wilmshurst

War of the Worlds

Anyone seen this movie yet and if so, what did you think about it?

Here are my thoughts. Movie was mostly true to the original story - eg, with story from perspective of one man (Cruise's character). Could have done with some more tension/danger for the characters (maybe I'm desensitised). Aliens were far too big-eyed and cutesy for killers. Soundtrack sounds real spooky but didn't notice it at all during the movie. Overall, pretty good but I could have come out more freaked out. Something different and different is good in Hollywood. 7.5/10

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

minimal 'we are America saving the world, gotta love us' stuff or blatant display of US flags, etc

If you don't like U.S. flags in U.S.-made movies set in the U.S., then: 1) Don't watch it, or; 2) Watch only your own New Zealand movies.

psst... We're not in SC...

Besides, just because it's made (in the US?) by Americans, starring Americans, Hollywood's audience isn't just the US. Lotsa box office bucks outside these borders...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I have no problem with the American flag and highly admire yanks for their patriotism. Us Kiwis are getting there re being proud of our country and it's a very cool thang. You would have to admit that some movies - eg, Independence Day - go way over the top.

If you are looking for an action movie such as Aliens then you will infact be disappointed.
War of the Worlds is more of a disaster movie (not saying that the movie is a disaster) mixed with a thriller (although not as scary or atmospheric as say Signs).
Some solid acting and not as much special FXs as were developed and could have been released with the movie.
Haven't seen too many good movies lately, so this one is worth a look IMHO.

If you are looking for an action movie such as Aliens then you will infact be disappointed.
War of the Worlds is more of a disaster movie (not saying that the movie is a disaster) mixed with a thriller (although not as scary or atmospheric as say Signs).
Some solid acting and not as much special FXs as were developed and could have been released with the movie.
Haven't seen too many good movies lately, so this one is worth a look IMHO.

Well if you like Tom Cruise movies and you havent seen too many good ones lately, then try "Collateral" if you can imagine Tom Cruise playing a hit man who has this constant 'smirk' about everything like everything is a joke while he's very coldly whacking people out on routine business (he even carries a briefcase just like any other 'businessman').

This shit was really freaky, watch that one and tell me you didnt like it.

Bad movie. Not worth the money. Good FX and a couple good tense moments. It got preachy with Tim Robbins as well (to show how evil humanity is and how pointless war is).

Too much like all of his other movies - shot like it was Minority Report with that nasty fuzzy grey-blue filter that hides the special effects, some terrible blue-screen moments, a very obvious back lot moment with the red weeds, lots of moments stolen from ET, Close Encounters, Jaws, and the original (better) WoTW movie. And how many more times do we need a close up on Tom Cruise's face and that bulging vein? How many more moments could they put into the script to allow him to overact? Also - what the hell was the point of the red weeds and farming for blood? They go about killing everyone then suddenly need humans for farming? huh? They spend a million years planning this and waiting for humanity to grow in size and this is the best they can do? Why bother to wait until superpowers exist? Why plant machines that could easily be outdated a million years later? Why show aliens looking at a family album? They were here a million years ago and were not introduced to Earth's micro-organisms then?? All of the world is burning yet nothing in Boston is touched?? It was nice of his in-laws to be dressed in their Sunday's best for the end of the world as well. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

You know what this movie was? It was about how divorce/dysfunctional families can effect children set against the end of the world.

The ending? blah. It was as if they were filming and went "ok we can end here now" and just throw in a monologue that makes no real sense to try to add closure.

I think the fact that even Spielberg is doing remakes now (what next? a comic book adaptation? A sequel of a comic book adaptation?) should be the final nail in the coffin for Hollywood.

Oh, and speaking of which: Dakota Fanning is yet another sign of the Apocalypse.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

thankfully was not overwhelmed with Tom Cruise's presence.

For that, Tom Cruise would need overwhelming presence :P
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I think the fact that even Spielberg is doing remakes now (what next? a comic book adaptation? A sequel of a comic book adaptation?) should be the final nail in the coffin for Hollywood.

Oh, and speaking of which: Dakota Fanning is yet another sign of the Apocalypse.

This isn't a remake anymore than Romeo & Juliet would be a remake. It's a film based on a classic piece of literature; that's not the same as a remake.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT- If you havent seen the movie you may want to skip this post.

OK so I get the premise of the aliens burying their ships under the ground for eons but WTF was the point?

so they were waiting for man kind to grow large enough in numbers to turn us into furtilizer? Pretty lame.

Cool special effects and the idea that this was taken from the the ideas of the radio broadcast in the 50 was cool but I was hoping for a more voilent fight from the humans.

and even though you gotta go in with the "its a movie" additude don't you think 2-3 days is pretty quick for and infection to kill all of the aliens?

I love the fact the cruise killed robbins- now if they would only do that in real life!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

This isn't a remake anymore than Romeo & Juliet would be a remake. It's a film based on a classic piece of literature; that's not the same as a remake.

That would be easier to agree with, if someone hadn't already done it.

I guess we could argue the toss over that one for a while, but doesn't Mr Spielberg have more creative things to do with his time and talent?

Either way, I'm sure I'm going to end up watching the damn thing anyway... I'll stay up late and drunk one night, or catch a plane somewhere, and Tom Cruise and his inevitable little sidekick will be there. Waiting.
--

Bad movie. Not worth the money. Good FX and a couple good tense moments. It got preachy with Tim Robbins as well (to show how evil humanity is and how pointless war is).

The above statement sums it up pretty well for me too. I'll add though that Dakota Fanning's talent was absolutely wasted on her character. Seems like all she did was scream or cry through the whole movie.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

and even though you gotta go in with the "its a movie" additude don't you think 2-3 days is pretty quick for and infection to kill all of the aliens?

Well, I don't know about you but it scared the living hell out of me. I went to the emergency room and insisted on getting that measels shot I missed as a kid. :D

Not bad, but nothing like the original movie....

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman