kansasskydiver

Problems sleeping...Need advice please

For some time now I've been having trouble sleeping, especially if I've got a lot of my mind, or am just excited about something, or start thinking. My body is tired but I can't get my mind to shut off. I toss and turns for hours before finally falling asleep for any adequate time. I've thought about trying some sleeping aid but I'm concerned of their addicting nature and or the way my mind woulf function if I didn't take them one night, i.e. keeping me awake thinking I need them, then becoming a habit.

I'd appreciate some advice or experience from others with a similar problem. It's 6am, I've been up since midnight, got maybe 1.5-2 hours of sleep on the couch then spent till 2:30 tossing and turning in bed thinking about a million different things. I'm not stressed or worried about anything, they're just thoughts, like skydives or how to make a new video, or code a page or just stupid stuff. I'm tired, I'm rambling and I just wanna exhaust myself now so I can get some decent sleep:(
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Try Melatonin. I've been taking it for years for the same reason of not being able to stop thinking at night so I can sleep. It's sold in the viatamin aisle and works with the seratonin in your brain. I have 3 mg pills, but I bite it in half because I don't need that much. It just gently makes me a little sleepy and I get at least 6 hours of sleep with no sleeping pill hangover in the morning.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Can you sleep normally without them? This doesn't seem to be an every night thing for me, but is ocurring more frequently now. About 3 times in the last week now.

I've never taken any type of sleeping aid, so I'm assuming the hang over isn't too fun is it[:/]
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Regular exercise, some form of yoga and a good book should take your mind of things and let your body do what it naturally should.
Also, what kind of mattress do you sleep on? Many people don't realize that a crappy mattres can ruin their sleep.
Not being able to sleep sucks, I hope you find a way to catch some Zs!
Good luck!

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

It's not a quick fix, but learning how to meditate can really help with this kind of thing in the long run. And the best part is that it can help with some other types of sleep problems. It'll take a couple of weeks of practice, though.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Exercise works. Also, don't watch TV, read books or do anything in your bed except sleep. That trains your mind that beds are for sleeping, not doing other things. Removing caffeine from your diet can also help.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Exercise works. Also, don't watch TV, read books or do anything in your bed except sleep. That trains your mind that beds are for sleeping, not doing other things.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nothing but sleep ? :$
Cool, gotta find a new place :o( I've got no demon smiley :()

Sleep wise ...a couple of beers works every time for me, but then again I don't recomend this :S.
Hope you get it sorted.

-------------------------------------------------
Please forgive the sp errors, I have dyslexia. Don't laugh ... the last time i went to a toga party, I went dressed as a goat !!

Or you could always try what Justin takes. Not sure what it's called, but you get some pretty interesting hallucinations if you don't go to sleep right away, from what I've heard.

probably ambien ... if you allow yourself to go to sleep in the half hour after taking it, you get the best sleep ever ...

if you fight it, or take some uppers, you got an interesting eight hours coming .... ;)
This ad space for sale.

I used to have horrible insomnia, so I know how it feels.

One thing about exercise: it's going to work differently for everybody, but for me, doing it right before I go to bed keeps me up LATER. Since I started working out in the mornings, I can fall asleep at 10 with no problem, which I've NEVER been able to do before. As recently as 6 months ago, I would stay up until 2 every night, just lying in bed wide awake.

Work out hard in the morning. That'll do it.

I have the exact same problem. I've had it for years. I can be completely exhausted, but when I get into bed, my mind starts racing a mile a minute with all kinds of thoughts, and I lay there for hours before I fall asleep.
Unfortunately, I have not found anything that works consistently for me. I tried the herbal sleep aids, didn't work. I tried a rx, didn't work. Tried the warm milk, too.
The thing I do when I know I'm tired is I turn the tv on. Usually if I concentrate on listening to that, my mind won't start running thru the thought train and I'll fall asleep. It doesn't always work, but sometimes. I also go in the hot tub right before bed, that works sometimes, too.
The funny thing for me is, when I am on vacation, I sleep like a baby. I don't think about a damn thing, I just go off to sleepyland. Thats one of the reasons vacations are so important to me! ;)

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Try Melatonin. .

I use this as well. The secret I have found though is that you don't want to take it until you turn out the lights to go to sleep. I've been told it augmenets a chemical that your brain produces in the dark.

I've got some suggestions.

Firstly, exercise. Go out for a run or something every day. Doing that will afford you the opportunity to get your thinking done and over with. Also, you'll feel better because of the endorphins, and you'll be more sleepy when you come down off of them.

Secondly - don't drink alcohol. While it can be a depressant, it can also make things difficult for your sleeping. You'll find that alcohol gets you thinking more, and leave you getting a bit more concerned.

Third - go get some help to develop coping mechanisms for stress. Odds are stress has a lot to do with it considering your statements about things you need to do. Obviously it's on your mind, and you've developed a mechanism to cope with these things at night night time. I get insomnia when I'm overloaded with work and when I'm concerned about things.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I have seen several patients come into our office who were prescribed medications for insomnia and they can't get off of them. Anyone using them just be careful. Remember most sleep aids at one point were used for other things prior to helping with insomnia. Once you start using a substance that changes the natural chemical releases in your body you then can't function properly without them. Things that normally cause insomnia are eating, having caffeine or alcohol 2 hours prior to sleeping, and stress. Try changing you daily habits, find a way to relieve your stress load and see how that goes. If nothing works then consult a physician and go from there.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I know EXACTLY what you mean. The most common time it strikes for me is the night before I am going to the DZ. I have been trying valerean root pills. I find they work great if you are relaxed, just not sleepy - but on nights like you are describing I could munch them all night and they won't help. I might try melatonin some time. A girl at the DZ said manderins have an oil in them which is good for insomniacs.

Talk to your doctor. Insomnia is a common problem, and doctors are used to helping patients deal with it. I usually only get insomnia during finals, and benadryl or chlortrimeton or nyquil works fine for me, but everyone's situation is different. You need to figure out what's causing your insomnia, whether it's a physical problem, stress related, or whatever, and then you can come up with the right treatment. Sometimes it's medication, sometimes OTC stuff, sometimes counseling. Work with your doctor to find what the right treatment for you is.