AggieDave

What if (skydiving what ifs)

what if there were a screening device, like a metal detector you had to pass through before boarding the plane that checked to see if your canopy was okay for your experience level? If not, you couldn't get on the plane.....
Scars remind us that the past is real

It could have preset bleeps to tell you when your under your hard deck for swoops etc.

Neptunes are reasonably accurate and you can setup "swoop beeps" now. To beep at present altitudes to help you setup your swoop. So not quite as hightec and squared away as you are thinking, but its on a similar line of thought.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It could have preset bleeps to tell you when your under your hard deck for swoops etc.

Neptunes are reasonably accurate and you can setup "swoop beeps" now. To beep at present altitudes to help you setup your swoop. So not quite as hightec and squared away as you are thinking, but its on a similar line of thought.

Any altimeter that relies on barometric pressure is boardline inaccurate, you just have to look around on a jumpship and you'll see 5 altis with 500ft difference between highest and lowest.

Radalts are 'very' accurate. (providing they are pointing at the floor:|) A gps altimeter would be equally accurate and I know they are in the pipeline from Neptune. (maybe even in production already)

Imagine you could plan and execute a swoop up at 2k ft and know exactly to within 5ft how much altitude it took?

Anyway, its only a 'what if' I dont have the design skills to make one. I struggle to make the bed.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

What if parachute landing areas were made of acres of soft foam rubber?

Oh sweet mercy would that make the after-sunset activities more fun!!! >:(>:(>:(

Boingy boingy! :D
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Awright my last attempt and don't ANYBODY make fun of it this time...>:(

What if we had some type of system that would disallow a main and reserve from entangling each other ever on a two-out? :| <--I've thought about the requirements for something similar to that. Tough order to fill.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

what if the weatherman could actually predict the weather in advance?:D
we had the prettiest day today--blue skies/sun/no clouds... but wind like you wouldn't believe! i didn't believe it until i got down there... nobody was there:( 10mph-right!!!!>:(>:(>:( maybe tomorrow;)
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

What if there were more women skydivers than men? :|

We'd prolly have bitchier chat on the way up...:ph34r::P;)

But the world would be a better place for us....:)

Dude NOT if you had to share a load with us during certain 'phases' :S:P:(
~Jaye

It's never bitchy at all- girl boogies I have been to! It's usually a blast!!!:)

Uh-huh...but live with the same set of girls for ...oh, two months...then see how things get 'interesting'. :P

I still love all my girlfriends from the sorority house and the Army, but thank God we all don't live together anymore!! :ph34r::ph34r:
~Jaye

>What if we had some type of system that would disallow a main and
>reserve from entangling each other ever on a two-out?

Easy. Add four lines to the canopy, outside the slider, and attach a mesh sleeve to those four lines going all the way up to the canopy - so that once the canopy was open the inside of the lines would be 'protected' by the mesh. Go to two freebags. No more entanglements! But a lot more drag.

>What if we had some type of system that would disallow a main and
>reserve from entangling each other ever on a two-out?

Easy. Add four lines to the canopy, outside the slider, and attach a mesh sleeve to those four lines going all the way up to the canopy - so that once the canopy was open the inside of the lines would be 'protected' by the mesh. Go to two freebags. No more entanglements! But a lot more drag.

...what if the reserve deploys up into the main though? Or the reserve was out first (like PC in tow)? :P I dunno. I can't picture it in my mind. :|

That and find a good way to prevent 2 canopies from downplaning at low altitude...:(
~Jaye

What if...
You'd be rich;)

:(

I love skydiving. Tempering the excitement is the reality that people can get hurt or killed in this sport. I can’t imagine anything potentially more fulfilling, nor a more worthy aim for a life's work, than being part of the parachute industry and making it safer for the people that I have been fortunate to have met in the sport.

What if skydivers had to go through the same type of progression that pilots do. You can't just jump any old canopy at any old wingloading whenever you like, you have to become certified for it, and take professional training on it. Like what if there were regulations on canopies, and you had to pass certain tests and take certain classes to fly certain canopies. Like, getting a "Fully Elliptical - Loaded over 2:1" license; instead of just buying one from some guy when you think you're ready?

Thats one of the best ideas I've heard.

It would probably scare as many skydivers away from the sport, but they'd still be alive right?

Sounds great and you can make require them to have 3rd class medicals too, including the drug tests. Oh wait that would knock out more than half of the people whining about other people's canopy choice.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.