BillyVance

Suzuki GSX-R1000 @ 174mph accident (VERY GRAPHIC!)

Yeah... that's why I'll stick to skydiving, MUCH safer...

I really do not know how much safer skydiving might be, if it is safer at all. But impact at 120 mph does some horrible things to your body.
----------------------------------------

I was at work (few years ago) and we heard a terrible cracking sound, went out to see what it was, a guy on a motorcycle was doing 90+ mph around a turn with a posted speed of 15 mph, he ended up flying the bike into the woods, and the cracking was his body against the trees! Needless to say he got to wear a pretty yellow bag! STUPID!

Muff Brother 3723

Riding a bike is like skydiving in that complacency kills, and you never know as much as you think you do. Continued education and honing your skills is the key to mitigating the chance of injury or death.

I fully agree! Taking stupid risks with variables beyond your control takes things out of the skill level to the luck level. We don't know if this guy was possibly even a semi-pro racer, but on a public road your skill level is now set aside and luck is the king.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, this is pretty jacked up really.

And I blame a LOT of it on insurance companies. I know as a cruiser pilot (02 Fat Boy) with an interest in sport bikes. Try to demo ride a bike sometime. It is almost impossible. Usually it requires a license and some sort of dealer demo day. And that is jsut for a demo ride. Now most of those people got their license on a Honda Rebel 250 in a parking lot IF they took a safety course at all.
Most of this is because of insurance. So...most young people enamored by rap videos, go buy a bike and get straight on the road. And in their defense, it is hard to to it any other way. Mainly because of insurance.

What I would like to see:
If you have no experience, dealer will not sell you anything a sport bike bigger than 600c.
As part of buying bike, a price is tacked on for a weekend safety course followed by a weekend track day at a track designed for sport bikes.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Yep, and now they call him Frank, short for Frankenstein. :)

And FF . . . I think you're getting dangerously close to a discussion on wingloading BSR's. This thread might have to be moved. :ph34r:

BTW, I took Rebecca's advice and didn't open pic #4. Is it really that much worse than 3?

BTW, I took Rebecca's advice and didn't open pic #4. Is it really that much worse than 3?

Yes...:|...Look at my post about internal organ identification...:S[:/]B|...

~R+R[:/]....
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

You have a point. BUT....if I landed my canopy every single day in the midst of the general public, I would fully endorse wingloading BSRs.

A drivers license with or without M endrosement grants you incredible destructive power. For the record I am not squeamish, I have had my harley at 100mph, and my new vw at 130mph (on a closed course of course ;)) But doing in the general public, and mostly because their is no resource other than hard knocks is just foolish.

Imagine if the only way to get a velocity was to buy one and fly it?
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Yeah, it killed the happy go lucky, this is a perfect day feeling....:|

I feel your pain...and we get a lot of crotch rockets flying down my street too...without any form of protection and usually speeding...:S...

~R+R:)...At night, I especially like it when you hear them screeching around the curve on the hill and flying down past my house...Joy...it's hard to see with brights on in a car...much less a cycle...B|...

In Billy's defense, he *DID* put "(VERY GRAPHIC!) in the thread title, folks...AND told everyone not to open the last two pics if they were in the least squeamish.....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And that's why I don't like most sport bike riders. They think they're special and can keep that machine on the road at very high speeds on public roads.

And I don't like most Harely riders because they think they can stop at every other bar and still be fine. Most of them need to shave and take a bath... of course, assuming they have a bathroom in their trailer - they spent all their money on the bike. Or they're dentists with too much time and money on their hands and going through a midlife crisis... they have no idea how to keep themselves out of an accident. They spend more money on branded fashion then safety gear.

Most other cruiser riders just don't have the money to buy a Harely.

And the Goldwings... christ... those old fucks shouldn't even be on the road anymore. They're not real riders anyway. Once you put a reverse gear on a bike, it no longer qualifies.

Only the sport/tourers are real hardcore guys... they're all ok with me.

;)
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Only the sport/tourers are real hardcore guys... they're all ok with me.

You've got to remember, I'm in a college town. When I go to bike night I listen to asshats go on and on about how they "did 100mph through the forrest" or "was weaving through traffic on Briarcrest." Basically incredibly stupid riding.

Me, I try to keep things sober, much better that way.

As for the bath and the shave...you're probably right.:D

There are a lot of people in this thread judging this poor soul. Yes he fucked up, he did something stupid and paid the ultimate price. But don't judge the guy. Remember that there is likely some whuffo website out there which could be showing similar pics of a skydive/BASE jump gone bad. And just imagine the same comments there. "Yah those skydivers are morons ... aren't they stupid for risking their lives ... look another Darwin award winner ... etc, etc, etc" all the same comments some of you are making about this accident.

Anyone whos does dangerous sports could very well mess up one day and end up dead. Let's try not to judge this guy anymore than we would judge ourselves.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Anyone whos does dangerous sports could very well mess up one day and end up dead. Let's try not to judge this guy anymore than we would judge ourselves.

I agree, however, do you condone high speed riding on public roads?

That's much different then a skydiving fatality.

If he would have been on a track and this happened, that's one thing, but on a public road...that's beyond reasonable.

If I did something that stupid...(going 174 mph on a rural road) then I would believe that I deserve all the criticism I can get...and when I broke my ankle...I got a lot of heat...so I have been there...done that...and deserved every bit of it...If I bit the big one by doing something that stupid...well, I would say...hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes...Criticism and discussion are byproducts...

~R+R:)...My $0.02...at least it is making people think about their own mortality and how fragile life can really be...

In Billy's defense, he *DID* put "(VERY GRAPHIC!) in the thread title, folks...AND told everyone not to open the last two pics if they were in the least squeamish.....

Well, I decided to go ahead and fix the original post... Is it better???? Or does it scream even louder "OPEN ME!!!!" :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban