jose

Scion Xb owners.........

So, are there any out there? This car by Toyota is priced right and consumer reports has good things to say about it......but I would like to hear if from an owner. I'm looking for a car based suv that gets really good mileage so I can give the hybrid technology some more years to tweak things even better. My Landrover is killing me with mileage. I don't plan on having the Scion for more than 4 or so years..... Anyone?

I HATE THAT CAR. THEY ARE SO STUPID LOOKING

Not to mention, aren't they like, shamelessly being marketed directly to "homey"? I mean, it's all over the ads that this is almost a "race-specific" vehicle! >:(

They come already set up with those thumping bass speakers that make you feel really uncomfortable to be at a stoplight anywhere near them...

If I were black, I'd be freakin' insulted by those cars.

AND, yes, they are quite "fugly."

Not to mention, that every other car is being given 240+ HP these days, and those things are like getting 110 or something pathetic.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Not to mention, that every other car is being given 240+ HP these days, and those things are like getting 110 or something pathetic

I'll admit that the looks of the thing can only be appreciated by someone who lusts after being a third-world bus driver, but the horsepower is adequate for safe driving.

If that's what you want, then this is a hugely practical vehicle. I was in one at the auto show in Houston; you can fit a ton of stuff into it, and it's quite comfortable (again, remembering what it is to begin with). However, it doesn't come with side-impact air bags, so the Car Talk guys didn't like it.

It'll get good gas mileage. You'll have more money to skydive. And you can take the back seat out and sleep in it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just bought a Honda Element. Yes,,I know it looks like a toaster, but who cares. Its an excellent DZ/Skydiver Mobile.You can sleep in it,store tons of stuff,rides great,killer stereo,good gas mileage. The best part is I've got 20,000.00 left over for fun stuff.B|
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

I guess I'm the only one here that thinks the Scion Xb is a neat little van. I think it looks pretty good and would be hugely practical.

No your not the only one. I was actually very very close to buying one awhile back. The only thing I was a bit skeptical about was it's base HP at 110 or less. It's the 1.6 litre 4 cylinder engine. Would be awesome gas mileage. I was more worried about driving in Houston traffic where to merge into traffic you close your eyes and punch the gas pedal.

When I test drove it the automatic was a bit sluggish, the 5spd had a bit more gettup and go because you decided when to shift. I would have burned up the clutch and probably blown the itty bitty engine in about 2 months.

I am now seriously thinking about a new "smaller" vehicle. My Chevy p/u is kickin my ass with fuel costs. I'm leaning towards the Toyota Matrix or a Mazda m3 wagon. Both get really good mileage and have some utility to them, being as their both hatchbacks.

They come already set up with those thumping bass speakers that make you feel really uncomfortable to be at a stoplight anywhere near them...

No they don't. And their being marketed to the "highschool - college" crowd not the "homeys" color of skin has nothing to do with their marketing strategy. I've looked into them alot and I'm a 38yo white man. You can however totaly option them out with the speakers, stereo, rims, and all kinds of packages. Just adds to the price. The one I was leaning towards and didn't buy was almost $25k .. :o but it was pretty much tricked out. For a base model you can normally find them $16k or less.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I bought one a year ago...despite all the varied opinions about it, who really cares what anyone else thinks of your car?! I sold my 3series BMW to get it. I had a fancy car that had shit for gas mileage & was outrageously expensive to maintain. My Scion was $15K out the door, bought it in about 1 hour and have been happy for a year i've owned it! it gets great gas mileage (i drive about 50 mi a day to and from work) and of course to the DZ. I can get it dirty, scratched, full of junk & don't have to worry about it.
For me, I just wanted a car that I didnt have to worry about (repairs, mileage, etc...) Some people like it, some people hate it, but it's a really fun car to drive. Go test drive one & see how you feel about it. It's only a CAR, people!! And i'm not in high school, nor a "homey" nor anything else but a poor skydiver :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Thats my 2 cents!!

I, too, almost bought one. and now thank myself for not buying it.
I ended up with a pontiac Vibe. Very roomy, very comfortable for long drives to the DZ, 36MPG, and I believe it just looks better.

IMHO. happy shopping.:)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

you know what they say about cars with tiny wheels;):D

I do kinda like the coupe scion has, but yes they are totally underpowered @140-60ish hp depending on engine.. mixed feelings about the xb. part clown car part lowered suv style

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

you know what they say about cars with tiny wheels;):D

I do kinda like the coupe scion has, but yes they are totally underpowered @140-60ish hp depending on engine.. mixed feelings about the xb. part clown car part lowered suv style

As in coupe you're talking about the tC not the xA. If it's the tC there is a package you can buy from TRD that the factory bolts a supercharger to it cranking the HPs to 210. In a car that weighs less then my fuel tank filled up. 210 HP is going to make that little car scoot. :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

My buddy and I pulled into a Scion stealership looking at them when they first came out. A young (early 20 something) sales kid came out with all his pitches. My buddy asked him "Do you own one of these?" he said no then my buddy replies "Good because if you did I would be kicking your ass right now." :D:D The expression on his face was priceless. He went back inside and we continued to stroll around.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

210 HP is going to make that little car scoot

yeah i'd imagine.:S. surprisingly that car is about 2920-3000lbs. My car is 3200-3300.

I did see a show where they overhauled it to ~310hp.. of course they replaced most everthing so it wouldn't fail. How'd ya like the clutch to fail on that?

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

My buddy and I pulled into a Scion stealership looking at them when they first came out. A young (early 20 something) sales kid came out with all his pitches. My buddy asked him "Do you own one of these?" he said no then my buddy replies "Good because if you did I would be kicking your ass right now." :D:D The expression on his face was priceless. He went back inside and we continued to stroll around.

:D:D:D:D
I might have said something similar. I take my Toyota vehicles (Tundra P/U and MR-2 Spyder) to the Toyota dealership for service, and they have these Scions on the lot. The fugliest cars I have ever seen. I wouldn't be caught dead in one of them. Yeah, they might have practical purposes with lots of storage room and efficient gas, but they simply could have had a much better design on it... Geesh... [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

but yes they are totally underpowered @140-60ish hp depending on engine..

They probably don't swoop worth a shit, either. And they don't make waffles, or tow your motorcycle.

They're not made to have a lot of get-up-and-go. They're not made to drag trailers. They're way more powerful than the traditional VW van, which is, supposedly, the epitome of cool. I safely drove a car with 85 horsepower for 2 1/2 years. Then when it died, I drove its brother for another year and a half. Never once did I get run over by an out-of-control vehicle that I couldn't avoid because of the lack of power.

140 hp is not underpowered. 110 is not underpowered. 85 is barely underpowered, but it was OK. If you drive a car like that, you understand what it does and drive more conservatively.

My next car will probably be smaller than my current one. Fortunately, I'm a 50-year-old woman, so no one will have to kick my ass for being uncool.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

hey're way more powerful than the traditional VW van, which is, supposedly, the epitome of cool.

Yes, the aircooled Type2s are definately cool. Especially the 21-window varients.

Nevermind that you can have a Type2 with over 200hp with just a little know how and mechanical ability to build an engine.

That's the niche I see these Scion vans, that same sort of person. A lot of people thought those VW Type2s were really damned ugly as well. It's all about perspective.

Look on the bright side, they're definately not as bad looking at an Aztec, the Element or the Vibe.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am now seriously thinking about a new "smaller" vehicle. My Chevy p/u is kickin my ass with fuel costs. I'm leaning towards the Toyota Matrix or a Mazda m3 wagon. Both get really good mileage and have some utility to them, being as their both hatchbacks

I was looking at the Mazda 3 & 6 sport wagons when I was in the market for a car since I needed something with the room of an SUV, could support a roof rack, was fun and sporty, and part of the company S-plan (no haggle under invoice). I really liked the 3 and it was super fun to drive, but opted on the 6 sport wagon because I needed more "trunk space" and the luxury features. The car is great over 30 mpg on the highway through the mountains, drove it to CA and only had to fill up a few times, it does have a very large gas tank for a car so when you do have to fill up it can take something like 18 gallons which can hurt the pocket book, but then again I only have to fill up every few weeks.

So I highly recommend the 3 if you don't need the extra space, in my case I have to haul a bunch of adventure racers around which means bikes, rollerblades, rockclimbing stuff, kayaking stuff and in some cases kayaks, camping gear, plus a dog and her stuff, so a big cargo area was a must.

http://www.jumpergirl.com/car.html
Fly it like you stole it!

I have to agree with you, I personally like going fast, very fast...
Crazy fast but this is not the purpose of this vehicle.
The race for horsepower is absolutely crazy, now street bikes roll out of the factory with 180 horses, with more power to weight ratio than anything people would even dream of 15 years ago, and cars are running with over 300 horsepower all over the place. Now we consider a car fast when it breaks 400 horses and people still drive like idiots, with some kind of pathetic endorsement that cost them a few buck and close to no training. This is insane, people have not changed, we still look like shit once we smack into a wall.

I think it looks pretty good

I did not expect that from you.

I know that there is no accounting for taste...but that thing is awful!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am