grue

What's the scariest thing that's ever happened to you?

I forgot to mention having my Oyxgn faceshield tear off at 241mph and only half way through my jump[:/]
and Damn! I still had to home at 3pm in time for Church(Sat. night) Been a long time since I got to play by MY rules.[:/]

All I can say after all you've been through is that you are truly blessed and your "purpose" here isn't done yet.;) Perhaps one day that "purpose" will be clear to you if you don't know yet...:S

I will take my children seriously and my relationships lightly.
(My daughter's 1st jump is in 10 hrs from now)
18 & 15 yr daughters and 3 yr old son:)

There have been a few.

I had a jolt of electricity travel through me when an electrical box on the outside of a house blew up in my face. The sparks blinded me for about 48 hours or so.

I was driving behind a small car that was doing 60 in a 65, I was speeding up coming right up on her ass readying to pass. Girl fell asleep and went left of center on two lane highway, hit car on other side doing about 70 head on, her car spun a full rotation with the other spinning 1.5 times. Debris rained on my truck because I was so close and I came mere inches from being in the accident. Both drivers died. It was terrible...guy coming the other way was a firefighter with the unit that responded to the accident. His dad also was and was one of the responders. Terrible day.

Been a couple of other near misses on the road, including road rage.
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

There have been a few.

I had a jolt of electricity travel through me when an electrical box on the outside of a house blew up in my face. The sparks blinded me for about 48 hours or so.

I was driving behind a small car that was doing 60 in a 65, I was speeding up coming right up on her ass readying to pass. Girl fell asleep and went left of center on two lane highway, hit car on other side doing about 70 head on, her car spun a full rotation with the other spinning 1.5 times. Debris rained on my truck because I was so close and I came mere inches from being in the accident. Both drivers died. It was terrible...guy coming the other way was a firefighter with the unit that responded to the accident. His dad also was and was one of the responders. Terrible day.

Been a couple of other near misses on the road, including road rage.

Wow....your "purpose" isn't done here either. Seek it, understand it...and live it.

I saw three of my fellow sailors after our regatta get electrocuted and OMG...the smell of burnt flesh remains in my memory. They are all three still here but after the skin grafts, etc...they are struggling in so many ways. The mast hit the power line and the current went straight thru their body and out thru their big toe..they literally flew off the side of the Flying Scot...the brown sepage on their skin..OMG...and some told me to stay away as I tried to pull the power line off of Ken and John...the current was still "alive"...I'll never freakin forget that. I'm so glad they are still here but there's so much work for them to do to feel "normal" again...dammit..[:/]

Back in the early 1990's I responded to a fire the day before Christmas. We were all having a large breakfast to say goodbye due to upcoming transfers. Well needless to say an alarm was sounded for a structure fire, due the time of morning we all new this was a working fire. While en route we were advised there was the possiblity that people were traped (our worst scenario as firefighters). Upon arrival the fire was kicking ass!! As we were deploying hose lines the skipper advised there was a possibility two kids were trapped in the room he was defending. I slapped on my mask and started a seach. I will spare you the trauma , but it was fucking hot in there!! We did find the two children, but unforunately the fire was two hot and they expired due to exposure to the heat and toxic gases prior to our arrival.

This was the hottest as well as the worst fire I have ever been on in my 20 years in the fire service. not only was it one HOT S.O.B. that almost punched my ticket, it took the lives of two young girls. There is not a holiday season that goes by that I don't remeber ths fire.

Hold your children close and live life for today, tomorrow may be to late!!!

Blues,

Phil

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I used to go to the Colorado River for summer vacation with my brother and my mom when I was a kid and one year my brother and the other river rat kids got this idea that floating a tarp on the lagoon and then jumping into it would be cool. I was the smallest one and the youngest so when we all jumped in I couldn't touch the bottom and the tarp sucked me in. I just hung out there for a while wondering why I couldn't get to the top of the water. I'm not sure what happened after that but I guess everyone got back out and realized I was missing and one guy jumped in and I grabbed him. They pulled me out and just kinda stared at me like I should have been dead. I don't exactly know what happened there. I just know I was under for a very long time and I never choked on the water or anything. I think the dolphins saved me. Or maybe it was that little green guy that lives in my heater vents.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

My scariest thing was being kidnapped when I was a teenager. My life actually flashed before my eyes - I thought I was gonna die. Long story, but we escaped, but couldn't even report it cuz then our parents would have found out and we would have been in trouble for taking a ride from strangers. I did learn from the experience, but will never forget it.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

September 2003, a beautiful late summer day, walking to lunch right in front of my office.

Wait at the corner for the light to change. See the "walk" signal, hear the "ding" of the audible walk signal, step into the crosswalk, chatting with my friend. See a car enter the intersection with the light. See another car blow through the intersection against the light and think "something's wrong with the lights - he couldn't possibly be running the red light this long after it's changed!" See him hit the other car, hear that sickening crunch, realize the mess of cars is now spinning towards me and there's nothing I can do to get out of the way. Feel the impact and feel myself thrown into the air ... wait, the tree is upside down and spinning. Lose track of the revolutions and the impacts and find myself face down on the pavement.

One of the first people out to me is a former trauma nurse. We talk a little and she realizes I'm lucid. She asks me to wiggle my toes, and I can. I just can't feel my left leg at all, and my right one doesn't feel all that great, either. But at that moment, I feel a strange sense of calm, like somehow, I know I will be okay, it was just a matter of how long it would take. When they tell me they're taking me to Harborview (the local Level I trauma center) I think "Please, why are they making such a big deal about this? I don't need to go to the trauma center!" On the ride up there, I realize how hard the paramedics are working to keep me calm and amused and I start to think "Do they know something I don't?" Deep breaths deep breaths deep breaths. Focus on how cute and charming Chris the paramedic is. :$ I start, right then, to develop my trauma coping strategy. I will make friends. I will learn names. I will be the friendly patient with a sense of humor. It works. It is something else to focus on, something small and personal rather than big and scary.

Scariest part of that whole day? Not being able to talk to my family and not knowing what information they had and wanting so desperately to let them hear my voice and say "I'm going to be okay."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Scariest thing that happened to me. I thought that someone absolutely important to me was going to die. Her screams will forever be in my head. To this day, the fear for my own personal safety,no matter what the danger, seems asinine in comparison. I promise no one, family or friend, will ever need to make that sound when I am nearby ever again.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

My scariest moment would probably have to be when I was in Air Assault school school in the Army. About 100 feet off the deck, rappelling from a Black Hawk, and I see the rap master give the signal that he is about to cut the ropes.

Or maybe the time I got so sick that my throat constricted to the point where I could barely breathe, and I nearly passed out in the ER. Was pretty sure I was going to die on that one too.

Mike

2 years ago in Crosskeys, I was filming a bigway and was on the far right trail caravan. The pilot was new to formation flying and at 16,500 trying to keep up with the Casas the plane was buffeting severely when I let go and struck the tail with my head, it knocked my camera helmet forward and nearly off my head. I thought was neck was broken in freefall, I managed to land safely.

My Bonehead camera helmet saved my life, the helmet was cracked in 2 places from absorbing the shock and having a very hard head helps too. I ended up with a sprained neck and some facial injuries but was back jumping 3 weeks later again. Nothing like being in freefall with a injured neck and a heavy camera helmet waiting for 4500ft to open, thank goodness I was jumping a Spectre135 and had a perfect opening. I should be dead!!!!!

Overtaking a car on my motorcycle when he turned without indicating.

I struck his front wheel at approx 80mph (I tried to accelerate to get past him).

I went over the bars (through the bike screen) and landed 100ft down the road on the verge.

I broke a couple of fingers, toes, dislocated both shoulders, my right elbow, nerve damage in my neck and left arm, brusied my spleen, diaphragm, left lung, and right thigh.

The scariest thing?

I cut my dick.

Ever seen 3 litres of blood?

Its a lot... a LOT.:SB|

Thankfully no lasting damage.:o
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

do you all know that sometime when you enter the Interstate you have an extra lane for a while, and sometimes you are taken directly into the right lane of the highway?

I learned to always look for that. Thank God for my fast reflexes and the inspiration to check the rearview mirror even though at the time I thougt I was safe in the merging lane.
:$

I was 21 and had just graduated college. My friends and I were drinking and went swimming in this place that time releases water every few minutes. I swam out too far, and didn't realize I was running out of time. By the time my friends were waving fantically for me to come back to the edge, it was too late. I was swept under and caught at the bottom in a major current. I remember scratching and clawing at the ground, trying to kick my way up to the top. I think I swallowed a few gallons of water. Next thing I know, my friend Steve was pulling me out onto the rocks. It happened so fast, but I was sure I was done.

Did you also worry if you we're going to freak out your student on the ground when you took off your goggles and your eyes were bleeding?

Didn't even think about that. Was too busy trying to keep my heart from exploding out of my chest, and once we were on the ground trying to keep the shaking from being obvious.

For some reason the video "didn't turn out"; every time I show it to jumpers (not often, still scares me to watch it) they are blown away by how fast we were spinning.

And I did almost 100 more tandems after that! WTF was I thinking....:S

What's the scariest thing that's ever happened to you?

Cave diving in Mexico...

Several links in that old..."Chain of Disaster"
started coming together.

Like jumping...the thought going through your mind is~

Fuck up here, you die!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

When my now 5 yro old son was hit by a car (he was 18M) we were coming home from trick or treating, my sister in law was holding him and she was hit from behind. Stupid asshold was f'd up on something, lied to the cops, and then didnt even have insurance. (we found this out after the fact)

My son was very lucky, only had a mild lateral skull fracture, he spent less than 24 hrs in the hospital, and is totally fine today. However, I still occasionaly wake up at night in cold sweats over it and have to run upstairs to check on him.

I think the scariest time for me was a snowboard accident in a competition back in '96. I was probably going about 20-25 mph down boardercross course when I hit a roller and got unbalanced in the air. Next thing I knew I went head first into a section of trees and was feeling the branches breaking on my helmet. Than I felt left knee hit one tree and pop as my neck and upper back slid against another tree. I just laid there for a few minutes slowly starting to move to make sure I was okay. That was the first time I had ever worn a helmet snowboarding and I know it saved my life that day.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly