASH used to last about 10 years. Now most parts will give you 40.

Just FYI, "flash" isn't an acronym.

>Even without that, if the checksum fails, it can just refuse
>to turn on.

Right. Then it starts running, it has a cell fail, the code goes into the weeds and (best case) it shuts down or (worst case) it fires in the door.

Like I said, it shouldn't actually be running from flash, for a variety of reasons.

All good information. Thanks.

For the record, I haven't had my cypres for very long as I just started jumping last year. I bought the cypres because when I was a kid growing up with two skydiving parents it was the only AAD (I believe AOD then) that I ever heard of. Looking at their reputation I couldn't ignore the history of reliability.

I know that there are others out there that last longer and probably work just as well, but I felt I could trust Cypres to function right and I figured the 1350 every 12 years plus maintenance costs would be worth every penny if it saved my life even once. I also can't say I disagree with their maintenance program and unit retirement timeline if it is what they feel is actually necessary to ensure none of the units fail to fire when they should. I don't know the facts and I guess I just have to trust that that is the reason for the scheduled maintenance.

I hesitate to trust a company that says theirs will last longer with no required maintenance on certain deadlines because as has been stated here, the parts are likely to fail after some time and it seems to me that if a company were to be greedy, rather than retire the unit after 12 years to ensure it works, they would simply slap on a 20 year time line on the same materials to sell more of them while increasing the likelihood it will fail at some point during it's "useful" life. Again I don't know the facts and this is all supposition. Each person has to make that decision for themselves and I chose Cypres.

Thanks for the responses. Now I have a better idea of the "why".
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

The pyro in the cutter may degrade over time. The capacitors that activate the cutter do degrade over time. The electronics may fail. But probably not at 12yrs 4months.

During thier seminar at PIA 2009, Airtec stated that their pyrotechnic cutters become unreliable after 15 years.

They also illustrated numerous fatigue cracks in Cypres circuit boards caused by repeated heating and cooling cycles.

I found Airtec Cypress website fairly good, you fill out form online, submit and send form w/ your unit. You can check online when its recieved, and ETA for delivery. Mine had 8yr + new batt. The 12 year period does seem short however, like the mod says I am sure that its a function of liability. But ultimately its the builders job to determine service life of a product. Would be cool to see if anyone could gather data on activation of old units, test of course.