BillyVance

Suzuki GSX-R1000 @ 174mph accident (VERY GRAPHIC!)

I'm beginning to think it was a set up.

I believe you aren't allowed to just move body parts till the police get there, and the morgue would come and get the body parts.

Oh wait, Billy got the picture on the Internet, so it must be true:P
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I believe you aren't allowed to just move body parts till the police get there, and the morgue would come and get the body parts.

I got them via email... and yes, I believe the same as you as far as moving parts of an accident scene where a death is involved, before authorities have had a chance to review/investigate/photograph the incident, and then only the coroner or EMTs can collect the parts... at least in the USA... I dunno about the rest of the world... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's a fuzzy shot, but I think I'm seeing the entire front of the bike, with the front wheel still attached to both sides of the fork. That aside, I'm hard pressed to imagine any sequence of impacts that would make more than two or possibly three large body parts. It looked like track leather too - it's not indestructable, but unless he rode into a grate it should hold up.

Hadn't thought about the ECU, though again how does any part of the bike survive well while he is diced?

The average speed on I5 is 90-100, with more than a few going much faster. Goosing the throttle for a short stretch isn't that gross a violation. A piece of gravel will not hurt you at that speed - the bike is very stable. Animal in the road- not so good. I do know of a rider that rode right through the middle of a deer and survived (at much lower, but high speeds).

This is why I don't ride motorcycles, much less at an insane speed... poor bastard was asking for it...

Yet you jump from planes at excess of 120mph falling straight at the ground, repeatidly. Please, explain the difference...

Matt

Hell, striking an animal at triple digit speeds in any vehicle smaller than a mac truck can be deadly. I've seen EMS use the jaws of life to pry the roof off a Civic to get the dead deer out. The driver needed reconstructive surgery and the vehicle was totalled.

He was on US Route 1 in College Park, MD, so it's unlikely he was doing over 70 mph.

I've heard of people dying in Moose/pick up truck collisions.

And I've seen video of motorcycle/deer accidents wher the rider is lucky to still have feling the lower half of his body.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yet you jump from planes at excess of 120mph falling straight at the ground, repeatidly. Please, explain the difference...

Easy, we have two parachutes, a main, and a reserve, to break our fall. ;)

On a motorcycle at that speed, what safety cushion do you have... nothing
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Brakes, Helmet, and leathers.... come on, atleast give me a decent arguement.

Indeed - track racers fall off a lot at triple digits and more often than not, they live. You're only falling a few feet to the ground while sliding forward a long ways.

At 120 mph? If you wipe out at that speed, a good set of leathers might hold your limbs together, a helmet might keep your head in one piece (maybe not still attached to the torso), but I bet there'll be a lot of broken bones, at the very least.

Hey, I'm not a motorcycle expert... ;) but I do believe if you get going fast enough, you won't have time to see a small object in the road like a rock or turtle or something, and avoid hitting it... the pictures I posted really don't show the whole story so all we can do is speculate on what caused the accident.

Yep, and that's a the track where things are set up to let you slide and slow you down - to keep you alive.

Public roads have no such safety measures.

Examples: you don't see many trees, animals, or distracted soccer moms on the track. You do see hay bales, long flat surfaces, and an on call EMS crew.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

At 120 mph? If you wipe out at that speed, a good set of leathers might hold your limbs together, a helmet might keep your head in one piece (maybe not still attached to the torso), but I bet there'll be a lot of broken bones, at the very least.

unless you hit something, it may just be an abrasion test of your gear. Denin doesn't last very long - less than 10ft. You don't see that many bikers with titanium rods in their body.

But hit a wall at speeds well under 120 and you could be toast. As slow as perhaps 20-30.

Indeed - track racers fall off a lot at triple digits and more often than not, they live. You're only falling a few feet to the ground while sliding forward a long ways.

I do believe that experienced track racers learn how to do a controlled fall in a controlled environment. Maybe even on the open road if they don't hit anything else. The tracks usually have bales of hay or the like lining the curves so they can just slide into those.

On a different tangent, Evel Knievel broke nearly every bone in his body on that fateful Las Vegas jump. Sure, he was making a world record attempt, and did initially make the landing, but lost control and went tumbling. So the potential for a severely busted body is always there regardless of experience...

Hey, I'm not a motorcycle expert... ;) but I do believe if you get going fast enough, you won't have time to see a small object in the road like a rock or turtle or something, and avoid hitting it... the pictures I posted really don't show the whole story so all we can do is speculate on what caused the accident.

But how can you say that this guy "had it comming" when you do a similar task? You do something that can kill you. So did he... so why are you any better than him?

Matt

On a different tangent, Evel Knievel broke nearly every bone in his body on that fateful Las Vegas jump. Sure, he was making a world record attempt, and did initially make the landing, but lost control and went tumbling. So the potential for a severely busted body is always there regardless of experience...

Wasn't he more like a skydiver in that stunt?! That's like landing a VX39.

Dunno, you can keep trying to prove that skydiving is safer than motorcycling, but no one outside the sports will take you seriously, and it's a wash at best for the jumpers.

I concurr it looks like a movie setup, all the bits are too clear, and the helmet and hlaf face bit has got me thinkking BS too. but stranger things have happened.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Dunno, you can keep trying to prove that skydiving is safer than motorcycling, but no one outside the sports will take you seriously, and it's a wash at best for the jumpers.

Agreed.

Actually, my whole purpose in posting those pictures and saying lookit this! was mainly for the shock value, (something I'm starting to develop a reputation for) not to start an argument. As for the which is safer, the truth is, each person decides for themselves.

Personally, I wouldn't ride motorcycles, for the simple fact that it's hard to find a safe place near home from all the yahoos trying to run me off, and I don't jump an ultra-small canopy or do bitchin' swoops like the PRO Swoop tour competitors.

The ONLY comparison I can make in this case is that riding a motorcycle at 150+ mph is like trying to see how low you can go in freefall and pull without going WHACK...

Let's just have some fun, eh? :)

Anyone whos does dangerous sports could very well mess up one day and end up dead. Let's try not to judge this guy anymore than we would judge ourselves.

I agree, however, do you condone high speed riding on public roads?

That's much different then a skydiving fatality.

If he would have been on a track and this happened, that's one thing, but on a public road...that's beyond reasonable.

If the person killed would have been a skydiver under canopy that was taken out by a plane, wuffos would still say, "that idiot that felt the need to jump out of a perfectly good airplane."

Bottom line is that people are stupid and judgemental when they don't understand something and often make offensive and insensitive comments when they should simply have said, "Oh that is sad".
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Bottom line is that people are stupid and judgemental when they don't understand something and often make offensive and insensitive comments when they should simply have said, "Oh that is sad".

Thanks for calling me "stupid and judgemental." The difference is, I'm not a "whuffo" to motorcycles. I ride, only around 1000 miles a month, but I'm riding.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That road looks awfully familiar - any idea where that happened?

I was thinking the same thing, it looks like Australia:| we have lots of guys who do those sorts of speed all the time.
I own a 26 year old bike specifically so I CAN'T do that. 'Cause I would if i could.:S

Nope, not Australia. Aussies insist on driving on the wrong side of the road :P
That means road signs are on the left side of the road for better visibility, the left turn sign in the picture would be on the wrong side. Also I do not think they have a yellow centerline down under.
Definitely not Europe (wrong kind of sign), I guess somewhere in the Americas.
Cheers.

Vale

Thanks for calling me "stupid and judgemental." The difference is, I'm not a "whuffo" to motorcycles. I ride, only around 1000 miles a month, but I'm riding.

I did not say that at all. I said people in general. Just because you specifically do not fall in this general category does not change that most of the choir you preach to, when making such insensitive comments, does.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.