Sabre2th

How the hell to get avatar so small??

what program are you using?

I ran into the same problem, that I would save as Jpeg 58k or something like that and when I went to post it was 61k or larger....

If your using Photoshop use the save for Web, quick and easy

Mike's guide to avatars using built-in programs

1. open picture in paint

2. click the box icon and click/drag a box over the portion of the pic you wish to make the avatar

3. right click inside the box and select "cut"

4. go to file menu and click new. Do not save the pic you have just modified.

5. go to a corner of the blank background that shows up and pull it up into the corner, making it smaller than the cut area of the original pic

6. right click in the white box and select "paste". If you are asked to resize, select 'yes'.

7. go to the image menu and select "attributes". This will tell you how large the picture is.

8. go back to the image menu and select "stretch/skew". Make small changes. Percentages over 100% will increase the size, less than 100% will decrease the size. Did I mention to make SMALL changes?

9. continue making changes until the avatar size is less than 65 x 75 pixels. File size must be less than 10kb.

10. save the pic (as a .jpg - .bmp will be much larger) and edit your profile to add it as your avatar.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

CrazyIvan posted a link to a great little utility...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Half way down the page on the right side..D/L ImageResizer.exe and install...

After that downsizing a pic is as simple as right clicking the pic ...click resize....then select the size....poof its done..:)
Thanks again Ivan :)

Mike, thanks for the directions, I'm finally able to make one of these things. However, I'm not happy with this one and now I can't change it to another picture. The FAQ's offer no guidance at all.

Lots of you guys change your avatars all the time - so how do you do THAT ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Mike's guide to avatars using built-in programs

1. open picture in paint

2. click the box icon and click/drag a box over the portion of the pic you wish to make the avatar

3. right click inside the box and select "cut"

4. go to file menu and click new. Do not save the pic you have just modified.

5. go to a corner of the blank background that shows up and pull it up into the corner, making it smaller than the cut area of the original pic

6. right click in the white box and select "paste". If you are asked to resize, select 'yes'.

7. go to the image menu and select "attributes". This will tell you how large the picture is.

8. go back to the image menu and select "stretch/skew". Make small changes. Percentages over 100% will increase the size, less than 100% will decrease the size. Did I mention to make SMALL changes?

9. continue making changes until the avatar size is less than 65 x 75 pixels. File size must be less than 10kb.

10. save the pic (as a .jpg - .bmp will be much larger) and edit your profile to add it as your avatar.

Paul's way... (AggieDave's is probably simmilar)

1. Open Photoshop
2. Image size = 75x65
3. save for web
4. :P
5. umm you want more than 3 steps???
6. OK
7. close Photoshop
8. :D
9. almost done
10. make profile changes

Save for web sometimes doesn't give you the right file size if there are a lot of colors in the picture. Sometimes cropping, then flattening the layers, followed by save as Jpg and selecting 3 with progressive (3 scans) is needed.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Lots of you guys change your avatars all the time - so how do you do THAT ?

Go in to edit your profile and at the bottom where your avatar is shown, click browse, choose another file to replace your current avatar.
Sometimes you have to refresh your screen after your avatar changes or you wont see the new one.

any chance you are on mac cause i could tell you then.

-
-
Yes I have iphoto and all I seem to do is cut my photos up and it just sucks not knowing!!!AaRRRHHHH..

IU would really appreciate it.

-
-
-
-
"LIFE IS GOOD - LIVE IT"
There's a little bit of EveL Knievel in all of us.

Then make sure the monitor stays plugged in while you gently place it in the dryer. Set on high heat for 30-40 minutes. Voila!

-
-
That was a crack up.;)
I can't even attatch the photo here as it is too big.
If someone can e-mail me and give them the pic .
cheers big ears.
-
-
"LIFE IS GOOD - LIVE IT"
There's a little bit of EveL Knievel in all of us.