AggieDave

What if (skydiving what ifs)

Or the ground, and then you could fly into the earth's core (but only if you believed) and fly out the other side and come out in Australia. Bonus! Probably not so good for you Americans - would end up in the Russian steppes or something!

What if there was a machine that would clear the skies above the DZ.

When the first skydiver opens a beer, the skies immediately clear.

True, but the problem is it never works unless I am the one who had the beer, then its to late for me:(

What could possibly go wrong?

What if skydivers wore beacons that air craft were required to have a receiver for so 'near misses' were a thing of the past?

I could make a proximity warning indicator so you could effectively see how far people are above your canopy and behind you?

What if I could combine both in one tiny computer, like the size of a dytter, and it could be mounted on your harness?

I already have two of those. They're called "eyes." :P

Bravo. Best response so far.:)

Geez, fine everyone. I quit.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

What if someone designed a 'rad alt' (radar altimeter) for skydivers, which could give you very accurate height above ground level when either belly or under canopy.

It could have preset bleeps to tell you when your under your hard deck for swoops etc.

How many lives would that save?
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

What if someone designed a 'rad alt' (radar altimeter) for skydivers, which could give you very accurate height above ground level when either belly or under canopy.

It could have preset bleeps to tell you when your under your hard deck for swoops etc.

How many lives would that save?

It already exists for airplanes, called an ILS :):P
and what about a TCAS for canopies ??
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

What if skydivers had to go through the same type of progression that pilots do. You can't just jump any old canopy at any old wingloading whenever you like, you have to become certified for it, and take professional training on it. Like what if there were regulations on canopies, and you had to pass certain tests and take certain classes to fly certain canopies. Like, getting a "Fully Elliptical - Loaded over 2:1" license; instead of just buying one from some guy when you think you're ready?

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

It already exists for airplanes, called an ILS :):P
and what about a TCAS for canopies ??

Not quite, ILS (instrument landing system for the non-geeks) uses localised transmitters to give glide path etc. I'm talking about a self contained Rad Alt that bounces radar from the floor to the radalt and give very accurate readings (+/- 5ft) we use them on helicopters, although they are a lttle big to carry in freefall:S

What if skydivers had to go through the same type of progression that pilots do. You can't just jump any old canopy at any old wingloading whenever you like, you have to become certified for it, and take professional training on it. Like what if there were regulations on canopies, and you had to pass certain tests and take certain classes to fly certain canopies. Like, getting a "Fully Elliptical - Loaded over 2:1" license; instead of just buying one from some guy when you think you're ready?

Thats one of the best ideas I've heard.

It would probably scare as many skydivers away from the sport, but they'd still be alive right?