Brian425

Small DZ vs Large DZ

So I've had a chance to move out of the nest a little and check out some other DZ's. Here's a little of what I learned when comparing large DZ's to small DZ's. My experiences at both DZ's are below

Large DZ - The Ranch

Turbines and lots of them. Want to get on a load and it's done. Great gear store, nice load organizers, fast rides to altitude. Kick ass parties at the bonfire. Always something to do and someone to do it with. Top notch coaches and incredible guest instructors (Scott Miller classes, Brian Germain at Safety day, etc) come out to play with us. You name it, it's at the Ranch. RW, Free Flying, CRW, etc.

Small DZ - Skydive Jersey Shore

A real family vibe. The Cessna's running steady all day. Sometimes real life (Tandems who supplement our addiction) means you have to wait a little for a load. The DZO is always there, doing tandems, instructing, coaching, goofing around when he has time. It's the type of place where everyone trys to work together to get enough jumps for all. I haven't hung around for the parties; but, I've heard some stories and I might have to hang around.

I like both. Both have good and bad things. Well, basically it's all good, I'm getting to jump. They are just different. I think that low number jumpers should try both. The Ranch taught me how to deal with 20 canopies in the sky. Jersey Shore gives you the luxury of hanging around and flying your canopy with only 2 or 3 other people. The Ranch will always be home; but, Skydive Jersey Shore will be my Summer/Beach DZ.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

They are just different. I think that low number jumpers should try both.

That's the best way to put it.

Personally, I've been at some very large DZs, some big DZs, some very small DZs and I'm a "plank owner" for a small DZ that is growing up into a medium sized turbine DZ, and all in all, I really prefer medium and smaller DZs. Time and time again I have much more fun at those sorts of DZs. Sure, the big DZs with large jumpships is great, but I'd much rather spend my time in a 182 going to 10k with a core group of jumpers that understand the life of a skydiver then to 14k with an Otter load of folks I've never seen in my life and aren't willing to talk or jump with low time jumpers.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's why I like the 2 smaller DZ that I'm at, it's easy to find people with higher jump numbers willing to jump with a 40+ jump newbie and give lots of feedback too. Plus when I fuck up, it's small enough that at least one person is watching and can (nicely) ream me out so I learn for the next time.

I'm also really uncomfortable in any situation involving lots of people, I'm just more comfortable in the small DZ setting for that reason. Though I'd eventually like to hit the larger ones (I have a cousin that just bought a house 1/2 hr from Deland:)
Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I love big dzs with a small dz feel to it. It's one reason that I really enjoy SDC. The owners (Melissa and Rook) are out there jumping with anyone that asks. They hang out afterwards. Actually, one of the best parts of SDC is that most people hang out at the dz afterwards. It's a HUGE dz, but everyone knows everyone.

I "grew up" on a small dz that shut down. Some of the people that have "raised me" in the sport have their own small dzs and/or in the process of getting their own small dz. My favorite part of small dzs is getting to see my friends live out a dream of starting a dropzone.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I'm a low numbers guy and I love both. I did my AFF at a nice small place and then went to one of the multi turbine big DZ places with lots of 4 way teams that don't speak english (primarily, when engaged they speak it better than I do)

Each DZ has something positive to offer, early in my skydiving career I feel that I've gained from both.

Now I'm hoping to get enough jumps and cash saved up to make a day or two of the WFFC. That looks like an absolute HOOT.

Cielos Azures

Mo

I have jumped at about 15-20 different drop zones ranging from the largest one(Perris) to ones that are so small that they have only a cessna-182. Almost all the dropzones I have jumped at, I have positive memories from. A couple of them, I don't know if I will jump at again because I really don't like them as a whole. But I won't name them because even there I have good freinds. I just think the number of dicks out weighs the cool people too greatly there.
Still there is one dropzone that I think stands above the rest. I thank management for seeing to it that is stays that way by permanently banning the dicks that have tried to change that. That dropzone is ofcourse Skydive Dallas. You can be sure that even though the otter holds 22 people it doesn't mean that I won't know every person on the load (that is a dropzone regular ofcourse).
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Jen,
If you go to a large DZ on a regular basis, you will find tons of people to help out. I guess it's all comes down to what environment you like the best.

I guess it all comes down to the people. If you have a 182, cool people and a good pilot, you will have fun.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I was just thinking about this. Now that I have my A, the world is my oyster! :D But, seriously, I am very curious what another DZ is like. I jump at SDC. I love that we have such great equipment, world-class instructors, and awesome planes. Also I think its to my benefit that I've had to get used to jumping with 23+ other canopies in the air. But it can get pretty hectic there. And sometimes the vibe is pretty intense with all the teams training, competitions going on and what not.

I would like to experience a small DZ where there are no teams training for nationals, no huge groups of tandems waiting to go up, no huge planes. Just me and 2 other guys in the sky, and time to just chill before the next load goes up. Ya, that sounds cool. B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I would like to experience a small DZ where there are no teams training for nationals,

Lots of small dzs have teams training for Nationals. Plus, SDC isn't really a "team" dz (like DeLand and Perris.)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I would like to experience a small DZ where there are no teams training for nationals,

Lots of small dzs have teams training for Nationals. Plus, SDC isn't really a "team" dz (like DeLand and Perris.)

Ok, well I don't have anything to compare it to, so I don't know! :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

I know the club made a big difference a the Ranch. Now that the club is gone, I think that the culture should stay the same. There is a core group of jumpers that work hard to keep the place a really nice place to jump. I don't think that will change with the end of the club. Too much hard work was put into creating a fun and exciting atmosphere.

I'm just a newbie there; but, I always feel that there are 100 people on the side waiting to help me out if I need it. It's a pretty cool feeling.

Plank owner is a navy term, the first crew of a new ship (or boat for you underwater types) are considered "plank owners." They're the ones that started the ship's history and shook down all the systems, etc.

I guess the short answer is a plank owner was there in the beginning.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was just thinking about this. Now that I have my A, the world is my oyster! :D But, seriously, I am very curious what another DZ is like. I jump at SDC. I love that we have such great equipment, world-class instructors, and awesome planes. Also I think its to my benefit that I've had to get used to jumping with 23+ other canopies in the air. But it can get pretty hectic there. And sometimes the vibe is pretty intense with all the teams training, competitions going on and what not.

I would like to experience a small DZ where there are no teams training for nationals, no huge groups of tandems waiting to go up, no huge planes. Just me and 2 other guys in the sky, and time to just chill before the next load goes up. Ya, that sounds cool. B|

I told you, jump on the South Shore some weekend and come jump with me at Indiana Skydiving Academy. Nice wide body 182, really relaxed vibe, lots of fun. I'll even pick you up at the train station. You just have to pick a weekend that I can sneak off from work.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

Ok, you're on!! :))

I told you, jump on the South Shore some weekend and come jump with me at Indiana Skydiving Academy. Nice wide body 182, really relaxed vibe, lots of fun. I'll even pick you up at the train station. You just have to pick a weekend that I can sneak off from work.

PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site