weegegirl

Mixing Coworkers with Skydivers

The whole idea of this makes me nervous. I had a new employee start yesterday who seams like a total sweetheart. She doesn't know a lot of people from the area and is very (over) anxious to make friends at the office.

She already brought workout clothes with her today, her second day, to follow me over to my gym after work tonight. And she wants to hang out and meet my friends.

Something about this makes me uncomfortable. The people I work with know I skydive and have a bit of a crazy life, but they don't know the 1/2 of it if you ask me. I like it that way.

What should I do?? :S

Be very cautious girl. I see where this is leading to....

Try not to mix personal life with business life...two different things completely. I took a co worker of mine skydiving for his first time not long ago and he loved it. I have invited him out to the bars a few times with my friends and I. But, one thing is that he doesn't need me to help him make friends. He has his own crew. Be careful

yeah - I'd agree with 'Duh here...

...she's sending off a very co-dependent vibe here....next thing you know - she's wanting to hang out all the time...go with you everywhere, sleep with Clay, and then she's spreading your life all over town.

On the one hand, she could very well be friendly, and over-demonstrative - and this is just her way

but I'd be cautious. Go to the gym tonight and see how it goes. If you can work out in peace, and she just wants someone to be there that she knows...cool. No worries If she tries talking to you while you're trying to get your breathing rhythmic in your warm-up 5k....then call it a day and go home.

I might also invite her skydiving, but don't go to any extra efforts to see that she goes (like meeting up before hand, or carpooling). I'd just tell her where to be...and tell her you'll be there all weekend. Then go about your business normally. If she turns up - you're already in your element and she can only observe and take part if she's really social. If not - she'll get bored and go home. Then you can say something like, "sorry about this weekend - when I'm jumping I'm focused on my skills and my packing....blah, blah, blah"

lesson learned![:/]
It's not your responsibility to be her friend...

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Thank you,

Having been the "new guy in town" before, I know it can be lonely and hard.

I've been the new guy a lot and will likely continue to be the new guy (since I'm in the military)... I'm not like this girl seems to be... but if my friend Christine hadn't invited me to a party almost 2 years ago... I wouldn't know 90% of the people I hang out with close to where I live...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

She's actually really cute. But she seams a little too "innocent" in a way

my favorite!... bring her to atlanta!;)

ahh and ya. let brandon meet her. he is 100% correct, she will freak and beg for you to never talk to her again...

Well, one of my closest friends is someone I met at work more than 10 years ago. Where I work right now, no one really hangs out or socializes after work, and I think that's kind of sad. I mean, I have my own life and my own friends, but I don't see the harm in an ocassional beer or trip to the gym.

I think you are making too much of this. Go to the gym with her. What's the harm?

She already brought workout clothes with her today, her second day, to follow me over to my gym after work tonight

hell, she might be gay, and think your hot. maybe you could try somthing new!:D

Hahahahahahaha!! No... I don't think so. And she is really cool.

I guess I'm just a bit shy when I meet new people. Probably why I feel so chlosterphobic about it. She wants to have lunch, go to the gym, meet my friends... and she just started yesterday.

She's from Jordan and has been in the states for about 4 years now. Very very intelligent woman, very sweet, very out going. She's also doing an AWESOME job so far here at work. My best employee after only one day. :)
I think she'll be cool. I just have to get used to her. And I hope she realizes that I'm not a "talker" when I work out... I always listen to loud music. :P

Sweety..............aren't you her boss? Hanging out with people you supervise can be tricky at best. The only time I have ever done that is when it was someone that I had known for years BEFORE I was their boss. Besides.......his wife loved getting drunk with me! :D Seriously.......I'd try to distance myself without being TOO rude. If it gets too tense just tell her flat out. It's not that I don't like you but I am your boss. It wouldn't ethical to have too close a relationship with you outside the office. ;) That gets you out every time. :D

Arh just corrupt her and then infect the rest of them.

But then I am a few stella's to the wind right now so may not be the best person to turn to for advice:S

Clay will have to explain British Stella for me (or wife beater as we like to call it)

Sky Pikey

She's actually really cute. But she seams a little too "innocent" in a way.

I find that the best way to deal with such a person is to strip them of every bit of dignity and leave them as a drug addicted shell. So where do you work? Which gym? Wouldn't be Herndon Worldgate would it?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

One big disadvantage (amongst others) of hanging out with co-workers is that you tend to talk shop when you are hanging out. Friendships at work may end abruptly due to competition.I try not to hang out with co-workers for those two reasons alone.
AS for your new co-worker, she sounds insecure which she tries to cover up with her bubbly personality. Back off before she becomes your shadow.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

She's actually really cute. But she seams a little too "innocent" in a way. I think my friends would scare her. :S

Hey I guess some people would describe me as "too innocent":$ yet I love hanging out with my skydiving friends. Don't write her off just for that. Although it does sound like there may be other reasons to keep some distance.

As far as "mixing coworkers and skydivers". I am in that same boat right now. I am just starting to mix it up a little. I am hoping it all works out ok. So I really don't have any advise for you on that. I am just learning as I go!

Good luck,
Danielle

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller